• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

14 "spare" days in Santiago - what to do.

BarbaraW

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2019/22, Portuguese 2023, Ingles 2024
I had allowed myself plenty of time to walk the Caminho Portugues, so that in Santiago I would be able to meet up with a friend who first introduced me to the Camino, and who was walking her final section from O Cebreiro to Santiago. Shortly before leaving her doctor advised her not to walk. I then decided to speed up the Portuguese so that I would have time to walk that section for her.
As I approach Santiago (arriving 3 May) my elderly hips and feet are telling me that that is not a good idea.
My transport home from SdC is booked for 19 May and the tickets cannot be changed.
I'd appreciate ideas about using this time. I'd happily do some voluntary work if that were possible but imagine that my basic Spanish would mean that I wouldn't be very useful.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What about some happy days on the galician beach? I‘d recommend you Carnota. It has wide and clean beach, about 8 km long and 100 to 200 m deep (depending on tide). And outside of the spanish summer holidays and may be a sunny weekend you virtually have it on your own. Take the bus to Finisterre and in an hour you will be there.

I had allowed myself plenty of time to walk the Caminho Portugues, so that in Santiago I would be able to meet up with a friend who first introduced me to the Camino, and who was walking her final section from O Cebreiro to Santiago. Shortly before leaving her doctor advised her not to walk. I then decided to speed up the Portuguese so that I would have time to walk that section for her.
As I approach Santiago (arriving 3 May) my elderly hips and feet are telling me that that is not a good idea.
My transport home from SdC is booked for 19 May and the tickets cannot be changed.
I'd appreciate ideas about using this time. I'd happily do some voluntary work if that were possible but imagine that my basic Spanish would mean that I wouldn't be very useful.
There’s some tour companies based in Santiago (Tour Galicia, Toxo Tours, etc.) who offer a bunch of day trips on coaches to see various nearby places. These include trips to the Costa da Morte including Finisterre and Muxia, Rias Baixas, La Coruna, Lugo, etc. I think one even does a day trip to Porto. And of course if you want to go see some of the nearby towns on your own rather than on an organised tour you can get buses and/or trains from Santiago to those places. So that’s a potential way to make use of your time as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
And here’s another idea if you feel up to another day of walking - Johnnie Walker Santiago has devised a 14km ‘Route of Routes’ walk in and around Santiago which incorporates sections from five of the Camino routes: http://www.xacobeo.fr/ZE2.06.Sant.routes_JWalker_en.pdf

Porto, Fatima, Lisbon if you head south. Bilbao and San Sebastián if you head northeast. And plenty of other fabulous places if you hard in any other direction! Bud, train, or Blablacar - life is too short to simply hang out for that long in a city doing nothing. If the volunteering falls through, go explore!

Porto, Fatima, Lisbon if you head south. Bilbao and San Sebastián if you head northeast. And plenty of other fabulous places if you hard in any other direction! Bud, train, or Blablacar - life is too short to simply hang out for that long in a city doing nothing. If the volunteering falls through, go explore!
Also take a few train/bus trips. Zamora is a great city to visit and close on the train. Lugo is also supposed to be very cool although I have not been there yet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There’s a recent ‘amateur traveller’ podcast entitled ‘travel to Galicia in Spain’ (to differentiate it from all the other Galicias I suppose) which may be useful. Slightly against the run of play the contributor to this episode actually knew what she was talking about

Take a train or bus to Bilbao (a long journey, admittedly) and then San Sebastian. Bilbao has the Guggenheim and the Old Town with its great Plaza Nueva square stuffed with tapas (pintxos) bars. San Seb has beaches, a great bar scene and much more. Or what about Salamanca?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There’s a recent ‘amateur traveller’ podcast entitled ‘travel to Galicia in Spain’ (to differentiate it from all the other Galicias I suppose) which may be useful. Slightly against the run of play the contributor to this episode actually knew what she was talking about
I believe there is a Galicia in eastern Europe.

In 2018 I had a week ’spare’ at the end so took the high speed trains to Madrid and Cadiz. The weather was warm, the beaches great but the highlight was the incredible old town of Cadiz, the history and architecture. Not to mention the seafood. So many wonderful alternatives in Spain and Portugal. Seville also wonderful!

Yup

main-qimg-bea160850545d7b86b33d48e46f58fb0-lq

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Take the bus to Lisbon and enjoy a few days there, or some resort on the coast of Spain..it’s beautiful and relaxing

I approach Santiago (arriving 3 May).
I would suggest going by bus to Oviedo to see the cloth used to cover the face of Christ, located in the cathedral in that city. ALSA made the bus run when I went there (saw it twice). Would recommend using Hotel Felix within walking distance (about 3 blocks or so away form the bus station), inexpensive-- I'm sure there's also an albergue in that city but have no experience with it. It's a lovely city and worth 2 to 3 nights without spending too much money.

Last edited:
Take the bus up to
I'd appreciate ideas about using this time. I'd happily do some voluntary work if that were possible but imagine that my basic Spanish would mean that I wouldn't be very useful
Take the bus to Fisterra. The albergue there is lovely enjoy a couple of days on the beach, walk up to the lighthouse and arrive at the ‘end of the earth’ a lovely completion of the Camino.
In Santiago, try the cathedral roof tour, visit the wonderful market, say hello to Ivar!

Take the bus up to

Take the bus to Fisterra. The albergue there is lovely enjoy a couple of days on the beach, walk up to the lighthouse and arrive at the ‘end of the earth’ a lovely completion of the Camino.
In Santiago, try the cathedral roof tour, visit the wonderful market, say hello to Ivar!
I was going to walk to Fisterra but instead decided to spend 3 nights in Santiago to absorb the atmosphere and then take the bus to Fisterra were I have a room booked for 2 nights. Need the rest and relaxation before going back to the 10 hour days in the hot kitchen at our restaurant at the start of the summer rush. Have to see the "end of the earth".

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Keep walking to Muxia and Finisterre. Spend some time at the seaside and relax. Then walk back to Santiago. That's if you're up for more walking...

It's the southwest part of Poland where my first wife's grandparents came from. After centuries of coexistence, they suddenly kicked out all the Jews—the people who could read and write—and the economy collapsed, sending all four of Monica's grandparents to USA.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back