• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

12 april newbie issues

Sporkie

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese way April 2017
French way April 2018
Hi,

Well, what looked like a distant issue definitely got real today. After a quick visit to my home country on 8/4, I will be arriving in Biarritz on the 12th of April. For the last months I've been trying to put all time that I had into training for my Camino start in may, Sadly because of circumstances I had to decide to leave asap. Hopefully my body is prepared enough and ready for it.

For weeks I thought I had plenty of time to learn the ropes on how to walk my Camino and now ofcourse I feel like I'm short in time.

I do have some questions I would like to have a answer for :

1. Any apps you would recommend about the Camino ?
2. Any other people starting around that time ?

And all other info you guys feel I should know is welcome...

Thank you

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Sporkie,
In my opinion the "easiest" way is http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/ . Also, in my opinion, I would book your first two nights and then just see where you end up each day. In April 2015 we had no problem finding a bed with the exception of one town near Santiago (Palas de Rei I think), but that was in May and it may have been on a weekend. As for other advice, keep your phone charged on day one over the mountain, carry a little food with you, pack light, and enjoy all of the gifts of spring on the Camino. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Sporkie,
In my opinion the "easiest" way is http://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/ . Also, in my opinion, I would book your first two nights and then just see where you end up each day. In April 2015 we had no problem finding a bed with the exception of one town near Santiago (Palas de Rei I think), but that was in May and it may have been on a weekend. As for other advice, keep your phone charged on day one over the mountain, carry a little food with you, pack light, and enjoy all of the gifts of spring on the Camino. Buen Camino.

Thank you so much. I just contacted that company and waiting for a answer. I also booked the first night in SJPDP. I'm surprised about the price. I hope it gets cheaper on the way. Thanks again

At this time of year there should not be a bed race, so no need to book albergues.

Buen camino.
thanks, I think you are right. Maybe its just better to see in the beginning especially what your body can do mile wise. Thanks again

There are so many threads to answer your questions. Why not try them out first?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are so many threads to answer your questions. Why not try them out first?
Hi,

I get what you are saying, but have you read them ? For someone "new" it gets very confusing when 25 people answer all different things on the same question. And go in discussion.

I was reading through them all day and what I found so far as example.
1. you take a expensive taxi to Bayonne train station and then take a train. However if you book the train 2 weeks is advance you might get 50% discount. If there is no strike.
2. Ow yes that day trains strike
3. It better to take a taxi all the way to SJPDP as its cheaper...
4. No its not you need to go by train...
5. I would not fly to Biarritz its easier to take train from Paris.
6. Paris ? I went over Barcelona...

I understand I need to de research and I been on this site a while now. But not having experience only makes these answers confusing.

Peter: answered me. Use this company for pick up and drop off... I checked prices and its cheaper then taxi and train. Done! My question is erased and my transport booked.

No training for week before Camino start. You are ready. Easy pace for few days

Hi,

Well, what looked like a distant issue definitely got real today. After a quick visit to my home country on 8/4, I will be arriving in Biarritz on the 12th of April. For the last months I've been trying to put all time that I had into training for my Camino start in may, Sadly because of circumstances I had to decide to leave asap. Hopefully my body is prepared enough and ready for it.

For weeks I thought I had plenty of time to learn the ropes on how to walk my Camino and now ofcourse I feel like I'm short in time.

I do have some questions I would like to have a answer for :

1. Any apps you would recommend about the Camino ?
2. Any other people starting around that time ?

And all other info you guys feel I should know is welcome...

Thank you
I am starting the 13 from SJPdP. Taking a train the 12 from Paris to Bayonne to SJPdP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

I get what you are saying, but have you read them ? For someone "new" it gets very confusing when 25 people answer all different things on the same question. And go in discussion.

I was reading through them all day and what I found so far as example.
1. you take a expensive taxi to Bayonne train station and then take a train. However if you book the train 2 weeks is advance you might get 50% discount. If there is no strike.
2. Ow yes that day trains strike
3. It better to take a taxi all the way to SJPDP as its cheaper...
4. No its not you need to go by train...
5. I would not fly to Biarritz its easier to take train from Paris.
6. Paris ? I went over Barcelona...

I understand I need to de research and I been on this site a while now. But not having experience only makes these answers confusing.

Peter: answered me. Use this company for pick up and drop off... I checked prices and its cheaper then taxi and train. Done! My question is erased and my transport booked.
What company is this please? It’s my first Camino starting in May and as you said. A thousand different answers from people leaves me feeling that there’s loads of options sojust go with the flow and see what happens! However I’d like to keep my costs down...!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For my first Camino Frances in 2014 I trained during the Fall & Winter before I started in the last part of April. For my second Camino in 2017, I did not train at all before I also left in the last part of April . Both Caminos went well, so do not worry and just enjoy probably one of the best experiences of your life like I did.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Indeed @Sporkie it can be very confusing. There is so much information here and so many opinions.

But thankfully the Camino is not something you can really get 'wrong'. You plan what you can, because that eases the anxiety.

Then you turn up and walk. And it works itself out really quickly.

Express Bourricot are really good, I'm using them again this year.

As for an App? I use the Brierley Guide scanned onto my phone.

For my first Camino Frances in 2014 I trained during the Fall & Winter before I started in the last part of April. For my second Camino in 2017, I did not train at all before I also left in the last part of April . Both Caminos went well, so do not worry and just enjoy probably one of the best experiences of your life like I did.[/QU
Indeed @Sporkie it can be very confusing. There is so much information here and so many opinions.

But thankfully the Camino is not something you can really get 'wrong'. You plan what you can, because that eases the anxiety.

Then you turn up and walk. And it works itself out really quickly.

Express Bourricot are really good, I'm using them again this year.

As for an App? I use the Brierley Guide scanned onto my phone.
Thanks, I'm all set to have a amazing adventure with hopefully friendships, laughter and of course silence. Thank you for your answer and ill check the app out tonight

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.