• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

12 year old forced to walk

A

Anemone del Camino

When I left the albergue in Sevilla in March I met a 12 year old boy and the French man who was accompanying him on a walk feom Sevilla to Santiago, to Fisterra and then Irun. They will be in Bilbao tomorrow, both running out of steam.

The boy is walking this as a condition for him to be allowed back in school in the fall. Part of a court arrangement.

Just heard back back from his cowalker this evening.

Turns out that despite letting foster home and classmates know the addresses of where he would be able to receive mail I am the only one who ever sent him anything: an adventure novel and maple syrup candies, one per chapter!

I am heart broken, because I know how much he looked forward to whatever ot was he would be receiving at the poste restante. Not even a postcard from his foster home. 12 years old. Walking with a stranger, not on the Frances, full 20-25-30km stages, and even doing a double 50km stage. No music, emails, and apparently no poste restante either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
When I left the albergie in Sevilla in March I met a 12 year old boy and the French man who was accompanying him on a walk feom Sevilla to Santiago, to Fisterra and then Irun. They will be in Bilbao tomorrow, both running out of steam.

The boy is walking this as a condition for him to be allowed back in school in the fall. Part of a court arrangement.

Turns out that despite letting foster home and classmates know the addresses of where he would be able to receive mail I am the only one who ever sent him anything: an adventure novel and maple syrup candies, one per chapter!

I am heart broken, because I know how much he looked forward to whatever ot was he would be receiving at the poste restante. Not even a postcard from his foster home. 12 years old. Walking with a stranger, not on the Frances, full 20-25-30km stages, and even doing a double 50km stage. No music, emails, and apparently no poste restante either.

That's so sad! Poor wee soul :-(

This breaks my heart.. Can I send him something? I wish I could do something to give this poor boy hope, and so he can feel that there are some people in the world that cares. Do you know their scedule for their walk, like when and were they are passing throug a town?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There may be privacy issues here - could we send YOU something that you pass on to him? Or at least can you contact them and get permission to share itinerary or email address. My kids would certainly send him something - including commiserations! Maybe they could become pen pals!

Thank you so much to all of those who have offered to send him something. What a kind thought.

I just looked at the Association's website to see how they had identified him in the "testimonials" section, but the website has been completly redone and this boy's testimonial is no longer there. Also, since he will be finishing in about a week, I am thinking that the best way to send him anything may be through the Association, and they can then forward the letters to him.

This is the association's address:
Association SEUIL
31 rue Planchat
75020 Paris

And in a note to the Association perhaps you could ask them to forward him your letter to "M. F. - qui a marché avec Philippe de Sevilla à Irun d"avril à Juin 2017". MF are his initials, Philippe is the adult who accompanied him. And I can ask Philippe to let the Association that something may be coming in the mail for MF for them to pass on to him.

The Association has a "Contact" form on line, where ine can write them a message. An email message to MF via this online form may also work:
http://assoseuil.org/contact.html

I think that notes of congratulations and encouragement from strangers would once again show him what good exhists in the world, outside of his milieu, and reinforce for us what the Camino is, and for him what this walk was meant to achieve.

My heart is feeling much better after reading from so many of you wanting to reach out to this child. Thank you. Off to the post office now!

Btw, I am told he collected his Compostela, Fisterana and Muxiana! And he will have walked every step of this 2000+km, carrying his backpack, except for the coup,e of days I bussed with him to get his foot checked at the hospital in Merida! He has had to buy a second lair of runners! :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for this contact info, Anemone. I'm off to the seaside today but will send an e-mail first thing on Monday. I wonder if there is someone in the Association that could translate from English for him. Or I'll just use Google translate.

In 2014 I met similar couple (14 y/o with Swiss lady Marina, who's running the albergue somewhere before Oviedo on the Norte now) that were doing the same route. But our talks never touched this topic. Maybe because that boy was getting some messages hopefully.

I read your post early this morning before I set off on a sweltering and humbling 20k walk along the Camino. As always, we met friendly and kind people along the way. I thought a lot about your post and how the boy must feel; how all people feel when they are lonely, disconnected, and disappointed regardless of age or circumstance. As we arrived today we passed a shop with postcards and I stopped inside and picked one up for the 12 year old and will pick up a stamp in a few minutes. You have done a nice thing for this boy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
mmmmm....

