• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

13ish miles a day

rita n/

Time of past OR future Camino
na
I'm planning an April 2016 camino. I'm planning on taking a bit longer and doing about 13 miles a day. My question is, will i be able to find alburgues that close together? i know that most people walk further, and after i get started i may find out i'm able to, but i'm a bit worried about trying to walk further.

i'm training--typically i'm walking 5 or so miles a day, but have done as much as 11.5 in a day. (i'm pretty sure i can't do it day after day, yet, but i'm working up to it. so--are there alburgues that will be in the range of 13 miles apart? (i intend to reserve for orisson the first day)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Check out www.godesalco.com. (There is an English version of the planning guide part). They have a planning guide that shows the distances between most town / villages with albergues along the CF. I walked the CF this past May - June and averaged about the same distance that you plan on, using the guide for planning. Took 36 days. Plan on doing it again in Oct. 2016, using the guide to help plan the stops. A couple of other great resources are "A Wise Pilgrim" for both Apple and Android and the "Camino Guide Offline" for Androids.

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Hola amigo,

in the camino francés, you should have no problem to find accomodation in those distances, unless it is really packed, that would be 21 km. Check in gronze.com, where you can download a PDF (in Spanish, but it uses mostly icons) showing all distances and services in every town.

http://www.gronze.com/documents/pdf/005cas.pdf

buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm planning an April 2016 camino. I'm planning on taking a bit longer and doing about 13 miles a day. My question is, will i be able to find alburgues that close together? i know that most people walk further, and after i get started i may find out i'm able to, but i'm a bit worried about trying to walk further.

i'm training--typically i'm walking 5 or so miles a day, but have done as much as 11.5 in a day. (i'm pretty sure i can't do it day after day, yet, but i'm working up to it. so--are there alburgues that will be in the range of 13 miles apart? (i intend to reserve for orisson the first day)
Hi Rita, yes you don’t have problems to find a albergue. And you will love your stay at the albergue Orisson. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola amigo,

in the camino francés, you should have no problem to find accomodation in those distances, unless it is really packed, that would be 21 km. Check in gronze.com, where you can download a PDF (in Spanish, but it uses mostly icons) showing all distances and services in every town.

http://www.gronze.com/documents/pdf/005cas.pdf

buen camino!
thanks! i guess was just a bit worried since most people seem to walk further

Check out www.godesalco.com. (There is an English version of the planning guide part). They have a planning guide that shows the distances between most town / villages with albergues along the CF. I walked the CF this past May - June and averaged about the same distance that you plan on, using the guide for planning. Took 36 days. Plan on doing it again in Oct. 2016, using the guide to help plan the stops. A couple of other great resources are "A Wise Pilgrim" for both Apple and Android and the "Camino Guide Offline" for Androids.

Buen Camino.
nice! it's good to know others are moving slowly too.

I'm planning on going a bit faster at a couple of points. 35 days is my aim.
Hi Rita, me again . My camino last April / May I did it in 37 day's. I walked 2 short stages, the first one was to the albergue Orisson and the second one was to the monnestery in Samos. So my average was about 24 km. For me it was great and I had enough time every day to see the sites. For me the Camino is just that and meeting other pilgrims from al over the world. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Rita, me again . My camino last April / May I did it in 37 day's. I walked 2 short stages, the first one was to the albergue Orisson and the second one was to the monnestery in Samos. So my average was about 24 km. For me it was great and I had enough time every day to see the sites. For me the Camino is just that and meeting other pilgrims from al over the world. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

hmmm.... sounds like i need to increase my number of days perhaps.

Hi Rita, when my friend and I walked 2 years ago we averaged 20km or 12 miles a day - some zero, rest days, a couple of 8km days and the odd 20km+ day, the furthest we walked in a day was 28km but we only did that once or twice. We walked every step of the way from SJPP to Santiago and didn't fail to find a bed for the night. Our philosophy was that we were there and we wanted to make the most of each and every day so we travelled slowly. It took us 40 days to reach Santiago - an average of 12.5 miles a day if you take the distance as 500 miles (I don't know what the actual distance is).

When I walk again this year the friend that I am walking with this time is planning on covering 10 to 15km a day, at least for the first couple of weeks. If she doesn't feel up to longer days (she has some health issues) she will be happy to take a bus / skip a section - and it's her camino, i'm going along to support her, so even though i'd be more than happy to walk 20 to 30km a day i'll just be happy to be out there on the camino again. So as you see it's each to their own :)

hmmm.... sounds like i need to increase my number of days perhaps.
When you have the time to walk more day's, why not increase your day's. You have to do where you feel comfortabel by. What ever choice you make, you will do fine and you will have a great time. Wish you well, Peter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i'm so confused. i'm seeing everything from 460 to 500 miles. what is the actual mileage?

i'm so confused. i'm seeing everything from 460 to 500 miles. what is the actual mileage?

Hi Rita
You might find it easier to think in kms when in Spain, or you may get really confused :confused:. The actual distance, according to one guidebook is 490 miles, that is 789 kms. Jill

Hi Rita
You might find it easier to think in kms when in Spain, or you may get really confused :confused:. The actual distance, according to one guidebook is 490 miles, that is 789 kms. Jill

i can live with that. that's about 14 miles a day for 35 days.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
i can live with that. that's about 14 miles a day for 35 days.
Yes, it's quite doable. That's about the number of days I take to walk. Jill

I'm planning on taking a bit longer and doing about 13 miles a day.
I don't think they have miles in Spain! ;)

The equivalent of 20km is about 12 miles, which is a typical slow pace. There are plenty of places to stay covering approximately 20km per day. You might have to stretch is by 30 minutes to an hour on a few days.

Example (add two days at the beginning from SJPdP):

Attachments

• Camino de Santiago 20km days.pdf
    720.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think they have miles in Spain! ;)
:
I don't think they have miles in Spain either, Falcon;):confused::eek::rolleyes:
Seriously Rita, considering that all signs are in kms, plus ( I'm guessing here) all guides, plus all internet sites, I think you would be far better off to start considering kilometres. That's what you will be seeing and reading about constantly during your long walk!
Europe went decimal a long, long time ago! (Also too in Britain, I think)!

I took 36 days, not because I walk slowly, which I don't. I averaged about 3.5 miles / 6 km an hour. I like arriving at my destination for the day about noon so I can have the rest of the day to relax, wash my clothes, sightseeing, exploring (and get the bottom bunk. At 70, I hate having to climb into the top bunk). As I was sitting sipping a cold one and enjoying tapas about 4 in the afternoon, I saw pilgrims dragging in, tired and hot, and rushed, somewhat, to do the things that needed doing. It is easy to convert kms to miles. Multiply kms by .62.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
:)Hope your 40 days were as enjoyable as were my 36. Planning on doing it again next October. Whatever you are doing now, keep having fun.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back