• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

14 days available, best route

vartera2

I only have 14 walking days available due to work constraints and traveling to/from the US. I have read several times that I can start in Leon and finish within this time frame. However I have also read that the beginning segements are great. Would you recommend starting at Leon and walking to Santiago or rather start in St Jean walk to Pamlona then bus occasionally in order to make the whole trek in 14 days? I'm not sure if I will come back so want to maximize the entire trip/view.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dia duit, hello, hola,
Last year I walked from Leon to Santiago. It took me twelve days. I cannot comment on the route up to Leon (hopefully I will be able to after May this year) but I can tell you that I really enjoyed the section I walked and can recommend it as a fantastic way to spend twelve or fourteen days. Whichever way you intend to walk the Way I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.
Buen camino.
Regards,
Pat

I did an itinerary a couple of weeks ago based on a two weeks Camino. This might help you plan your own.

1) St Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles 25km R, P, H
2) Roncesvalles - Zubiri 21.8 46.8 R, P, H
3) Zubiri - Pamplona 25.5 47.3 R, P
4) Pamplona – Puente La Reina 23.5 72.3 P
5) Puente La Reina - Estella 22.0 94.3 R, P
6) Bus to Logroño http://www.laestellesa.com/ 7h45, 8h25, 10h50 (Takes 35mins) €4.64 Bus to Leon: only 2 http://www.Alsa.es buses per day to Leon: Dep: 04h35 – 08h345 or 15:15 Arr: 19:25 (Cost €32 or €35) €19.16 One night in Leon:
7) Alsa.es Buses to Astorga every half hour – take 50 mins - €3.40: If you want to sightsee in Leon get a later bus. If not, get an earlier bus and start walking to Rabanal 20.4 114.7

8) Rabanal - Molinaseca 24.9 139.6 R, P
9) Molinaseca – Ponferrada : Alsa.es bus at 11:45 to Sarria Arr: 14:15.
(Could stay a night, or walk 4.5km to Casa Carmen in Barbadelo ) 7.8
10) Sarria - Portomarin 22.4 169.8 R
11) Portomarin – Palas de Rei 24.9 194.7 R, 2P, C, H
12) Palas deRei - Ribadiso 25.7 220.4 R
13) Ribadiso – Pedrouza Arca 21.5 241.9 R, P
14) Arca - Santiago 20.1 262 R, P, C, H

**You could save a day (and have an extra day in Santiago) by not sleeping in Astorga. Get an early bus from Leon and start walking to Rabanal before lunch time.
Pre-book rooms in Rabanal so that you don’t miss out on beds.
Abbreviations:
R: pilgrims’ public hostel. P: pilgrims’ private hostel. A: youth hostel. C: campsite. H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found Leon to Santiago slightly challenging in two weeks, but then I am old and slow. It is quite possible, though.

Hi there
We had the same work constraints for our first camino in 2005 -only 2 weeks
and had a itinerary similar to silly doll except we walked to Logrono, bused to Sarria (via a one night stay in Leon) and then walked from Sarria to Santiago. We chose that because we had read that the scenery from St Jean was terrific...and it was.

The travelling on buses takes time so if you can minimise that travel time by looking at bus timetables that would be a good idea.
However by having a break in the walk .....it just made us want to return for more....so we have done that in later years.

Itinerary - as per sillydolls for day 1-5
Day 6 -8
Estella to Los Arcos; Los Arcos to Viana; Viana to Logrono -liesurely lunch at Logrono then bus late in the day to LEON- arrived 9pm - got hotel.-Stay One night in Leon
Day 9 Bus to Sarria - via Lugo stay Sarria -
Day 10-14) Sarria - to Santiago

A relevant question for many, including me, and what informative responses!

Thank you.

What would you guess the cost (American dollars)? I would be coming from NY.

Doing The Way may be a big case of wishful thinking for me, but I am doing the homework.

Physically, I can go distance walking, but prefer level and pleasant walking. I can "giddy up," when necessary and enjoy that kind of challenge, actually.

