• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st ever Camino, 4x1wk and how much tech?

bouncingkiwi

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing the CdN, starting in April 2015.
As I'm in employment i cannot manage to take anywhere enough time to contemplate doing it in a single campaign.
My initial target is to start around Easter, i.e. starting the week before or the weekend of. (thoughts, if any?)

My current approach will be to do it in 4 x 1 week journeys over 2 years, one week in April(ish) and one in September, as i want to avoid the possibility of any overcrowding.

Ill leave all the repetitive questions etc to one side as I have already had many of them answered in other threads.

The two main questions/items i have is;

I would prefer to do this in one go but, as mentioned above, that isn't going to happen.

What are peoples thoughts on doing it in chunks, as opposed to continuous?
I'm thinking that it wont be as authentic as i guess a lot of the challenge that peopl face is the relentless nature of walking weeks and weeks on end, also your body takes time to adjust so i suspect i will be at that stage just as its time to head back

One interesting item that i have been thinking about is the use of tech during ones camino.
Having access to mobile internet etc would be practical but, again, i wonder if this takes away from the whole essence of the journey.
What are peoples experiences here with regard to how much to take?

Any other advice on this would be well received.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,

As I'm in employment i cannot manage to take anywhere enough time to contemplate doing it in a single campaign.
My initial target is to start around Easter, i.e. starting the week before or the weekend of. (thoughts, if any?)

My current approach will be to do it in 4 x 1 week journeys over 2 years, one week in April(ish) and one in September, as i want to avoid the possibility of any overcrowding.

Ill leave all the repetitive questions etc to one side as I have already had many of them answered in other threads.

I would prefer to do this in one go but, as mentioned above, that isn't going to happen.

I'm thinking that it wont be as authentic as i guess a lot of the challenge that peopl face is the relentless nature of walking weeks and weeks on end, also your body takes time to adjust so i suspect i will be at that stage just as its time to head back

One interesting item that i have been thinking about is the use of tech during ones camino.
Having access to mobile internet etc would be practical but, again, i wonder if this takes away from the whole essence of the journey.

Hi Bouncing Kiwi!
I walked SJPP to SDC in one shot (with some bus rides due to tendonitis). However I walked part of the way with a gal that was doing it in 3 sections. She seemed to have a great time but only felt bad when her time to leave was coming up and wished she could continue on. Other than that I did not perceive any difference between her camino and mine.
The other question about tech stuff - I am not a tech lover and I was walking with techies and non-techies. Here is MY take on the situations that arose: after walking we would look for food/beverages and my tech friends would want wifi. The wifi was good, bad, slow, nonexistent. They had to get codes to allow access many times. They were obsessed with catching up with on-line friends or Facebook. There was no conversation at the table as they focused on their devise. Then they complained about the service or asked each other questions about how did you get on, where are the electric plugs, don't forget your device...
When with non-tech people conversation flowed.
Need I say more?
Stefania

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
my tech friends would want wifi. The wifi was good, bad, slow, nonexistent. They had to get codes to allow access many times. They were obsessed with catching up with on-line friends or Facebook.
All of them? I have observed a few obsessed internet users, but the vast majority of those looking for WiFi were much more restrained. Not all of their people-avoidance should be attributed to technology. In some cases they may have had enough contact with some fellow pilgrims to get them through the afternoon, especially the bores and judgmental types!:)

Won't the airfare be quite high? Whatever plan you choose, you will enjoy it. You do have to walk within the constraints of your greater life.

Although I am a native kiwi, I actually reside in the UK.
So it is actually the opposite, in the sense that I'm able to fly to Bilbao/Biarritz for about £50!
The convenience of this is a contributing factor for me to break it down into more 'work sympathetic' tranches.

Hi Bouncing Kiwi!
I walked SJPP to SDC in one shot (with some bus rides due to tendonitis). However I walked part of the way with a gal that was doing it in 3 sections. She seemed to have a great time but only felt bad when her time to leave was coming up and wished she could continue on. Other than that I did not perceive any difference between her camino and mine.
The other question about tech stuff - I am not a tech lover and I was walking with techies and non-techies. Here is MY take on the situations that arose: after walking we would look for food/beverages and my tech friends would want wifi. The wifi was good, bad, slow, nonexistent. They had to get codes to allow access many times. They were obsessed with catching up with on-line friends or Facebook. There was no conversation at the table as they focused on their devise. Then they complained about the service or asked each other questions about how did you get on, where are the electric plugs, don't forget your device...
When with non-tech people conversation flowed.
Need I say more?
Stefania

Cheers Stefania,

Your info largely confirmed what i was thinking...

I do imagine 'ending' the Camino 3-4 times might become a bit emotional and i am worried that you would start thinking about the exit after only (re)starting 4-5 days previous.

With regard to the tech stuff, i guess its all things in moderation.
I can picture what you describe, 4 pilgrims sitting around a rural Spanish cafe looking down at their phones! (not one for the guidebook/slideshow)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Bouncer

On the del Norte 2 years ago I met 2 Scottish sisters who were on their 5th year of walking. They had started at Irun, and they were finally going to finish ther camino in the year that I spoke to them. They could only afford 8-9 days away each year and travelling took up some of that time, so 7 days of walking was about all they could fit in. One of them had even gotten married and had a baby since they started! But this was the year they were going to finish and they were so thrilled anticipating the final walk into Santiago, where their parents [and husband and 3 month old baby] were to be waiting to greet them. Go for it!!!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Quite common on the Le Puy route to find French doing the whole Way a week or so at a time during annual holidays. Some plan to finish many years in the future. I myself did Le Puy-Pamplona, then came back to the exact same hotel in Pamplona the next winter and just walked on. If you find you are not fit, just do less.

