• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1300 years Mont-St-Michel

not strictly speaking anything to do with Santiago, but forum members may be interested in participating in the 1300-year celebrations at Le Mont Saint Michel, where the church was founded in 708 and consecrated in 709. 2008 is also the tenth anniversary of the Association "Les Chemins du Mont-Saint-Michel" who've now waymarked some 2000km of pilgrim routes to the shrine. As a celebration of this, walkers will be converging on the Mont from Brittany, Le Mans, Tours, Paris, Chartres, Rouen, Winchester (and probably other places as well), for special events on Michaelmas, September 29. Each route will have its own blog.

The culmination of the walks will be firstly events organised jointly by the Association and various Amis de St Jacques at the village of Saint-James September 27, and secondly the walk, or rather wade, across the sands from Genets September 28.

Two new guidebooks are being published to coincide with this: a revamp of the GR22 from Paris to be published next year, and one for the new route through Anjou, the Chemin des Plantagenets, from Saint-Jean-d'Angély.

Further details on the Association website or from a somewhat more detailed pdf file at the Union Jacquaire de France

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Peter - it is interesting to see that the route to/from Santiago goes along the coast to St Jean de Angely and then west to Mont St Michel. Does it cross at Roncesvalles?

Attachments

• carte_europp.jpg
    carte_europp.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,040
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Attachments

• TroBreiz.gif
    TroBreiz.gif
    13 KB · Views: 1,023
Not at all, Sil

For more information about the ways of Saint-James in Brittany you can click on this link :

http://www.saint-jacques-compostelle-bretagne.fr/santjakez-accueil-en.htm

... to open an English page on the web site of the Breton Association of the friends of Saint-James of Compostela. There, you’ll find a map of the Breton routes.

The eastern ones are waymarked and used as St-James ways by walking from north to the Via Turonensis and as St-Michel ways, from south to The Mont-Saint-Michel.

Best regards.

Théo

Thank you - this is a wonderful website! I have added it to my list of St James Associations and websites.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Peter, I put the detail of the guide book stages on this web page :

http://www.saint-jacques-compostelle-bretagne.fr/santjakez-chemins-bret.htm

They're :

>>> St-James, Fougères, Vitré, La Guerche-de-Bretagne, Pouancé, Misengrain, Segré, Le Lion-d'Angers and Angers

... with 2 descriptions of the way -- "towards Saint-James" and "towards The Mont-Saint-Michel",

>>> Les Ponts-de-Cé, Saulgé-L'Hôpital, Doué-la-Fontaine, Le Puy-Notre-Dame, Thouars, St-Généroux, St-Loup-sur-Thouet, Parthenay, Champdeniers, Niort, Clairias, Villiers-en-Bois and Aulnay where the "Way of Plantagenets" meets the "Via Turonensis",

... with only the description towards Saint-James.

Théo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iF1 ... zi5BKDEfNg
"All sorts of people are using the pilgrim routes today. There are of course those who do it for reasons of faith, but we also see agnostics and atheists. The routes are a place where people can meet and talk," Juliane Hervieu of "The Routes to Mont-Saint-Michel" group told AFP.

"We are open to all walkers, whatever their beliefs," added the group's president Marie-Paul Labey .

For 75 year old Englishman John Cawley, enjoying his ninth walk from Winchester in Britain to the Mont in as many years, there is no such thing as a typical trail walker.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back