• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

13-15th June, 2019, Pop Music Festival in Santiago ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Die Antwoord and Monte De Gozo are not two things things I ever expected to see coinciding. I wonder what the bronze pilgrims will make of them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for the warning; I’ll make sure I arrive after the event.

Die Antwoord and Monte De Gozo are not two things things I ever expected to see coinciding. I wonder what the bronze pilgrims will make of them.
Probably the same as they made of the Stones (1999), Skunk Anansie (2000), Iggy and the Stooges (2004), Bruce Springsteen (1993 and 2009), and numerous other rock, pop or hip hop bands throughout the years. They've been rocking on the Monte do Gozo since at least 1993, the year when the bronze pilgrims made their debut on the Monte do Gozo. So they've never known it any other way :).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Probably the same as they made of the Stones (1999), Skunk Anansie (2000), Iggy and the Stooges (2004), Bruce Springsteen (1993 and 2009), and numerous other rock, pop or hip hop bands throughout the years. They've been rocking on the Monte do Gozo since at least 1993, the year when the bronze pilgrims made their debut on the Monte do Gozo. So they've never known it any other way :).

I dare say they'll cope. To be clear I like Die Antwoord, they appear on my Spotify playlist, it just amused me that two things I like but in many ways are so incongruous are coming together.

Glad I will be gone before this event. While it does add needed money to the local economy, it DOES sort of spoil the pilgrim ambiance...

IGGGGGGYYYYYYY!!!!! Worth walking across Spain for!!!! I would wear my Max's Kansas City T-Shirt if I only had one. Lust For Life!!! Thats my Iggy and the Camino. If you are going to be in SDC during this festival don't miss this Icon!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Glad I will be gone before this event. While it does add needed money to the local economy, it DOES sort of spoil the pilgrim ambiance...

Why if I may ask?

Would be wonderful to attend.
Black Eyed Peas/Ashcroft and Iggy Pop. And some fellow Belgians!
Would give me all the energy to stay the night at Monte de Gozo,then short day into Santiago. Sounds great.
I can easily be a pilgrim and have some concert fun.

If one desired to attend a mass crowd event like a concert or music festival, this would be one to go to. The performers are certainly worth the attendance, if that is your thing. In fact, I have some of the music on CD or downloads...

My 2019 Camino should end in mid-May and my flight home is a week later. So, my plans call for me not to be there.

Personally, I avoid most all mass attendance events, like concerts, athletic events and fairs. The crowds make me nervous... It relates to past career experiences, retained trauma & anxiety.

That said, Santiago has a finite bed capacity. During the pilgrimage season the city is often over subscribed on weekends and holy days / festivals. This program, while goods, will tax that capacity. In June, we are seeing the peak season building. I hope pilgrims arriving during that time can find rooms.

For those you do choose to attend, hope you have a great time. I will enjoy reading about it from a safe distance...

I am sure it doesn't spoil the ambiance for the people who love these bands that live in SDC and the surrounding areas or areas that major bands do not come to. People live and work there and an advantage of a bigger city is the culture that it brings. Maybe if you are there you should go and check it out. It might be fun. I bet this ruins the pilgrim ambiance a lot less then the hordes of tourist buses and trains and tourists, many of whom have little more than a passing knowledge of what the real historical and spiritual significance SDC holds. I was waiting on line once to get into the cathedral when a woman next to me asked her tour guide why there were so many homeless and dirty people walking around with backpacks!!! Rock on Pilgrim!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Iggy Pop? Saw him live decades ago. They must put him on a formaldehyde drip these days to get him on the stage. :D
Still, good to know the dates of that Saint James style lollapalooza. Will definitely plan any walk into Santiago away from those days.

Iggy Pop? Saw him live decades ago. They must put him on a formaldehyde drip these days to get him on the stage. :D
Still, good to know the dates of that Saint James style lollapalooza. Will definitely plan any walk into Santiago away from those days.
I remember seeing Jerry Lee Lewis perform in a bar in Spain. They sometimes like to bring in the older performers.