".....I just looked at the Association's website to see how they had identified him in the "testimonials" section, but the website has been completly redone and this boy's testimonial is no longer there. Also, since he will be finishing in about a week, I am thinking that the best way to send him anything may be through the Association, and they can then forward the letters to him. ...."

Is your information source for this "walk" is only the 12 yo boy and/or his partner he is walking with?

Please, not doubting you; but, something does now smell good here.

Possibly I missed something in my reading of this post and comments?

I finished (end of May) walking the Portuguese route. While walking ran across a similar story of a person who "had" to walk the Camino. But, had no money, family or support for the walk.

Was asking for help. Of course only would take money. duhhh wonder why.
I suspected this guy was a phony.

mmmmm....

".....I just looked at the Association's website to see how they had identified him in the "testimonials" section, but the website has been completly redone and this boy's testimonial is no longer there. Also, since he will be finishing in about a week, I am thinking that the best way to send him anything may be through the Association, and they can then forward the letters to him. ...."

Is your information source for this "walk" is only the 12 yo boy and/or his partner he is walking with?

I finished (end of May) walking the Portuguese route. While walking ran across a similar story of a person who "had" to walk the Camino. But, had no money, family or support for the walk.

Hi Martyseville, I actually met some of this SEUIL people, also walking with a teen-ager. They're a wonderful organisation, nothing 'phony' about them :)
http://assoseuil.org/association/notre-mission/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think this: of course there is the possibility that the story is just a "story". In this case, the worst thing that can happen is that with a few friendly words I will look foolish and my ego a little offended:D(or not). Otherwise - if the story is true and I not react .... and no one answers ....the possibility that for some little moment make someone else happy - will be lost

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Martyseville, I actually met some of this SEUIL people, also walking with a teen-ager. They're a wonderful organisation, nothing 'phony' about them :)
http://assoseuil.org/association/notre-mission/

I also walked parallel with a SEUIL French woman and her 16 year old charge last year. It was the last week into Santiago on the Norte. They then continued "backwards" down the Via de la Plata. We had a lovely evening in Santiago together, about 8 of us, our (yes, I am going to say it) "camino family". We were very proud of the 16 year old and her compostela that she had earned.
Jill

I think this: of course there is the possibility that the story is just a "story". In this case, the worst thing that can happen is that with a few friendly words I will look foolish and my ego a little offended:D(or not). Otherwise - if the story is true and I not react .... and no one answers ....the possibility that for some little moment make someone else happy - will be lost

"Not Story"
I just returned 10 days ago from walking the Via de la Plata, Seville to Santiago (with two weeks post, visiting family in France). Just before Zamora we ran into Philippe and the boy. Never did get the boys name, but we walked with them for two days. Then they needed to stay an extra day in Zamora and we moved ahead. Before leaving them I gave each a "Ultreia"patch for their backpacks. I am convinced that this is a very legitimate situation. The boy seemed somewhat moody, but also excited to be on a big adventure. (He also does speak a little bit of English.) I spoke privately with Philippe, who seemed genuine and sincere. This one was not the first ado he had taken (through the association) out of a somewhat toxic environment to show what the larger world can offer. At no time did they ever ask for money or assistance. My companions and I were overjoyed to meet them in the street outside of the pilgrim's office two days after we had arrived. The boy seemed quite pleased to have received his Compostela and receive our congratulations.

What are you going on about? This post is out of the twilight zone!

I walked with these two for about two weeks.

The Seuil association pays for their expenses (daily 16€ per person, plus 3€ pocket money for the boy, cultural visits, and all the boy's gear). The adult gets paid to walk with the child. The only help they ever needed was for translation with hospitals when the boy had a bad foot.

These walks are done with the French court's conscent (I have seen the documents).

Where can anyone see a scam in this?

Plus my post here was just saying how sad I was for this boy when I leanred that noone from his life back home had taken the opportunity to write to him, encourage him, tell him they missed him. He always talked about the poste restante and kept wondering what friends would send him. And nothing.

How there is a scam behind me is beyond me. What is it that does not smell good to you?

And again, to all of you who have shown an interest in sending MF words of encourgament, congratulations, THANK YOU! He will have a long and difficult road ahead of him when he gets back home; but your kindness can only give him the strength he will need.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I met a poor German teenager who didn't seem to want to be there at all and never smiled. He wasn't a young offender, he just had an overbearing dad.

I met a poor German teenager who didn't seem to want to be there at all and never smiled. He wasn't a young offender, he just had an overbearing dad.
I met a similar father and son duo, son being dragged around by Camino loving father. The son was well in his 20s! :eek:

What are you going on about? This post is out of the twilight zone!

