• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

14 days to Santiago...

Minkey

I should probably know this by now, but for some reason, today, I'm suffering from a terrible, terrible mental block!!

Leon to Santiago - Can't you do it in 2 weeks? I think you can, but I really can't remember.. I'm asking on behalf of a pilgrim friend of mine I met last year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola peregrino,
It is about 312 km from Leon to Santiago so 14 days would mean walking about 22kms per day.

I did it in 15 days in August with very relaxed 14-22km days, so within 2 weeks is easily do-able. My other half is doing it (easily) right now as a matter of fact!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have just checked my diary and I did it in 11 days last summer!

Wolverine, I think I'll be having a year off this year!

Aw, Minkey. :( Do you remember where you stopped each night? I'm trying to work out my itinerary right now, taking into account the fact that I don't do well on ascents, so it will take me 2 days to do O'Cebreiro. :)

Kelly

Hi Kelly,
We didn't stop at O'Cebreiro last time. We stayed at La Faba (there are two albergues there) and then on to Triacastela the next day stopping to have breakfast at O'Cebreiro. If you don't do hills well then it will help to break the climb by staying at La Faba. The German run albergue is clean and well run. The Refugio Vegetariano (about 10 places in the loft) is owned by a German Hippie and is quite atmospheric with its incense and eastern jewellery.

Attachments

• Al vege.JPG
    Al vege.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,366
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The other place in La Faba isn't bad either, just by the church, although I too have heard nice things about this new one (with teepees to boot!)

I decided to stay in O Cebriero last time and didn't find it as bad as I'd expected. Triacastella is also nice, then onwards via Samos is beautiful.

The German albergue was established by a veteran pilgrim who was once lost in a snow blizzard whilst crossing the Pyrenees. He promised God that he would establish a refuge for pilgrims if he was saved. He raised money for the albergue and his non-profit organisation also renovated the church. You can read more about it here http://www.lafaba.de/)
The statue of a pilgrim that welcomes you as you arrive was donated by Diane Duchess of Württemberg, born Princess of France. (See her works here http://www.ddiane.de/)
The founder offered free accommodation to any pilgrim who could recite a poem or sing a song from Baden-Württemberg. (He passed away in 2006).

Attachments

• La Faba sculpture.jpg
    La Faba sculpture.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,347
I never knew that... That's the place I stopped at the year before last when I had stomach ache. Very accommodating.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think it's worth getting the best part of that (horrible, horrible) hill done with, so you're fresh for a nice chilled out stroll downhill the day after. That's what I reckon anyway!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kelly,
The incline isn't severe - it's a longish drag to a bump in the path. I found going down the other side far more taxing as it is like walking downhill in a river bed with no respite from round pebbles and boulders - ankle snapping stuff. The view from the top is stunning. Looking back you can see Pamplona in wide, flat plain and on the other side you can see little pueblos and almost to Estella in the distance.

I doubt it Kelly... it is much easier than the descent from the Alto. The views even more glorious.
Look Up as much as you can. We get to looking at our feet so much to watch where we're stepping that one forgets to look at the surroundings. Also, look back to where you have been.... from that backwards glance/angle is like seeing a new place. Take it is you like. :wink:

19 days to go,
Lillian

Coming down ain't the problem!

I've always found that last bit before O Cebreiro really tough, the bit along the road.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Erm... In my opinion, the climb is the worst on the Camino. It's rocky all the way to La Faba, and then some, then you've got a horrible bit on the road. My advice - Be prepared to sweat like you've never sweated before!

Downhill wise, there are few downhills that are as difficult as the one from Alto del Perdon. There's only one that springs to mind and it's going down from Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo, but it's not quite that bad...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well guys, now that I am one month and a half from starting my Camino, I find all these lovely :oops: :oops: impressions from all the seasoned peregrinos whose posts I have always looked forward to reading!! :D :D :D OK, I'll have to increase my walkings and exercises and review my expectations about the difficulties of the Camino that somehow I thought were more frequent in the Pyrinees and O Cebreiro... Anyway, seriously now, thank you for all your help and prompt responses regarding our fears and lack of knowledge. Hope to meet some of you along the way. Regards, Sumachado.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
IMO the climb is not as bad as Minkey recalls. My 60+ yo wife, just over 9 months from her 2nd total knee replacement, made it without any great difficulty.

Kelly I walked on the road the first time because it was sheeting down with rain and visibility was almost nil and the CSJ guide advised walkers to take the cyclist's route in bad weather. It is a long (longer than the path), winding way up but not as arduous as the path. However, if it is a beautiful day and if you are feeling full of vooma - take the path - it is very beautiful and you will be able to stay at La Faba on the way up. You will have all day to get there so just take it slow and rest when you need to. I found O'Cebrerio very touristy - it is a listed village and is on the route of every touring bus in Spain. In 2004 we just stopped for breakfast and that is what we did last year too.
When you go down to Tricastela you could take the road route. The path leaves and rejoins the road continuously and this means tumbling down into the valley and climbing back up to the road. I found that walk very strenuous in the heat of the day.

Attachments

• On the way to Triacastella .jpg
    On the way to Triacastella .jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 873
  • On the way to Tricastella.jpg
    On the way to Tricastella.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 872
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well I think it's bad because it's so drawn out... admittedly, I do tend to walk rather quickly, but as I remember, it was bad... and I've done it a few times as well!

"O'Cebrerio very touristy", that is true but If I remember right, there is a hotel on top with a nice restaurant and bar. I remember sitting outside the restaurant in the warm sun and having a gin and tonic with a great view and good friendly conversation, very joy filled. The refugio wasn't my favorite, but not the most challenging by any means.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back