• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

14 days

AndreasGL

Time of past OR future Camino
None, so far
Hi there,

I am planning to walk a part of the camino in june and july - for around 14 days, but I have some questions:

Is there a route between 250 and 300 km you would recommend?
How do I get a passport for that route? I would prefer to stay at hostry, not any fancy hotels.

Hope someone can help!

:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you're not too concerned about getting to Santiago, then I'd recommend starting at Saint Jean Pied de Port. This is the traditional starting point of the Camino Frances, so you'll get to start off with lots of other excited pilgrims, all going through similar things so it's a great bonding experience. You'll also get to see a range of amazing landscapes, from the green Pyrenees on the French side, to the dry hills of Navarra, and then the vineyards of Rioja. You'll probably get as far as Burgos in 14 days, which has good transport connections if you need to catch a flight back home.

You can get your pilgrim "credencial" (pilgrim passport) from the pilgrim office at Saint Jean Pied de Port. Don't worry you can't miss it, it's in the centre of the village. Otherwise you can order one from the online store in this forum. From Sain-Jean-Pied-de-Port, you just follow the arrows (and all the other pilgrims in front of you), and at the end of every "stage" you'll find a variety of accommodation options. A hostel is called an "albergue". Most pilgrims aim for the "municipal albergues", which are very basic and cost around €6-€12 per night. The "refugios" are albergues run by religious organisations. Every now and then you might find a "donativo", where you pay a donation. Otherwise there are lots of private albergues too.

This website has some information about each stage and accommodation options (it's in Spanish but you can probably make out the basic details).

To get to Saint Jean Pied de Port you'll need to catch a train from Bayonne. The closest airport is Biarritz. If that's not an option for you, you could also try Bordeaux.

[p.s. Just wanted to add that it's going to be very hot and busy on the French Way in July, no matter where you start. This might be exactly what you're looking for, but thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware!]

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am planning to walk a part of the camino in june and july - for around 14 days, but I have some questions:

How do I get a passport for that route? I would prefer to stay at hostry, not any fancy hotels.

Hope someone can help!

If you want to end in Santiago (and get the Compostela) I suggest you start in Astorga. That would total around 275 km and take you through some very nice mountainous stages and past Cruz de Ferro.

The easiest way to get a passport (I assume you refer to the Pilgrim’s Credential) is to order it in advance from the Forum Store on this website. The Credential is necessary if you want to stay in the albergues and also as documentation for your walk in order to claim the Compostela.

Buen Camino/god tur :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you are interested in the meseta it is about 230 km between Burgos and Astorga. Brierley's guide suggests 11 stages. Good transport on either end. Extra time can be spent touring Leon or the end points or Madrid.

Hi there,

Hope someone can help!

You could do the Primitivo or Portuguese route. You can order the Credential from the Forum Store. https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...passport-from-the-pilgrims-office-in-santiago

I would take you further back and suggest you start at Le Puy-en-Velay in south central France. This is where one of the eariest recorded pilgrims started from. From Denmark you might find a flight to Lyon (second city in France) and a two hour train trip to Le Puy.

According to a Michelin guide 161 Chemins de Compostelle the distance from Le Puy to Figeac is 256 km and has 12 stages. Figeac is a railway hub and should have no trouble travelling home (or anywhere) from there.

@AndreasGL , I wish you kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I am walking in June and have exactly 21 days, but I only want to walk about 15km a day, so I am starting just past Leon, following the advice of experienced people here on the Forum.

I would recomend doing the Portuguese Camino, from porto tpo Santiago. You would have plenty of time to do the route and anjoy the cities along the way.

@AndreasGL , whatever you decide is great and will be for you.

My suggestion of starting at, say, Le Puy would put you in the group of the many French and Swiss (both French and German speakers) walkers I encountered who spent either one week or two walking. Then they would return next year/time to where they finished last time and continue for another week or so.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you start in Astorga as suggested above you can get your credential at the Siervas de Maria albergue - I know because I ran out of room in my first credential because at first I was so excited I stamped getting ice cream, at a boy's lemonade stand, etc. so I bought my second credential in Astorga.

Thx to all of you - for your good advices.

Is it correct that you just show up at the albergues? You don´t have to book a bed before showing up, right?

