• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 19 Apr 15 -- Loving The Mountain Routes

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
19 April 2015 - Cacabelos to La Portela de Valcarce -- 21.7 Kms

After a great night and a solid sleep -- began today's hike pretty fresh -- not too many folks on the route today -- so pretty quiet --

Pushed into Villiafranco -- really neat place -- some stores were open (on a Sunday) so grabbed a couple of oranges and a small loaf of bread -- sat in the center park and had a nice little snack before continuing with the hike.

In Villafranco you have two options - road or mountains -- I wanted to go mountains -- but missed the turn and before I knew it was a km down the road -- stopped -- pulled out the map -- thought about it -- and turned around to go back to the city and get on the right route -- that was a tough decision since it probably added 2 kms to my day that will not count for anything -- but really wanted to take the Mountain route.

Be Careful what you ask for -- man -- that was a steep climb! Once you get to the top of the Mountain -- not so bad -- it was really very nice and did not see anyone -- just me, the mountain, some fresh bread, and my Zombie book -- All so good -- UNTIL -- I had to go down the Mountain -- ugh -- Knees and Toes -- took me awhile to get off the mountain.

Once I got back down to where only mortals hang out -- pace began to pick up a bit -- finally made it to a place to crash - Spanish truck stop (Valcarce Hotel) -- 22 euros, bed, clean sheets (I think), hot water, good internet and a place to wash my funky clothes -- all around a good deal.

Tomorrow will have to make up some time lost on the Mountain -- but it was worth it.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

After a great night and a solid sleep -- began today's hike pretty fresh -- not too many folks on the route today -- so pretty quiet --

Pushed into Villiafranco -- really neat place -- some stores were open (on a Sunday) so grabbed a couple of oranges and a small loaf of bread -- sat in the center park and had a nice little snack before continuing with the hike.

In Villafranco you have two options - road or mountains -- I wanted to go mountains -- but missed the turn and before I knew it was a km down the road -- stopped -- pulled out the map -- thought about it -- and turned around to go back to the city and get on the right route -- that was a tough decision since it probably added 2 kms to my day that will not count for anything -- but really wanted to take the Mountain route.

Be Careful what you ask for -- man -- that was a steep climb! Once you get to the top of the Mountain -- not so bad -- it was really very nice and did not see anyone -- just me, the mountain, some fresh bread, and my Zombie book -- All so good -- UNTIL -- I had to go down the Mountain -- ugh -- Knees and Toes -- took me awhile to get off the mountain.

Once I got back down to where only mortals hang out -- pace began to pick up a bit -- finally made it to a place to crash - Spanish truck stop (Valcarce Hotel) -- 22 euros, bed, clean sheets (I think), hot water, good internet and a place to wash my funky clothes -- all around a good deal.

Tomorrow will have to make up some time lost on the Mountain -- but it was worth it.

Buen Camino
Sounds like Camino Dragonte, reputedly one of the most difficult options. ..Congrats on your mountain sojourn

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Sounds like Camino Dragonte, reputedly one of the most difficult options. ..Congrats on your mountain sojourn
I was thinking so too, but the Dragonte route has three peaks I believe, and @Grogan mentions just the one peak. I wonder if it was the Alto Pradela that he hiked - on the other side of the valley. Either way, to walk an extra 2 kms to add some serious altitude in one's day takes some commitment. I second the congrats, @Grogan. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would think it was the Alto Pradela too. I really enjoyed that day being up so high and except for a couple I knew who caught up to me, all alone. Loved the chestnut trees. I amused myself my kicking the spiny things for quite a distance!

I would think it was the Alto Pradela too. I really enjoyed that day being up so high and except for a couple I knew who caught up to me, all alone. Loved the chestnut trees. I amused myself my kicking the spiny things for quite a distance!
Sounds like you had a wonderful walk also, @cherrys. I had an injury lurking that day and shared a taxi to Laguna de Castilla with another injured pilgrim, so I missed that section. But will bear it in mind for next time. I take it that, unlike the Dragonte, there are no problems with the way marking.

Buen Camino
Thank you for your update:) Continu with your buen Camino, and reports the are Great!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I love Alto Pradela and yes -- it was a steep uphill, but worth it for the views. And all those chestnut trees. Anyone know if it was a commercial patch where the chestnuts were gathered and sold?

Buen Camino

I've walked both the road route and Pradela. There's no comparison. The views, the beauty, the chestnut trees.....amazing and totally worth the uphill (and down) slog. If you think have it in you, you should try it!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back