I walked with these two for about two weeks.

The Seuil association pays for their expenses (daily 16€ per person, plus 3€ pocket money for the boy, cultural visits, and all the boy's gear). The adult gets paid to walk with the child. The only help they ever needed was for translation with hospitals when the boy had a bad foot.

These walks are done with the French court's conscent (I have seen the documents).

Where can anyone see a scam in this?

Plus my post here was just saying how sad I was for this boy when I leanred that noone from his life back home had taken the opportunity to write to him, encourage him, tell him they missed him. He always talked about the poste restante and kept wondering what friends would send him. And nothing.

How there is a scam behind me is beyond me. What is it that does not smell good to you?

And again, to all of you who have shown an interest in sending MF words of encourgament, congratulations, THANK YOU! He will have a long and difficult road ahead of him when he gets back home; but your kindness can only give him the strength he will need.

Replied with a thanks and good to know. Even told that was interesting and very good to learn.
After walking three Caminos and running into a few fakes, I felt justified in asking if this was for real.
With the replies given, I came back with a "good...good to know..and thanks"

Wow..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Replied with a thanks and good to know. Even told that was interesting and very good to learn.
After walking three Caminos and running into a few fakes, I felt justified in asking if this was for real.
With the replies given, I came back with a "good...good to know..and thanks"

Wow..
I still don't understand what in my post "didn't smell right" to you? Regardless of who you may have bumped into. Never did I ask anyone to do anything for this boy, nor did I say he and his accompagnateur ever asked for anything.

Wow indeed.

Can I add my two cents here. To the mods, I will try not to post any political statements. But moderate if you feel the need.

As a social worker in mental health issues with adults I do come in contact with some of the children that were placed in youthcare so I think I have an idea about what goes on.

First of all I do think that most councellors in the French care system work very well and hard. But society/ political system does not appreciate fully , in terms of subsidies and general interest, what they try to do . And that is basically raising someone else's children. That someone else is not capable enough , does not want to ( yes there are parents like that ! ), are drugaddicts etc. An example : Let me tell you it is not a nice sight when a premature baby is lying there helpless and shivering because mum was using heroine during pregnancy. And that child will suffer the causes mentally and physically for the rest of it's life.

Anwyay , I think it is devastating that the child in the OP did not get any messages from it's peers or councellors.
Again most probably the carers will be doing double shifts, helping out another workmate who most probably is home with sickleave or a burnout . Social workers will do their best but I know that sometimes that the daily work is just about surviving : offering a bed, bath and bread like we say. And sometimes yes sometimes there is time and energy to do just something " for fun " with the children.

Again , I think we should measure a society by how it handles it most vulnerable citizens : young children, people in mental health and people in poverty.
And not only poverty in terms of money but also in terms of chances.

But there are stories of strength : I know some people who walked in that program. They are an example for us and for society. The program gave them a chance to start afresh ( with lots of bruises yes but they did it ). And no they were not young criminals but vulnerable young boys and girls who just got a bad ticket at start and birth.
Also a young person does not become a criminal but parents and environment do so.

Going on a Camino and a pilgrimage is for me in essence about the Parable of the Samaritan.
No if's and but's there but helping and being there. Just being there and show compassion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Good_Samaritan

Sorry for my ramblings but these issues are close to my heart.

Last edited:
Can I add my two cents here. To the mods, I will try not to post any political statements. But moderate if you feel the need.

As a social worker in mental health issues with adults I do come in contact with some of the children that were placed in youthcare so I think I have an idea about what goes on.

First of all I do think that most councellors in the French care system work very well and hard. But society/ political system does not appreciate fully , in terms of subsidies and general interest, what they try to do . And that is basically raising someone else's children. That someone else is not capable enough , does not want to ( yes there are parents like that ! ), are drugaddicts etc. An example : Let me tell you it is not a nice sight when a premature baby is lying there helpless and shivering because mum was using heroine during pregnancy. And that child will suffer the causes mentally and physically for the rest of it's life.

Anwyay , I think it is devastating that the child in the OP did not get any messages from it's peers or councellors.
Again most probably the carers will be doing double shifts, helping out another workmate who most probably is home with sickleave or a burnout . Social workers will do their best but I know that sometimes that the daily work is just about surviving : offering a bed, bath and bread like we say. And sometimes yes sometimes there is time and energy to do just something " for fun " with the children.

