• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

12 Years on the Santiago Forum

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Wow! This Forum has out lasted many similar forums in the past 12 years since I joined in November 2004. [I think I was the 6th member to join]

'Santiagobis' (once the most popular an busiest forums on the Internet) started in 2000 is now all but dormant. One of the owners of Santiagobis, was an early member of Ivar's Forum, posting under the name 'DeCarrion'.

Santiago-compostela.net forum was started by Piers Nicholson in 2002. His old website included a link to 'Sylvia's Top-Tips' which 10 years later had so many pages of tips that it evolved into a 300 page planning guide!

Other forums were 'Ultreya' (a closed forum) 'St James at Yahoo' (still limping along) 'Go-Camino' (based in APOC) and of course Grant Spangler's excellent 'El Camino Santiago' web based forum.

When I joined Facebook in 2007 there were few Camino related groups but now there are groups in every language, from every continent and for every interest group.

Facebook might have replaced many of the Camino Forums with instant questions and answers but it still can't offer the 'all in one place' information that this forum provides and that, in my opinion, has been its success.

Ivar, may this forum continue to help pilgrims for many years to come.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Silly Doll - Thank you for posting this information.

Ivar - Thank your for this Forum. My Camino experiences might not have been this positive without this valuable resource. I feel like I have made a number of friendships on this Forum as well.

When I am walking on the Camino, other pilgrims notice my Forum Patch on my back pack and immediately start up a conversation. This forum helps me from never feeling alone.

Buen Camino

Congratulations on your longevity on the Forum. That says a lot about both you and this Forum. And thank you for that little bit of camino-forum history. I guess I have never looked much further than this forum, but I did not realize that there had been, or still are, others.

Without naming names, are any of the other original 6 members still active?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Successful longevity takes a lot of hard work, innovation, imagination and investment. Well done Ivar and all those who helped.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll second the thanks to Ivar and the forum moderators who work so diligently to make this forum the outstanding resource that it is. Gracias a todos.
Jim

Congratulations Syl! Long time no see but we'll meet somewhere sometime?!:)

I'm always the 'odd ball' because I've never used Facebook and don't plan to, but I've always felt at home on this forum.
Ditto. With the added benefit that the discussions here can be broad, deep, and wide-ranging...about logistics, equipment, and albergues, but by no means limited to those mundane topics.
And unlike those using a certain other social media platform, we are not limited here to 120 characters. ;)

Seriously, this is a special place.
I just went back and re-read the responses to a thread I started when I had only posted a few times, curious to see if I still felt the same way. The sentiments I shared and the many beautiful responses still ring true.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...s-remarkably-kind-community.31572/#navigation

The community here is really a community--which may be why it is more long-lived than other forums.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Ivar and everyone who shared their experiences and advice on this Forum. It was invaluable as we planned and completed our Camino this past September from Sarria to Santiago. Buen Camino and here is to many more years of success and sharing.

Wow! This Forum has out lasted many similar forums in the past 12 years since I joined in November 2004. [I think I was the 6th member to join]

'Santiagobis' (once the most popular an busiest forums on the Internet) started in 2000 is now all but dormant. One of the owners of Santiagobis, was an early member of Ivar's Forum, posting under the name 'DeCarrion'.

Santiago-compostela.net forum was started by Piers Nicholson in 2002. His old website included a link to 'Sylvia's Top-Tips' which 10 years later had so many pages of tips that it evolved into a 300 page planning guide!

Other forums were 'Ultreya' (a closed forum) 'St James at Yahoo' (still limping along) 'Go-Camino' (based in APOC) and of course Grant Spangler's excellent 'El Camino Santiago' web based forum.

When I joined Facebook in 2007 there were few Camino related groups but now there are groups in every language, from every continent and for every interest group.

Facebook might have replaced many of the Camino Forums with instant questions and answers but it still can't offer the 'all in one place' information that this forum provides and that, in my opinion, has been its success.

Ivar, may this forum continue to help pilgrims for many years to come.
Ivar, well done.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I love this place. I feel at home.

I also avoid facebook and other current social media. Forums like this site allow for broader, yet more focused discussions, as well as staying as anonymous as you want to.

I appreciate the Forum. It is a brief vacation from a busy life. The spirit is moving. The questions are my questions. The training gets easier. September gets closer. And again, the Pyrenees beckon. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the end of the American West decked out in sagebrush.

I appreciate the Forum. It is a brief vacation from a busy life. The spirit is moving. The questions are my questions. The training gets easier. September gets closer. And again, the Pyrenees beckon. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from the end of the American West decked out in sagebrush.
Wonferful post! back at you:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm always the 'odd ball' because I've never used Facebook and don't plan to, but I've always felt at home on this forum.
As a 78 year old that completed the Camino Frances last year - no facebook, twitter or instagram but I really enjoy reading this forum.
We are getting ready to go from Le Puy to St Jean in 2018.
Neil

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back