• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Camino - next year MAR/APR Furoshiki Boots?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Un, and a big welcome to the forum....

There have been a few threads dedicated to the topic of Camino footwear that I am sure the search engine will help you with in your research. Here is one thread from yesterday and today:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lecting-boots-for-our-walk.56181/#post-631061

I would gently suggest to give some consideration to: 1. The need and advisability for three pairs of footwear. Just those overboots add an extra 1.75 pounds to your pack. 2. The best strategy for dealing with wet footgear.

Part of what you will need to do is wait... next spring may be a whole different weather climate than this year ie warmer, drier, and less mud. It is only then that a concrete decision will be made as to appropriate footwear, or even clothing and sleeping gear. :) So, as you plan, decide on your inventory for cold-wet conditions, warm-wet conditions, and drier-warmer/colder conditions. This will also change the weight of your pack as well, so do not make concrete decisions until near your time of departure.

I don't know if you're from an area that gets much wintery weather, but from my Minnesota perspective, I wouldn't wear these in winter. They look more like sneakers than boots. The product description calls them a sole that wraps. That seems more fitting than calling them boots. The sole does not look good for ice or snow...the gaps are too narrow and the tread too shallow. Besides, three pairs of footwear is an awful lot of weight. I'd try to keep it to two pairs of footwear.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To me those boots look like an outdoor winter slipper. I might use them to slip on to go pickup the newspaper or mail right after a snowstorm before shoveling myself out.

By the way, no offense intended, but I call my Pacs, the heavy insulated rubber and leather boots, Candian slippers.

No, I would advise against those boots. They would be bulky to carry and hard to walk in.

March-April is spring time. You need to be prepared for a range of weather - with several thin layers, and you should have rain gear and a sleeping bag. However, if the weather is terrible, you might take a rest day or just walk 10 km until your feet are wet and then stop for the day.

I would also advise against those boots - too bulky, probably unnecessary.
Usually one pair of walking shoes (be it boots or sneakers) and one pair of sandals is more than enough for the camino. Just see what you feel comfortable walking with.

Weather is hard to predict. When I did the camino in April 2015 it was so ridiculously hot that my husband has a heatstroke. We had 25C-28C days all the time. The following year, some people got snow on the camino at the same time.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
we walked last March/April and just had Moab trail runners plus sandles for evening. We encountered several days of snow and rain. We were fine. Added merino socks meant we never had wet feet not even a tiny bit. I wouldnt bother with the bulk or weight.

No, I wouldn't wear those while walking the Camino.

I walked the camino March 23, 2015 - April 23, 2015 with waterproof merrell moabs and also brought along a lighter pair of non waterproof hiking shoes and sandals. The xtra pair of light hiking shoes were not necessary. Just my merrells and sandals were good enough. The first few weeks encountered some snow in the pyrnees, mud, wet trails but for the most part weather was ideal for walking. The waterproof moab's along with some good smartwool socks and my feet were totally dry. Buen Camino!
Picture is from day 1 - SJPP to Roncesvalles...

Attachments

• IMG_1880.JPG
    IMG_1880.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks I appreciate all replies. My personal rant is my feet suck! Boy would I love to be able to fit into Merrell Moabs but, not happening for me.

I am having the hardest time finding hiking/walking shoes that will work for me (without have to spend over $150 for them). This issue is I have very wide feet - too wide for regular wide - I am Women's size 8.5 2E to 9 4E depending on brand. Can't find...

So then I went looking for men's shoes since they should be wider, but apparently finding a 7 2E in Mens is also difficult.

So I am too wide for women's shoes, and too small (length wise for Men's).

Feet are so important - I know- imagine the hassle when you can't find a good fit at a good price. I may just have to pay the high cost since its all I can find. (end rant!)

Thanks I appreciate all replies. My personal rant is my feet suck! Boy would I love to be able to fit into Merrell Moabs but, not happening for me.

I am having the hardest time finding hiking/walking shoes that will work for me (without have to spend over $150 for them). This issue is I have very wide feet - too wide for regular wide - I am Women's size 8.5 2E to 9 4E depending on brand. Can't find...

So then I went looking for men's shoes since they should be wider, but apparently finding a 7 2E in Mens is also difficult.

So I am too wide for women's shoes, and too small (length wise for Men's).

Feet are so important - I know- imagine the hassle when you can't find a good fit at a good price. I may just have to pay the high cost since its all I can find. (end rant!)

https://www.newbalance.com/pd/1400/...r=Dark Brown#color=Dark Brown&size=9&width=2E

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I may just have to pay the high cost since its all I can find.
Shoes are not the place you should try to save money. Many of us have fussy feet and we hunt far and wide to find the right pair for our feet. They may well cost $150 but at that price you should have a decent selection. Remember, you don't need or want heavy hiking boots; maybe not even boots at all. Many people recommend against waterproof ones, although they could be OK for March-April. However, it is more important to get something that fits and is comfortable. Every other consideration is secondary.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.