If you want to end in Santiago (and get the Compostela) I suggest you start in Astorga. That would total around 275 km and take you through some very nice mountainous stages and past Cruz de Ferro.

The easiest way to get a passport (I assume you refer to the Pilgrim’s Credential) is to order it in advance from the Forum Store on this website. The Credential is necessary if you want to stay in the albergues and also as documentation for your walk in order to claim the Compostela.

Buen Camino/god tur :)

Hey.

Formoder du er dansk. Hvordan kommer man nemmest til Astorga fra Danmark?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey, yes, I am from Denmark, but I think we should keep the conversation in English so that other members have a chance to chime in if they have experience that they want to share.

I never travelled directly to Astorga, but I believe that an easy journey would be from Copenhagen to Madrid, from there to León and on to Astorga. There are cheap flights out of Copenhagen, check e.g. on Momondo. From the Chámartin train station in Madrid, there are fast trains to León (around 2 hours). There are cheap buses from the airport to Chámartin, a taxi would be around 30 Euro. In León catch a bus to Astorga (the bus terminal is right next to the train station), I guess that would be no more than an hour’s bus ride. If you take the “shit-o’clock-plane” (6 am) out of Copenhagen, you should be able to reach Astorga sometime in the afternoon.

Happy planning :)

Hey, yes, I am from Denmark, but I think we should keep the conversation in English so that other members have a chance to chime in if they have experience that they want to share.

I never travelled directly to Astorga, but I believe that an easy journey would be from Copenhagen to Madrid, from there to León and on to Astorga. There are cheap flights out of Copenhagen, check e.g. on Momondo. From the Chámartin train station in Madrid, there are fast trains to León (around 2 hours). There are cheap buses from the airport to Chámartin, a taxi would be around 30 Euro. In León catch a bus to Astorga (the bus terminal is right next to the train station), I guess that would be no more than an hour’s bus ride. If you take the “shit-o’clock-plane” (6 am) out of Copenhagen, you should be able to reach Astorga sometime in the afternoon.

Happy planning :)

True! You´re right.

Thanks for your answer! Makes sense.

True! You´re right.

Thanks for your answer! Makes sense.

Maybe you can answer another question as well.

Do you know if it's possible just to show up at the albergues and have a bed for the night? Or are we supposed to make a reservation at all the places we consider to stay?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hallo AndreasGL,

my suggestion is also the Camino Portugues. When you look at www.gronze.com, only to get an impression how you could shape the etapes, you will see 14 days walking from Astorga to Santiago and 10 days from Porto to Santiago. Of course, you can walk differend km, but only as an impression.

If I had two weeks, for me, the distance from Astorga would be too tight calculated. It´s nothing you can´t manage, but I don´t like to be in a hurry on the Camino. I like to have two or three days in the back to stop if there is an interesting place or to make a short etape not to leave my caminofriends etc.

From Porto the way could be three or four days less and Porto is directly (and often quite cheap) connected by plane to Copenhagen.

You could start at the atlantic ocean, then walk after 1 1/2 days inside to Valenca and further to Santiago (11 days).
Or continue at the coast until Caminha. From there you can go by a ferry to the spanish side of the Rio Mino and continue at the coast (you need 14 days)
or you can walk from Caminha along the river over Valenca to Santiago (11 day).

I did the way inside and the way at the coast to Caminha/Valenca and it was both times very nice. Inside the country you will have much more pilgrim contacts than on the coast. But nothing against the Camino Frances from Astorga.

Without a doubt the way from Astorga is very beautiful, but it can be quite full.

It depends, what you like.

Wether you walk the Camino Frances, the Portugues or another Camino. In every case I would recommend to fly home from Porto. You can go there by train or bus, if necessary directly to the airport, for about 30,- € and it needs around 3 -4 hours. From Santiago to Denmark there is no direct flight.

June/July every Monday and Friday
Copenhagen - Porto 21:25/20:35 - 23:50/23:00 between 25 € -111 €

Porto - Copenhagen 16:35/15:45 - 21:00/20:10 between 25 € - 166 €

Buen Camino

Michael

Last edited:
No, normaly it´s not necessary and in many cases also not possible to make a reservation.

That´s the best on the way - you did not promise anyone to be in XXXX today at 6pm.

