• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

13 Peregrinos arrived today....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wouldn't be surprised if all of them were Galician.I walked twice in 2010 and met more Galicians further up the Caminos than any other time since, I suspect Xacobeo is special for them. The pilgrim office data for March 2010 gives 999 Galicians as obtaining a Compostela, which was highest number of any of the areas of Spain that month, for the years adjoining 2009 and 2011, other communities were the highest number in March.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Every so often I go on Youtube and watch the live video feed of the square in front of the Cathedral. Just recently there has been a noticable uptick in daily activity of people congrgating in front of the church.

Hi Bob, I have tried to get the live video feed of the square on Youtube but no matter what I put in the search box I cannot get it. What do I put in the search box to get it?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And today there were 107 arriving :)

According to this article, almost all pilgrims are (not surprisingly) Galician.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And today there were 107 arriving :). According to this article, almost all pilgrims are (not surprisingly) Galician.
It is quite amazing how the numbers of Compostelas picked up during the last few days. They recorded mostly 5 to 10 Compostelas per day during the whole month of March, then the numbers of Compostelas increased on Wednesday with 33, Thursday with 58, Friday with 77 and today Saturday with 107 Compostelas. After all, it is Easter Week - Semana Santa - in Spain, and both Maundy Thursday and Good Friday (the 1st and 2nd of April this year) are public holidays in Galicia, I believe.

Also, I had read earlier that a number of people walk in daily sections, returning to their home every evening and starting again the next morning where they had stopped the day before. Also, the article you quoted mentions the Xacobus, a new bus service for the section Cebreiro to Santiago if I remember correctly. This facilitates a lot of things, including trips where you park your car in the morning and return to it in the evening.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is there is still hope..............

There is always hope.

But I did not mean to give any hope or prediction about if and when international pilgrims can walk in Spain again - I try to keep away from that kind of speculation. I am just happy to see people walking the camino again and seemingly & slowly & steadily more is getting possible for Galician and Spanish pilgrims.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
In one day? That must be a mistake...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It been getting close to a 1000 on some days in the last two weekends but it has been increasing gradually for several weeks now from a few dozen in April to low hundreds in late may to June and then from the a few hundred to several hundred in the last few weeks.

But where do these people sleep? With quite a few albergues still closed and open albergues at 50% of their capacity?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But where do these people sleep? With quite a few albergues still closed and open albergues at 50% of their capacity?
I wouldn't know. My guess is that the overwhelming majority of them are Spanish pilgrims who started in Galicia, and we will never hear from them on this forum ☺️. Yesterday (Saturday 10 July), a similar number of arrivals was recorded by the SdC pilgrims office: 1.626 Compostelas were handed out.

There's a short article in La Voz de Galicia about the more than 3.000 pilgrims who registered their arrival at the SdC pilgrims office on Friday and Saturday, and they did a few interviews with pilgrims: Many Spanish pilgrims walk in groups - groups of family members, groups of friends, a group of cyclists, and there are those who already come from their place of origin in large groups. Sabina C., from Mérida, did the Camino with 60 other people.

Source: La cifra de peregrinos que llegan a Santiago sigue creciendo: 3.166 en este fin de semana

Last edited:
But also groups need to sleep somewhere, don't they?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
But also groups need to sleep somewhere, don't they?
I am not in Galicia and I've not seen many reports from pilgrims walking there. The Galician Xunta actually limits the number of persons to 50% of capacity in communal/shared albergue spaces but to 30% in the dormitories. Exception: Pre-established 'bubble' groups. Btw, the Xunta even recommends that pilgrims keep their masks on during the night ...

I seem to remember that more than 3.000 Compostela were given out on peak days in July or August 2019, and they've increased the bed capacity for the Holy Year before Covid-19 hit, so my unqualified guess is that there are plenty of beds in Galicia, even with the current restrictions.

I am not in Galicia and I've not seen many reports from pilgrims walking there. The Galician Xunta actually limits the number of persons to 50% of capacity in communal/shared albergue spaces but to 30% in the dormitories. Exception: Pre-established 'bubble' groups. Btw, the Xunta even recommends that pilgrims keep their masks on during the night ...

I seem to remember that more than 3.000 Compostela were given out on peak days in July or August 2019, and they've increased the bed capacity for the Holy Year before Covid-19 hit, so my unqualified guess is that there are plenty of beds in Galicia, even with the current restrictions.

Does anybody know when the 50% capacity will be increased in albergues?

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back