Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

12th-century Islamic bathhouse uncovered in Seville tapas bar

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Story in the Guardian.

A magnificently decorated 12th-century Islamic bathhouse, replete with dazzling geometric motifs and skylights in the form of eight-pointed stars, has emerged, a little improbably, from the walls and vaulted ceilings of a popular tapas bar in the heart of the southern Spanish city of Seville.

“Absolutely everything here is decorated, and, luckily, it’s survived. The background is white lime mortar engraved with geometric lines, circles and squares. On top of that you have red ochre paintings of eight-pointed stars and eight-petalled multifoil rosettes. Those two designs alternate and entwine and adapt to the different geometric shapes of the skylight holes.”

Camino Cups
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Imagine when refurbished to its former function, to have a proper wash and massage, and then joining the chairs in the new café outside, dressed in slippers and bathrobe for coffee, water and the odd water pipe....

..you are allowed to dream...

Camino Cups
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Arn

Veteran Member
I watched it on Spanish TV yesterday. The remains are in a very good condition.
The people of Al Andalus were much cleaner than the Christians. No doubt.
Time and place has much to do with observance of hygiene. I've lived along side many cultures: each had access to a "comfort station", bathing area of sorts and, the occasional opportunity to be "rubber the right way." In Field of Dreams, the line "If you build it they will come!" is said and Kevin Costner hears it.
My experience is ....many more people than reported need to take advantage of the facilities available.

Raggy

Veteran Member
2017, 2018, 2019
Do I understand correctly, that the decoration was exposed at the time of the building's conversion in the 1920s but the building's pedigree was subsequently "forgotten" - assumed to be a neo-mudejar (islamic revival), with rumors of the hammam dismissed as fantastical?

It reminds me of the day I walked around the Roman circus in Merida, which was hidden under a field and was almost lost to a 20th century road project, but Merida just started to care about its ancient monuments in time to save it.

The idea that historic buildings are worthy of preservation is actually quite a recent way of thinking - and in some places it still isn't considered a priority.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.

Kanga

Staff member
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
How wonderful. Just one more reason to visit Seville. Who could resist a drink in that tapas bar?

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 60 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 207 14.9%
  • May