I tend to prefer trails that are not ankle twisters, partly so because my perceptual ability when looking at a descent, even on an escalator in a building, is a weakness. Of course, having come close to taking a couple of spills because of it on an escalator, in fact, probably also adds a psychological component. Or, there is the which came first the chicken or the egg riddle involved.

Busy with raising children, work, and night school, I have not dealt with it much, but now God is presenting things! LOL!

In sum, I need to weigh it in to my decisions, but not too much.

The "too much" I take to doing my homework, and TO PRAYER! Jesus take the wheel, in this case, boots.

I had eye surgery in 1995 and learned from other professionals, that the particular thing I have and/or the surgery that corrected it can cause slight perceptual impairment and one just compensates or accommodates.

Judging how close you are to something is another skill impacted ... I tend to park in bigger spots.

I also believe doing it more helps! You gotta get used to it by doing it! Like parallel parking.

All the photos I looked at of pilgrims on The Way, it looks like "smooth sailing" for me; the trail is pleasant walking, level.

Best wishes, everybody!
Jeanne

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I can’t believe there are this many people interested in helping others complete the journey. After reading thru posts I think I’m going to just walk straight Leon-Santiago as then I will not have to worry about bus timetables etc. Also I think I do not want to break up the itinerary (walk/bus etc) as I will feel I put more into the trek if I walk nonstop for 14 days. Thanks again everyone! I’m exciting to reach Leon on 5/12/2012 and begin my journey 5/13/2012!.

my suggestion- Astorga to Santiago

are you coming from madrid? if so, take the night bus to Astorga. Starting from Astorga will enable you to walk calmly without rushing . you will have 1 day for rest during the walk, 1 day to see Santiago and even 1 day to drive to Finistera. 14 days from Leon is too much. Don't risk it.

Re: my suggestion- Astorga to Santiago

zammy said:
are you coming from madrid? if so, take the night bus to Astorga. Starting from Astorga will enable you to walk calmly without rushing . you will have 1 day for rest during the walk, 1 day to see Santiago and even 1 day to drive to Finistera. 14 days from Leon is too much. Don't risk it.

I intend to fly to Madrid on 18 th May and spend the day looking around the city.Next day I am planning to get the bus to Astorga on the 20th start out for Santiago and hopefully make it there by the 31st.Thanks for the advice on starting in Astorga it confirms and reassures me.Rory P

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
vartera2 said:
I only have 14 walking days available due to work constraints and traveling to/from the US. I have read several times that I can start in Leon and finish within this time frame. However I have also read that the beginning segements are great. Would you recommend starting at Leon and walking to Santiago or rather start in St Jean walk to Pamlona then bus occasionally in order to make the whole trek in 14 days? I'm not sure if I will come back so want to maximize the entire trip/view.

Have you considered the Camino Portugues? It's flatter, shorter, a bit easier? I only have five days and I'm walking from Valenca Portugal to Santiago and I'm no spring chicken :) I'm 51 walking with my friend that is 34!

Good luck!
Bom Caminho
C

I walked the Portugese camino in 2009 .Porto to Santiago..Took about 11/12 days. It was absolutly beautiful.. Well marked. Plenty of room in the alburges. I have walked the camino Frances 4 times , but the Portugese will always be in my heart... Pat

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked the Portugese camino in 2009 .Porto to Santiago..Took about 11/12 days. It was absolutly beautiful.. Well marked. Plenty of room in the alburges. I have walked the camino Frances 4 times , but the Portugese will always be in my heart... Pat

Thank you for this! I am doing the Camino with my son from April 21 - May 16, 2015. My (nine-in-April) son wants to walk along the coast, but the North Route is too hilly and uncertain. What was your route (stops) from Proto to Santiago? Also how long (if you did this) is the walk from Santiago to the Atlantic coast?

Thanks for your help! The Camino Portugues sounds beautiful.

A relevant question for many, including me, and what informative responses!

All the photos I looked at of pilgrims on The Way, it looks like "smooth sailing" for me; the trail is pleasant walking, level.

Jeanne

Oh no, there are some fantastic hills along the Camino Frances. Not sure about Portugues.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back