150km on St Olav's? | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

150km on St Olav's?

Discussion in 'St Olav´s Way to Trondheim' started by jrm, Oct 4, 2015.

1. jrm

jrm Active Member

Hello all,

After going on pilgrimage to Santiago this last year, I've been looking at other pilgrimage trails in Europe. I've never been to Norway/Sweden, and St Olav's caught my attention. I realize it is a very different experience However, Is there a place to start that is roughly 150km from Trondheim? The amount of time that takes is roughly the amount of time I generally have for these adventures. any direction is appreciated!

2. dougfitz

dougfitz Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Mar 2010, May/Jun 2016, Sep 2011, 2012, Apr 2014, St Olav's Way 2018
    Starting at Oppdal would be a reasonable option for the route from Oslo. It is about 144 km. I walked in seven days, but it could be done in less. When I walked there were some limitations about where to stay, but it seems that has improved and there may be more options now.

@lovingkindness has just completed one of the northern routes. There should be good places to start and do a similar distance on that route.

3. jrm

jrm Active Member

Thanks Dougfitz. I appreciate the info. Now, that I'm looking at my post, I realize that I should have written "miles"... ha! Very different. Is there a similar spot for about 150 miles?

4. dougfitz

Camino(s) past & future:
    I think walking from Dovre would be about 220km. I cannot be more exact as I removed my Norway maps and archived the tracks after answering your earlier question not realizing that you had other questions.

5. jrm

jrm Active Member

I appreciate the ballpark Dougfitz. That gives me a good general idea to start looking at!

6. Pabloke

Pabloke Guest

I started at Hjerkinn.

133 miles / 215 kms. Ten walking days recommended though I just needed eight.

7. dougfitz

Camino(s) past & future:
    @Pabloke is right. My track from Hjerkinn was 221 km. I walked that in 10 days, so there were a few shorter (<20km) days. At that stage on my pilgrimage, there was a large pilgrim group a day ahead of me and they were booking out accommodation. I caught up with after Oppdal and they stayed an extra night at Meslo Gard. This allowed me to get a day ahead of them. My track from Dovre was 260 km, with two days walking from Dovre to Hjerkinn.