• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

12 days mid october... Where should i walk?

omi1

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to SDC (2014)
Porto to SDC (2015)
Astorga to SDC(2017)
SJPdeP toBurgos (Oct 2018)
I have decided to take a quick 2 weeks on Camino from 13 to 27 October. Given travelling time, I think 12 days walking is possible. I don't mind not ending up in sdc as this will be my 4th camino, but first in autumn. Previously I walked from porto, from leon and from Astorga to sdc . I prefer 20km days, but will stretch to 24 km. Any ideas for a route?. I'm torn between Astorga to sdc (again!) and Roncesvalles to burgos. I'm female, travelling alone, so like to have other pilgrims around, whilst wanting to avoid a bed race. If there is a "drier" stretch, that would be good, as not crazy about walking in driving rain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I ould def do Roncevalles/Burgos or if you want shorter pamplona/burgos. I have walked 3 times. I LOVE the stretch till Burgos. I did this as a woman alone. Just always made sure I was near other pilgrims. Just common sense.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I ould def do Roncevalles/Burgos or if you want shorter pamplona/burgos. I have walked 3 times. I LOVE the stretch till Burgos. I did this as a woman alone. Just always made sure I was near other pilgrims. Just common sense.

Yeah, I have heard that many people love that stretch.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Los Arcos until.

Or, meseta until.

Buen camino.
Thank you... Do you think the Meseta would have slightly drier weather than the stretches on either side?

Check Camino de Madrid on this forum. Very beautiful but lonely at times ....Based on the time you have you can skip some km at the beginning and you have good train connection from Sahagun back to Madrid at the end....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have decided to take a quick 2 weeks on Camino from 13 to 27 October. Given travelling time, I think 12 days walking is possible. I don't mind not ending up in sdc as this will be my 4th camino, but first in autumn. Previously I walked from porto, from leon and from Astorga to sdc . I prefer 20km days, but will stretch to 24 km. Any ideas for a route?. I'm torn between Astorga to sdc (again!) and Roncesvalles to burgos. I'm female, travelling alone, so like to have other pilgrims around, whilst wanting to avoid a bed race. If there is a "drier" stretch, that would be good, as not crazy about walking in driving rain.

Ronzev
Thank you... Do you think the Meseta would have slightly drier weather than the stretches on either side?

Meseta flat but high up and just as likely to rain as anywhere else. Nowhere to shelter if it rains. Roncesvalles to Burgos 11 days easy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Pamplona to Burgos has the benefit of good transport links to Madid at either end. Le Puy to Conques is beautiful, but, in October would be cold and rainy - and you'd be alone for almost all of the time. The CF has the advantage that, if you want company, there's always plenty of it!

Pamplona has an average high of 19 degrees in October, with an average 8 days of rain, Burgos 17 degrees, average 7 days of rain. Looks good odds to me.

I am going to be my first time on the Camino from 17 Oct to 31 Oct, and I am starting in Sarria and walking the last 111 km, plus going on to Finisterre and Muxia. Perhaps that might work for you, and we may surely meet one another as we Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.

@omi1 , as you have walked in Spain many times I join with @StephenChad in suggesting a start at Le Puy. It is quite straight forward getting there from, for example, Charles de Gaulle airport via Lyon.

Not certain of the public transport away from Conques so suggest you aim for Figeac.

Michelin guide 161 Chemin de Compostelle shows 12 stages ranging from 15 km to 30 km with a daily average of 21 km. As gite are quite numerous you should be able to create your own stages to meet your needs.

I walked April 2016 and was always meeting other walkers.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Camino Portuguese from Porto is easily done in that time. We walked it that last two weeks of October 2017. Had a great walk. Enough other pilgrims to for a community. Good alburgues (on central route at least).

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go with Pamplona/Roncesvalles to Burgos. Seems like the best mix of beautiful, accessible, sociable and affordable.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am going to be my first time on the Camino from 17 Oct to 31 Oct, and I am starting in Sarria and walking the last 111 km, plus going on to Finisterre and Muxia. Perhaps that might work for you, and we may surely meet one another as we Trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.
Matt, I hope you have a ball. First camino is the best! Buen camino.

Camino Portuguese from Porto is easily done in that time. We walked it that last two weeks of October 2017. Had a great walk. Enough other pilgrims to for a community. Good alburgues (on central route at least).
That route is great, I did it a few years back.

@omi1 , as you have walked in Spain many times I join with @StephenChad in suggesting a start at Le Puy. It is quite straight forward getting there from, for example, Charles de Gaulle airport via Lyon.

Not certain of the public transport away from Conques so suggest you aim for Figeac.

Michelin guide 161 Chemin de Compostelle shows 12 stages ranging from 15 km to 30 km with a daily average of 21 km. As gite are quite numerous you should be able to create your own stages to meet your needs.

I walked April 2016 and was always meeting other walkers.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
This is a route I will try in the future, but in spring or early summer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.