Search 69,459 Camino Questions

14 days - Via Francigena or Camino Primitivo

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hmm...after 6 different Camino routes and 3,000 km (+/5 kms 😊) I really thought I was done. My last Camino on the Portugués route was my toughest...cobblestones, rain, shoe/sock mistakes resulted in painful blisters and I decided that was it! Never again!

Well...maybe not. I have an opportunity in May 2020 to rejoin a Brazilian friend (from the Frances Camino and Portugués Camino) for a short 14 day walk.

Right now the choice is between Via Francigena (from San Gimignano) or the Camino Primitivo (Ovedio) both roughly 320 kms.

Looking at the Sloways app for the Via Francigena route the avg daily ascent is 325 metres and avg daily descent 350 metres so outside of a few clearly tougher days seems quite reasonable.

I have the Wise Pilgrim app for the Camino Primitivo and would like to get an avg daily ascent and descent for comparison purposes however I can’t seem to get at these. Would appreciate any help with this.

I am quite sure the Camino Primitivo will have on average more difficult days however would like to better understand this.

As always I welcome any thoughts from Forum members on which route they preferred if they have walked both...or any other suggestions...

Meanwhile I have to start thinking about packing...only 10 months away 😊😊😊.

Thanks

Guy

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you get the Buen Camino app and go into “plan your daily stages” then “set up daily stage” it gives you the total ascent and descent for the day. Very handy, but i think it measures every bump in the road so it can look scary. (Some day’s over 1000m).

Many thanks John. I was not aware of this app and it is exactly what I was looking for! I have read that the Camino Primitivo is considered the most difficult route into Santiago de Compostela. Sure looks like it!!!

Very early planning stages for me...both routes look quite interesting for a 2 week walk!

Do I want to walk to Santiago de Compostela for a 3rd time (two other times lucky enough to see the Botafumeiro) or change things up and walk into Rome?

Fun thinking ahead!

Cheers

Guy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I’ve stated before, I always prefer to walk ‘complete’ caminos where possible, so I’d do the Primitivo. But maybe that’s just me. The Primitivo is a great little camino that has a bit of everything, so I doubt you’d regret it unless the weather was awful (which, come to think of it, is quite likely!).

Good luck with your choice.

I have done both twice and Primitivo wins hands down over 14 days for me although they are totally different experiences. You need more time on the VF so I would not like to rush it over 14 days. You could start at Siena and reach Rome in 14 days but it would put you under pressure. On the VF you will see some beautiful old towns but the Primitivo has far more spectacular scenery. The walking on the VF is easier but you could also have quite a solitary journey. Accommodation is far easier on the Primitivo.

As I’ve stated before, I always prefer to walk ‘complete’ caminos where possible, so I’d do the Primitivo. But maybe that’s just me. The Primitivo is a great little camino that has a bit of everything, so I doubt you’d regret it unless the weather was awful (which, come to think of it, is quite likely!).

Good luck with your choice.
Thanks Nick. I also was leaning to Camino Primitivo for the same reason you mentioned... a complete Camino has appeal to me as well. I have seen two breakdown of stages Buen Camino app - 11 days on Primitivo and 2 on Frances while the Stingy Nomad website has 12 and 2.

Considering the altitude gains and losses I definitely would prefer 12 and 2. Interested to hear how you broke down the walk stagewise.

Thanks

Guy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have done both twice and Primitivo wins hands down over 14 days for me although they are totally different experiences. You need more time on the VF so I would not like to rush it over 14 days. You could start at Siena and reach Rome in 14 days but it would put you under pressure. On the VF you will see some beautiful old towns but the Primitivo has far more spectacular scenery. The walking on the VF is easier but you could also have quite a solitary journey. Accommodation is far easier on the Primitivo.
Thanks Jennysa as your perspective given having walked both a couple of times is really great! I have hiked in the Canadian Rockies on many occasions so the comment on spectacular scenery makes me lean to the Camino Primitivo.

I am curious about your comment that the Via Francigena requires more time...Sienne to Rome is I think 274 kms or about 40 kms less than the Camino Primitivo to Santiago. Does one simply need to go slower to gain an appreciation of the Via Francigena or is there another reason?

Also curious as to the stages you walked on the Camino Primitivo.

Thanks

Guy

The VF is a very different experience than any of the Caminos, and it is quite a bit more expensive. Based on my experience starting in Luca in May 2018, food and lodging cost more in Italy than in Spain. Lodging was harder to come by, you can't just follow a yellow arrow to an albergue. Some nights we had to walk miles out of our way to find lodging. It gets easier the closer to Rome you get. Local people were often happy to see us walking and stopped to talk. This happened a lot more in Italy than in Spain. The fact that we didn't understand Italian didn't seem to matter to them, they talked to us anyway. The food is more interesting in Italy.