Again , I think we should measure a society by how it handles it most vulnerable citizens : young children, people in mental health and people in poverty.
And not only poverty in terms of money but also in terms of chances.

But there are stories of strength : I know some people who walked in that program. They are an example for us and for society. The program gave them a chance to start afresh ( with lots of bruises yes but they did it ). And no they were not young criminals but vulnerable young boys and girls who just got a bad ticket at start and birth.
Also a young person does not become a criminal but parents and environment do so.

Going on a Camino and a pilgrimage is for me in essence about the Parable of the Samaritan.
No if's and but's there but helping and being there. Just being there and show compassion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_Good_Samaritan

Sorry for my ramblings but these issues are close to my heart.

Excellent post! Thank you. Gives more insight into this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Association has a "Contact" form on line, where one can write them a message. An email message to MF via this online form may also work: http://assoseuil.org/contact.html
Thank you, Anemone.
I have used that link, together with a Google English to French translation, to send "M.F." blessings and best wishes for his future life.
If we only knew his address, I think he would be inundated with post-cards from Forum members!

Thank you, Anemone.
I have used that link, together with a Google English to French translation, to send "M.F." blessings and best wishes for his future life.
If we only knew his address, I think he would be inundated with post-cards from Forum members!
Thank you Stephen!

I also do not have his address and will be sending him something through the association. If one day he chooses to send me his contact information, and allows me to share it with those who may wantto co tact him, I will be happy to pass on that information in private.

Went to pick him up "back to school" meterial, as a show of the faith I have he will be able to go back, and stay!, in school!

We met a 16 yr old french girl who was in 'care' and had a social worker accompanying her - luckily the one who hated the experience had just changed to another - hopefully more 'happy' pilgrim guide/guard...:rolleyes: i just hope the kid got a feeling of freedom and self reliance thru the experience...can make or break i guess...
perhaps there should be a fund to send kids in care on camino - it certainly never happened to me...o_O:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We met a 16 yr old french girl who was in 'care' and had a social worker accompanying her - luckily the one who hated the experience had just changed to another - hopefully more 'happy' pilgrim guide/guard...:rolleyes: i just hope the kid got a feeling of freedom and self reliance thru the experience...can make or break i guess...
perhaps there should be a fund to send kids in care on camino - it certainly never happened to me...o_O:)

There are funds now and different organisations, but again due to changing politics and dynamics less than there used to be.
And again , not only as punishment but also for prevention reasons.
And most of the funds do not use the services of professionals because they will most likely stay in " professional modus " but will use the help of volunteers. I know of volunteers who are in daily life cashier in a DIY store, a firebrigade officer and a landscape architect...

Just got my weekly Forum ‘summary’ and saw this thread. I saw, walked, and stayed with Philippe and his young charge off and on over several days. We all started in Seville, but the first time I saw them was Ourense. While on the road I gave the boy my next to last (out of 200) Camino VdlP guitar pick. We were in Outeiro together before walking into Santiago the next day. While at that albergue, I was able to speak with Philippe about what the situation was. First, he is 14 years old (or at least days away from it). Second, this is a legitimate organization and nothing evil was happening. They do this program of walking 3 months for youth that are in trouble with school or the law. Normally they are slightly older. No school wanted him. However, one school said they would take him in the Fall if he completed this program of three months of walking. The program apparently started in Belgium, then later in France and other countries. To me he seemed like a good, normal kid (although there had been some earlier rough times). He carried his own pack, but he was not wearing a ball and chain. He was not under arrest. I tried to give the boy encouragement, as well as slipping just him a chocolate donut or two (which he appreciated). Everyone from Outeiro made it to Santiago on Sunday, May 21, 2017. I have a photo of most of us next to the Cathedral; Philippe, the boy, myself, and others. I’m sure he would appreciate after-the-fact congratulations through the association. I wish him the best.

Just got my weekly Forum ‘summary’ and saw this thread. I saw, walked, and stayed with Philippe and his young charge off and on over several days. We all started in Seville, but the first time I saw them was Ourense. While on the road I gave the boy my next to last (out of 200) Camino VdlP guitar pick. We were in Outeiro together before walking into Santiago the next day. While at that albergue, I was able to speak with Philippe about what the situation was. First, he is 14 years old (or at least days away from it). Second, this is a legitimate organization and nothing evil was happening. They do this program of walking 3 months for youth that are in trouble with school or the law. Normally they are slightly older. No school wanted him. However, one school said they would take him in the Fall if he completed this program of three months of walking. The program apparently started in Belgium, then later in France and other countries. To me he seemed like a good, normal kid (although there had been some earlier rough times). He carried his own pack, but he was not wearing a ball and chain. He was not under arrest. I tried to give the boy encouragement, as well as slipping just him a chocolate donut or two (which he appreciated). Everyone from Outeiro made it to Santiago on Sunday, May 21, 2017. I have a photo of most of us next to the Cathedral; Philippe, the boy, myself, and others. I’m sure he would appreciate after-the-fact congratulations through the association. I wish him the best.