You are free👍👍👍 - do what you want and do not, what you don´t want.😜

Hallo AndreasGL,

I saw it just now, you wrote you post in the forum "Camines Frances", but I picked it up directly in "New questions".

So - a nice answer, unfortunately not suitable for the question.👎

Have a nice walk on the Frances 😜

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I would recomend doing the Portuguese Camino, from porto tpo Santiago. You would have plenty of time to do the route and anjoy the cities along the way.
I agree , you can get the credential in the cathedral of Porto or any of the your local Camino associations and there maybe speak with some live person from their experience.

Hallo AndreasGL,

my suggestion is also the Camino Portugues. When you look at www.gronze.com, only to get an impression how you could shape the etapes, you will see 14 days walking from Astorga to Santiago and 10 days from Porto to Santiago. Of course, you can walk differend km, but only as an impression.

If I had two weeks, for me, the distance from Astorga would be too tight calculated. It´s nothing you can´t manage, but I don´t like to be in a hurry on the Camino. I like to have two or three days in the back to stop if there is an interesting place or to make a short etape not to leave my caminofriends etc.

From Porto the way could be three or four days less and Porto is directly (and often quite cheap) connected by plane to Copenhagen.

You could start at the atlantic ocean, then walk after 1 1/2 days inside to Valenca and further to Santiago (11 days).
Or continue at the coast until Caminha. From there you can go by a ferry to the spanish side of the Rio Mino and continue at the coast (you need 14 days)
or you can walk from Caminha along the river over Valenca to Santiago (11 day).

I did the way inside and the way at the coast to Caminha/Valenca and it was both times very nice. Inside the country you will have much more pilgrim contacts than on the coast. But nothing against the Camino Frances from Astorga.

Without a doubt the way from Astorga is very beautiful, but it can be quite full.

It depends, what you like.

Wether you walk the Camino Frances, the Portugues or another Camino. In every case I would recommend to fly home from Porto. You can go there by train or bus, if necessary directly to the airport, for about 30,- € and it needs around 3 -4 hours. From Santiago to Denmark there is no direct flight.

June/July every Monday and Friday
Copenhagen - Porto 21:25/20:35 - 23:50/23:00 between 25 € -111 €

Porto - Copenhagen 16:35/15:45 - 21:00/20:10 between 25 € - 166 €

Buen Camino

Michael

Thanks a lot, Michael!

Hallo AndreasGL,

when you scroll up, you will find right on this side under the headline "Most downloaded Resources"
a list with all Albergues on the Camino Frances.

It is always good to know how many beds there are in your destination. Especially if it´s quite full on the way or maybe a small group has formed, and everyone needs a bed.

Very helpful.

Michael

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe you can answer another question as well.

Do you know if it's possible just to show up at the albergues and have a bed for the night? Or are we supposed to make a reservation at all the places we consider to stay?

Just for the record, I am not trying to talk you into walking a specific camino or a specific distance. I based my response on what seemed to be your preferences (The Frances and between 250-300 km).

As for making reservations in albergues that is a question of personal choice. You can just show up and “go with the flow” which some people prefer, while others like to call and reserve a bed 1 or a couple of days in advance. There are of course pros and cons; The first approach gives you the ultimate freedom but also carries the risk that you may occasionally have to walk on (or taxi) to the next village, while the latter approach may give you more “peace of mind” but at the same time posing some restrictions. It’s a matter of personal temperament; I always reserve in advance, that suits me, I like to know the distance that I will be walking each day and that there is a bed waiting for me at the end of the day.

Specifically from Sarria and onwards to Santiago it could be good to reserve a day in advance as that particular stretch is very popular.

If you are looking for the last part of the of the CF i also recommend Astorga to Santiago or even Leon to Santiago as it might be easier to get to Leon. While I dont recommend the 200km before Leon as I found the least attractive part of the CF. The part from Leon to Astorga is not bad, different that after Astorga and can be done in a day. I meet quite a few people starting in Leon.

Other Camino are as mentioned by other The Portugese (from Porto) and the Primitivo. In summer I personally might prefer these to the CF as i would expect it to get very crowdy at the end.

Hi there,

Hope someone can help!

Start from Astorga 👍👍

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.