• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 13 Apr 15 -- The Roman Road vs. The Spanish Road

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
13 April 2015 -- Moratinos to Calzadilla -- No Idea -- Maybe 25 km

So got off to a late start this AM -- had breakfast at 0730 and then back to my room to chill and finally back to the restaurant to check out -- who is in the joint -- the Swedish ladies and the Canadian guys -- so chatted with them for a bit and then went outside to sit and tape the feet -- figured they were eating -- taping feet inside the cafe -- probably a foul --

So sitting outside and who do I see? KIM -- my Korean buddy who speaks no english -- so I yell out to him -- run over and shake hands and do a knuckle bump -- big smiles all the way around -- what a cool guy! -- He departs probably mumbling to himself -- can't seem to get rid of the crazy white guy in the red hat -- but the is beard cool ---

So set off walking to a wonderful morning -- sun is cresting -- weather comfortable -- just nice -- walking along and what do I see -- some dude laid out in the field on the side of the trail -- I am thinking -- pilgrim, yes-- alive ??? -- if I sneak by and he is not alive will I be in trouble? So I did what any Pilgrim would do in this situation -- kept on hiking -- found out later this dude does this all the time - only wish I would have taken a photo -- he looked pretty comfortable.

So the link up spot for my new Camino Family was a Bakery/Cafe in Sahagun - great place for a snack.

The big decision -- walk the Spanish road or the Romain Road -- did the Roman road -- I honestly think that regardless of the road -- it was a really a long 8 kms -- thank goodness for the ipod -- it was hot and sunny and I have a new respect for folks who do the Camino in the Summer -- less clothes -- but a lot more water consumption.

About 2 km from the objective there was a cool little picnic area -- so we all stopped and had a quick bite to eat (now when I said we all stopped, it was more like folks just floated in over time) -- bread, goat cheese, red wine, chorizo -- you get the drift -- a civilized get together with new friends --

So finally got into town and like always, first place I see -- I am there -- however my new group all went to a different location -- so after I got cleaned up - went slumming for my buddies and found them - and - kind of liked where I was staying --

So a couple of folks have asked about any reflection or why am I actually doing this adventure -- my answer is -- it is complicated -- today I actually identified a key point in my life that would have had a different outcome based on my decision at the time -- I am not going to lay that out on the internet -- at least not in details -- but I am sooooo good with how that one decision worked out -- would not change it for the world.

To date -- this has been a very emotional journey -- (one that you will not get from my blog) - and as you all have read -- a physical journey as well -- you will continue to hear about the physical punishments --but the emotional ones -- I will tend to keep those to myself -- probably a good thing, along with sunglasses.

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Portuguese camino requires walking on parts of thr Via Roma 19. First impression....Rome had not done any man maintenance in 2000 years :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back