Indeed Steve...It started in Belgium when it was called Oikoten. Now named Alba.

No site in English but google translate can help out.

http://alba.be/ondersteunende-begeleiding/onthemingen-oikoten/

A pilgrimage is one of the options for the children, also farm work and other activities.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
When I left the albergue in Sevilla in March I met a 12 year old boy and the French man who was accompanying him on a walk feom Sevilla to Santiago, to Fisterra and then Irun. They will be in Bilbao tomorrow, both running out of steam.

This is soo cruel. How can people do this to a 12 year old!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not cruel, my parents "dragged" us (4 daughters) up hills, down dales and over mountains. We often moaned about why we couldn't go to the beach or ski like normal families. But it taught us all how to be strong capable women. A sucker for punishment my dad also used to take groups of troubled teens on tramps, on the times I helped him with this I found most of the sulky stubborn ones came around after a week.
When my daughter finished her first Camino and was asked for her reason for walking, she replied "because my mother made me", I am not sure the person filling out her completion cert got the double meaning.

Imagine the horror, I am thinking of taking my godson for a walk next year. He's 9. I might show some flexibility and take him on the Frances (I know, the horror :eek:) so that he can interact with more people than just his slave driver (me) on another route.

If the Kiwi Family kids can do, so can he. Now, to convince his parents to let him out of school for two weeks so we don't have to walk in the summer heat. :cool:

Imagine the horror, I am thinking of taking my godson for a walk next year. He's 9. I might show some flexibility and take him on the Frances (I know, the horror :eek:) so that he can interact with more people than just his slave driver (me) on another route.

If the Kiwi Family kids can do, so can he. Now, to convince his parents to let him out of school for two weeks so we don't have to walk in the summer heat. :cool:

Have a great time and good luck. Often missing school is the easy part, but it can sometimes be hard to get them to unplug. I've had 4 and 6 year olds visit the farm and be horrified that we don't have mobile coverage... They have to make do with climbing trees and playing with piglets!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have a great time and good luck. Often missing school is the easy part, but it can sometimes be hard to get them to unplug. I've had 4 and 6 year olds visit the farm and be horrified that we don't have mobile coverage... They have to make do with climbing trees and playing with piglets!
Oh, he will unplug! ;) I took him on a day trip this week for his bday to Qc City to see the Tintin exhibit, visit the Citadelle and the old town. We left the house at 5 am to catch the 6:20 train, and he was delightful.

Of course one day is not 2 weeks, nor did he walk as much as he would on the C., but as long as we are around others and hoping from cafe con leche to cafe con leche (milk for him) I am sure he can do well.

Plus, it beats being in school! And push comes to shove, we can do some work on the trail. It's not as if he is breaking his back in school anyway. :eek:

Unplug? When I walked with my 14 years old son, the main criteria for choosing an albergue was: "Did they have free Wi-Fi?"...
But I think the experience was not so bad, because he is looking to come back this year!
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
This one is too young to care about social media and internet. He just wants his electronic games. And he doesn't get to decide. ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
So much natural education on a Camino anyway (far more than skool imho)
Map reading/ natural history/Spanish history and language/culture/ geography/geology/meteorology. A LOT of other languages... self reliance/problem-solving/nutrition and health
People skills - dealing with snoring/swearing, learning how to talk about blisters and foot problems for hours....
At least the kids get to opt out of oenology...o_O:rolleyes:;)

So much natural education on a Camino anyway (far more than skool imho)
Map reading/ natural history/Spanish history and language/culture/ geography/geology/meteorology. A LOT of other languages... self reliance/problem-solving/nutrition and health
People skills - dealing with snoring/swearing, learning how to talk about blisters and foot problems for hours....
At least the kids get to opt out of oenology...o_O:rolleyes:;)
Absolutely! He can prepare a whole presentation on these topics for his classmates when he comes back!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back