• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

18 days to walk and end in Santiago - Leon or Sahagun start?

Melissa F

Time of past OR future Camino
1st Camino - Sept 2016
Hello! My name is Melissa, and I'm new to the forum today. Thanks much for providing your experience within sites like this - reminds us that you don't have to figure everything out on your own. I'm coming in to walk the Camino from Minneapolis, and walking 18 days starting Saturday, Sept 10 (I fly in the day before in morning), and meeting a friend early afternoon in Santiago on Tuesday, Sept 27 @ 2pm. I did some searches through the other posts also, and was hoping I could get some input on start location.

--> Would you recommend starting in Leon or Sahagun? Or some other location?

Factors I'm considering:
* I walk about 5 or 5.5 km (3+miles) an hour on paved roads/sidewalks with my pack on in my neighborhood.
* I'm an experienced short distance walker (1-3 hrs), but have not walked this type of distance prior multiple days in a row. Pretty good health with the exception of a hypothyroid thing that occasionally creates fatigue if I forget to manage it.
* I'd really like to walk and see as much of the Camino as I can.
* I have to be careful that I don't "make this a project" (I'm a project manager by trade) - My intention for this trip to be able to stop and rest when I'd like for the length of time I need/want, and a bonus would be to get into villages soon enough that I'm not stressing about sleeping locations each evening and have a little energy to walk about and take pictures, etc.
* I'm a bit heat sensitive, and in no shade/no breeze heat (straight sun above 27C/80F) I sometimes shorten my time walking, or take a decent break in between.

Thanks so much - light and love,
Melissa

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Start in Leon. It 'll give a few days of "acclimatizing" before the most beautiful stretches to O'Cebreiro. And thereafter, of course;)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hmmm. Tough call. First I thought "oh, 18 days is plenty to walk from Sahagun." Then I thought "No, day 2 or 3 would be filled with walking into a major city (Leon) and that's too soon." So I wrote up that recommendation. Then I deleted it because there is no right answer. Then I decided that I would answer anyway because you are a new forum member, looking for some feedback. :) So, welcome to the forum!

There is no clear answer!!! It depends SO much on whether you encounter bad blisters or tendonitis, and whether your jet lag is a factor, etc.

Here is another idea. I assume you would travel from Madrid to Leon on the Friday. On Saturday, take a bus back to Mansilla to see the Museo Etnografico and learn a bit about the traditional life in the areas you will be walking through. (It's an excellent museum, with most displays annotated in English.) Return to Leon by bus that same day. Wander around the city, nap, see the cathedral, watch the pilgrims. Then start walking on Sunday. Be sure to go through Mazarife, avoiding the soul-less roadside route through Villadangos. You will have plenty of time to get to Santiago, so you can take your time, stop wherever you fancy, go to Samos. If all goes extremely well and you arrive in Santiago with a few days to spare, you can go to Finistera either walking, by bus, or a combination thereof.

In any case, in training, try to get a 20-km walk and preferably two days in a row, just to give your feet, shoes and socks a good trial.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would also start in Leon and planing in a day to do some sightseeing in this city before setting out. Plus what @C clearly suggested ;-) Buen Camino, SY

In my opinion the halfway point of the Camino Frances from St. Jean is a bit east of Sahagun. I have two ways of calculating this and they have been presented at this thread:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/mid-way-point-on-cf.38633/

Also, A halfway CF certificate can be gotten at Sahagun and there is a gateway a few kilometers to the east of town presenting itself as the halfway point.

So, if you want to be nerdy and say you walked from the halfway point, Sahagun is your start point.

But otherwise I would recommend Leon as your start point. That gives you more time to reach your goal in case you need to recover from an injury (Peg had two incidences mid-camino that required 8 days off.) And, although I enjoyed the meseta much more than I expected, I wasn't thrilled with the scenery between Sahagun and Leon.

Like @C clearly I also recommend going through Mazarife on your way from Leon to Astorga. There were fields of wildflowers along this way.

In Leon there is the gothic cathedral of course but during the camino I found a great appreciation for the romanesque period. The camino in Leon passes the Basilica of San Isidoro and attached to that is a museum that conatains books and other objects of that period but there were two things that absolutely fascinated me, the Royal Pantheon and the chalice of Dona Urraca, one of the Holy Grails that Europe is so full of. The Royal Pantheon is sometimes called the "Sistine Chapel of Romanesque art" and a recent book documented the chalice (and did such a job that it might be off display for awhile.)

Last edited:
I like the idea that @C clearly came up with, because it will give you more flexibility--either 'in case' something happens, or 'just because.' And even if it turns out that you don't need the flexibility, having a few extra days in Santiago is a wonderful thing!
Welcome and buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
OK - I love this plan! I'm booked into Leon then, and will start my first day of walking on Sunday. I had forgotten that if I end up towards Santiago sooner than I anticipated, I could just keep on walking to Finistera, which would be amazing. I think I'll stay in a hotel that first Friday night, run around Leon and/or Mansilla on Saturday, and then find one of the albergues for Saturday night so I can get up with the other pilgrims that morning. And a Leon start will definitely enable a less Type-A approach to this, which is what my heart needs at this moment (whether my brain agrees is a different story :)) Sincere appreciation for the advice!

Cheers and love,
Melissa

I think I'll stay in a hotel that first Friday night, run around Leon and/or Mansilla on Saturday, and then find one of the albergues for Saturday night so I can get up with the other pilgrims that morning.
Since we were staying in Leon for a day of sight-seeing Peg and I decided to upgrade from albergues to a hotel. The Benedictine nuns who run the alberque Santa Maria de Carbajal also run Hospedería Monástica Pax in the same (or adjoining building.) Very pleasant and in a good location. And joining up with fellow pilgrims in the morning will be easy.
http://www.hospederiapax.com/EN/home.html

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back