Interested to hear how you broke down the walk stagewise.

I found my stages in an old notes file - 13 walking days and a rest day. It looks like I stopped listing distances after a while - sorry about that!

Day 1 - Oviedo to Escamplero (via the Naranco Site) = 17.2kms (AlbergueMunicipal del Escamplero)
Day 2 - Escamplero to San Juan de Villapañada = 17.8kms
Day 3 - Villapañada to Bodenaya = 28kms
Day 4 - Bodenaya to Campiello = 24kms (Casa del Ricardo)
Day 5 - Campiello to Berducedo = 29kms (Casa Marquez)
Day 6 - Berducedo to Castro (Albergue Juvenil)
Day 7 - Castro to Fonsagrada (Cantábrica)
Day 8 - Fonsagrada to Cádavo Boleiro (Porta Santa)
Day 9 - Cádavo to Lugo (Muralla Romana)
Day 10 - Rest Day in Lugo
Day 11 - Lugo to Ferreira (A Nave)
Day 12 - Ferreira to Boente (Os Albergues)
Day 13 - Ferreira to Santa Irene
Day 14 - Santa Irene to Santiago

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found my stages in an old notes file - 13 walking days and a rest day. It looks like I stopped listing distances after a while - sorry about that!

Day 1 - Oviedo to Escamplero (via the Naranco Site) = 17.2kms (AlbergueMunicipal del Escamplero)
Thanks Nick for taking the time to outline your stages...much appreciated and very helpful. I find it most interesting to see how there are many different ways to walk a Camino.

Guy

Guy, is that ending the Camino Verde? I am starting in Oviedo on August 26 and thinking of avoiding crowds on the CF.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmm...after 6 different Camino routes and 3,000 km (+/5 kms 😊) I really thought I was done. My last Camino on the Portugués route was my toughest...cobblestones, rain, shoe/sock mistakes resulted in painful blisters and I decided that was it! Never again!

Well...maybe not. I have an opportunity in May 2020 to rejoin a Brazilian friend (from the Frances Camino and Portugués Camino) for a short 14 day walk.

Right now the choice is between Via Francigena (from San Gimignano) or the Camino Primitivo (Ovedio) both roughly 320 kms.

Looking at the Sloways app for the Via Francigena route the avg daily ascent is 325 metres and avg daily descent 350 metres so outside of a few clearly tougher days seems quite reasonable.

I have the Wise Pilgrim app for the Camino Primitivo and would like to get an avg daily ascent and descent for comparison purposes however I can’t seem to get at these. Would appreciate any help with this.

I am quite sure the Camino Primitivo will have on average more difficult days however would like to better understand this.

As always I welcome any thoughts from Forum members on which route they preferred if they have walked both...or any other suggestions...

Meanwhile I have to start thinking about packing...only 10 months away 😊😊😊.

Thanks

Guy
14 days the Primitivo …. for the Via Francigena is wonderful as well especially from San Gimignano

I didn’t do the Camino Verde but I’ve heard good things about it. I didn’t love the Primitivo after Lugo so I’d definitely do the Verde next time!
Yup, the Verde is in my plans! I was meeting folks in Sarria last time and visited Lugo while waiting for them to arrive. Beautiful city. The quiet path is for me

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I also agree about the route after Lugo. After the wonderful scenery up to Lugo, the next section is by contrast rather bland and flat with no challenges. And then there is that shock to the system when you hit Melide

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Primitivo!

One of my colleagues did the Francigena from Lucca on Easter-break this year in 14 days and she said it's doable, but exhausting.
From San Gimignano should be easier and shorter. But she mentioned that the infrastructure is not comparable to one of the spanish Caminos. It is much more expensive and it is not as good in infrastructure. She did have to search intensively for her accomodation more than once or twice.

If you are a bit adventurous, choose the Francigena, if you like Spain, take the Primitivo.

The Primitivo!

One of my colleagues did the Francigena from Lucca on Easter-break this year in 14 days and she said it's doable, but exhausting.
From San Gimignano should be easier and shorter. But she mentioned that the infrastructure is not comparable to one of the spanish Caminos. It is much more expensive and it is not as good in infrastructure. She did have to search intensively for her accomodation more than once or twice.

If you are a bit adventurous, choose the Francigena, if you like Spain, take the Primitivo.
Thank you. The more I research the more confused I am.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a good snack to buy for the hospitalès route Nothing major just something to keep me going Many thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back