I remember seeing Jerry Lee Lewis perform in a bar in Spain. They sometimes like to bring in the older performers.
What do you mean by "they" :)? Iggy Pop will perform in April 2019 in the Sydney Opera House, Sydney, NSW, Australia and in the Festival Hall, Melbourne, VIC, Australia, and after Santiago he will perform in Sweden, Switzerland and Germany. Maybe you are not following the global rock festival calendar? You may be surprised how many of the "older" performers are still rocking on stage today. 🙃

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
He's 71. I start to wonder now why it is so noble and laudable to walk 800 km with a backpack and sleep in bunkbeds in dormitories when you are 70 or 80 but a reason for ridicule when you strut around a stage for a bit? 🤔🙃

Last edited:
What do you mean by "they" :)? Iggy Pop will perform in April 2019 in the Sydney Opera House, Sydney, NSW, Australia and in the Festival Hall, Melbourne, VIC, Australia, and after Santiago he will perform in Sweden, Switzerland and Germany. Maybe you are not following the global rock festival calendar? You may be surprised how many of the "older" performers are still rocking on stage today. 🙃
Totally. The Rolling Stones are set to perform not too far from here, and they are no spring chickens. But Jerry Lee Lewis is a whole nother generation of performer.

No disrespect was meant to "older" performers. Pete Seeger wasn't young when I last saw him perform, and he did a great job. Age doesn't diminish talent in rock, just as it doesn't in other artistic endeavors. But I still don't see many concerts with the first generation of rock and roll, and consider myself privileged for the opportunity to see Jerry Lee Lewis. He wasn't playing in Toronto bars when I was old enough to visit them.

He's 71. I start to wonder now why it is so noble and laudable to walk 800 km with a backpack and sleep in bunkbeds in dormitories when you are 70 or 80 but a reason for ridicule when you strut around a stage for a bit? 🤔🙃
I am not even close to 70 yet. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
With the things that Iggy has ingested it is amazing! I saw him for the first time in about 1973. Yes I am old but those days in New York,ahhhh were fantastic! I saw a recent clip of him that a friend sent me and the man can still bring it!

With the things that Iggy has ingested it is amazing! I saw him for the first time in about 1973. Yes I am old but those days in New York,ahhhh were fantastic! I saw a recent clip of him that a friend sent me and the man can still bring it!
I saw Iggy in the 70s too. I don't remember which year, but the opening act was a new band called Blondie. 😄

If one desired to attend a mass crowd event like a concert or music festival, this would be one to go to. The performers are certainly worth the attendance, if that is your thing. In fact, I have some of the music on CD or downloads...

My 2019 Camino should end in mid-May and my flight home is a week later. So, my plans call for me not to be there.

Personally, I avoid most all mass attendance events, like concerts, athletic events and fairs. The crowds make me nervous... It relates to past career experiences, retained trauma & anxiety.

That said, Santiago has a finite bed capacity. During the pilgrimage season the city is often over subscribed on weekends and holy days / festivals. This program, while goods, will tax that capacity. In June, we are seeing the peak season building. I hope pilgrims arriving during that time can find rooms.

For those you do choose to attend, hope you have a great time. I will enjoy reading about it from a safe distance...
Hello again and I understand why you do not like large gatherings and the concern about beds. I was in the business end of the music world at one time and I have experience regarding festivals. Planning and promoting a concert like this takes more than a year of intense planning. There are negotiations with each artist, just getting the availabilities of artists and coordinating this is horrific. Each artist has their own schedule regarding touring, recording, resting, their riders that cover what is required for them to perform, salary negotiations, flights, hotel rooms, which night they will preform, how the concert is advertised and where the name of the artist will go on, making sure you have the proper mix each day and if there are multiple stages or venues making sure that you do not have two similar artists appearing at the same time or near the same time, if there are multiple venues making sure that the attendees have transportation from one venue to the other, security, catering, stage hands, sound and lights, and about 50 other things that I have not mentioned. You can't put these on in bad weather if you are going to have outdoor venues and even if you are not, usually. I am sure if you asked the fans of these artists and even some pilgrims they are very happy to have this event. A city needs income coming in and jobs that it creates. A major festival that is well run and executed only can help a city. The idea that it may generate more people to discover SDC and maybe set up shop helps the city and expands it's economic base. Yes, the Camino is probably the most important economic driver for Santiago but what happens to the city if the Camino popularity wanes one day? More diversity means more security for the citizens of SDC. Just my humble opinion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw Iggy in the 70s too. I don't remember which year, but the opening act was a new band called Blondie. 😄
Saw Blondie many times in those days at Max's and CBGB's. When Keith Moon died and I was devastated by his death. (The Who was my heart) the first person who I thought of to replace him was Clem Burke. Pete Townsend didn't ask me and thought differently and picked Kenney Jones. Perfect for The Faces but not so much for The Who. But that is just my opinion.

Totally. The Rolling Stones are set to perform not too far from here, and they are no spring chickens. But Jerry Lee Lewis is a whole nother generation of performer.

No disrespect was meant to "older" performers. Pete Seeger wasn't young when I last saw him perform, and he did a great job. Age doesn't diminish talent in rock, just as it doesn't in other artistic endeavors. But I still don't see many concerts with the first generation of rock and roll, and consider myself privileged for the opportunity to see Jerry Lee Lewis. He wasn't playing in Toronto bars when I was old enough to visit them.

I saw Burt Bacharach at Glastonbury a few years ago. He was 86. He did look a bit frail and that's no surprise, but what really impresses me is the sheer passion these people have for their music and the desire to perform.

I've also seen the Stones, the Who and Ray Davies in recent years. I just love them all.

As it happens, my son and I will be arriving in Santiago on 13 June. When I finished the Camino in Santiago in 2016 we agreed that he and I would go back sometime to walk to the sea. That's what we're planning to do. I'm hoping that one of the albergues will let us stay because this time our passports are blank. Going to that festival is not an option on this occasion. Not the time to confuse our objectives! the

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello again and I understand why you do not like large gatherings and the concern about beds. I was in the business end of the music world at one time and I have experience regarding festivals. Planning and promoting a concert like this takes more than a year of intense planning. There are negotiations with each artist, just getting the availabilities of artists and coordinating this is horrific. Each artist has their own schedule regarding touring, recording, resting, their riders that cover what is required for them to perform, salary negotiations, flights, hotel rooms, which night they will preform, how the concert is advertised and where the name of the artist will go on, making sure you have the proper mix each day and if there are multiple stages or venues making sure that you do not have two similar artists appearing at the same time or near the same time, if there are multiple venues making sure that the attendees have transportation from one venue to the other, security, catering, stage hands, sound and lights, and about 50 other things that I have not mentioned. You can't put these on in bad weather if you are going to have outdoor venues and even if you are not, usually. I am sure if you asked the fans of these artists and even some pilgrims they are very happy to have this event. A city needs income coming in and jobs that it creates. A major festival that is well run and executed only can help a city. The idea that it may generate more people to discover SDC and maybe set up shop helps the city and expands it's economic base. Yes, the Camino is probably the most important economic driver for Santiago but what happens to the city if the Camino popularity wanes one day? More diversity means more security for the citizens of SDC. Just my humble opinion.

SdC is not just a pilgrim city. It is also a very bit university city and tourist city. And also one of the big cities in Galicia in general. So having a big festival is a pretty cool thing. There is a lot of young people walking the camino and I'm pretty sure they appreciate a festival like this. It is pretty big names on that poster and I'm sure it is going to be a great event.

I did not post with the intention to warn people or scare them away, but actually to inform people about the event as some people might actually choose to walk into santiago on that day for that event.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I just noticed your post. You have every right to go to Santiago whenever you like. But I do not think that your comment was in the least bit amusing. There are many men and women who are musicians and performers who are old. It doesn't matter the genre of music that they choose to express their art. Iggy Pop was and still is an important artist. His music has stood the test of time, as so many others have also. If anything he was and still is an inspiration and and influence on younger musicians. This alone makes him invaluable to music and culture. I would suggest you go older artists. Many have reached a point in their craft where they are on a level of musicality that cannot be touched by younger musicians. Tony Bennett may not be able to sing jazz with as smooth a voice as he once did but just look back a few years when he recorded Duets 2 singing with the likes of Lady Gaga, Aretha Franklin and that other old man Willie Nelson. Or his recording with the great Amy Winehouse. Oh yea, Willie Nelson, he is a real kid with as smooth a voice and unique guitar style that we have in music. Would you want to dip them in formaldehyde too? I am not trying to be rude but I think we should have respect for people who have contributed to our culture and our joy. There is less and less of this every day.

I just noticed your post. You have every right to go to Santiago whenever you like. But I do not think that your comment was in the least bit amusing. There are many men and women who are musicians and performers who are old. It doesn't matter the genre of music that they choose to express their art. Iggy Pop was and still is an important artist. His music has stood the test of time, as so many others have also. If anything he was and still is an inspiration and and influence on younger musicians. This alone makes him invaluable to music and culture. I would suggest you go older artists. Many have reached a point in their craft where they are on a level of musicality that cannot be touched by younger musicians. Tony Bennett may not be able to sing jazz with as smooth a voice as he once did but just look back a few years when he recorded Duets 2 singing with the likes of Lady Gaga, Aretha Franklin and that other old man Willie Nelson. Or his recording with the great Amy Winehouse. Oh yea, Willie Nelson, he is a real kid with as smooth a voice and unique guitar style that we have in music. Would you want to dip them in formaldehyde too? I am not trying to be rude but I think we should have respect for people who have contributed to our culture and our joy. There is less and less of this every day.
😴🤣:cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back