As for being "authentic", I've heard that Charlemagne rode a horse and ducked a few stages. Claimed he was too busy conquering Europe or whatever. (Full of excuses that guy.)

Hi BouncingKiwi

From your post I think you've identified the main downside already. A week isn't a long time if you want a deeply reflective Camino.

However, there are a number of positives too. You'll meet different people each time, and each time will be long enough to form some strong friendships. You'll see the difference in the seasons. You'll always have a Camino to look forward to for 2 years!

You could even turn it to your advantage, and if you just want to get away from it all for a week do a section in the winter when air fares are low and the route will be very quiet. A 'Camino for all seasons'. :)

I wouldn't worry about starting around Easter. I suspect that nearer Santiago there are a lot of pilgrims timing a short Camino specifically for Holy Week, but at the start of the routes it's just that the Easter holidays mark the start of the walking season. Either way, I arrived on Easter Sunday on my last Camino Frances (this was just coincidence) and it wasn't ridiculously busy on the approach to Santiago.

Tech is a personal choice. I try not to use it while walking and just 'check in' every now and then in the evening in case of emergencies at home etc. Texts can also be handy if you and your Camino family want to walk alone during the day but catch up in the evening.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi BouncingKiwi

From your post I think you've identified the main downside already. A week isn't a long time if you want a deeply reflective Camino.

However, there are a number of positives too. You'll meet different people each time, and each time will be long enough to form some strong friendships. You'll see the difference in the seasons. You'll always have a Camino to look forward to for 2 years!

You could even turn it to your advantage, and if you just want to get away from it all for a week do a section in the winter when air fares are low and the route will be very quiet. A 'Camino for all seasons'. :)

I wouldn't worry about starting around Easter. I suspect that nearer Santiago there are a lot of pilgrims timing a short Camino specifically for Holy Week, but at the start of the routes it's just that the Easter holidays mark the start of the walking season. Either way, I arrived on Easter Sunday on my last Camino Frances (this was just coincidence) and it wasn't ridiculously busy on the approach to Santiago.

Tech is a personal choice. I try not to use it while walking and just 'check in' every now and then in the evening in case of emergencies at home etc. Texts can also be handy if you and your Camino family want to walk alone during the day but catch up in the evening.

Good luck and Buen Camino!

Unfortunately it will only be a week at a time but you do have a good point about how breaking it up means you can see it in different seasons.
That didnt occur to me as i was looking at this in a practical context.
In saying that, I must admit that im not overly keen on doing it in or near winter, i prefer hot to cold so will be looking to stick with the April/September windows.

As per the previous post about the Scotish sisters doing it over a number of years, it would really build the anticipation once the finish was in sight.

With this much lead time, air fares are easy to secure affordably. Currently it will cost me about £100 for a return flight for the Easter week.

I think i will be disciplined with regard to tech and save it for the start/end of the day, which seems to be most appropriate.

All of them? I have observed a few obsessed internet users, but the vast majority of those looking for WiFi were much more restrained. Not all of their people-avoidance should be attributed to technology. In some cases they may have had enough contact with some fellow pilgrims to get them through the afternoon, especially the bores and judgmental types!:)
No, not all of them (if I said that I misspoke). Many people must have had them but I was probably unaware. No, the folks that were really into them seemed to be keeping people up to date on their progress and peoples responses to their progress. Obviously, I hit a nerve. Sorry for that.
Stefania

Plan is progressing.....

I have secured my annual leave, just need to sort flights but the window that I'm working with is as follows;

Week 1: Irun -> Bilbao (5th - 12th April 2015, 6-7 days walking)
Week 2: Bilbao -> Santander (30th Aug - 6th Sept 2015, 5-6 days walking)

So perhaps, after 3 years, I will have knocked this off!

Another advantage that I think i have by being restricted to 1 week tranches is that I, assume that I, wont have to take as much kit??

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yours seems a good plan.
As for “authenticity”, this is a personal thing. The only objective rules are those established in your credential and required by albergues -I consider them a kind of moral contract.
Many people do the Camino in sections –I even met a group from Calahorra, in Spain, that was doing it by weekends -mostly chatty and funny middle age ladies, and old people with grandchildren.
The only downside of a few days Camino is about lack of “immersion”. After my first pilgrimage, I have only managed to come back for some 7-10 days periods, because of my job. The first days I remain quite attached to my every day issues, checking my e-mail and the news frequently. After some time, I realize that the world can go on without my constant supervision, and I start to look only for very basic things - interesting people to talk with, acceptable lodging, good food, staying healthy. Sadly, after some days of enjoying more thoroughly my Camino, I have to quit, and say goodbye to people that began to feel dear to me. So, at the end, every time I feel satisfied because my plans worked more or less well, but I also have a hint of sadness for not being able to walk further. It is a bittersweet moment. On the other side, after some weeks, I can start to plan my next... :)
I believe I have already answered your query about tech; but it is up to you. My personal rule is that I carry only one additional, not essential thing -but only one.
As regards the equipment, it is basically the same for a week or a month. The only advantage of a relatively short walk is that you can more or less anticipate the weather. In a month long walk, you can start in a rather cold and rainy spring, and finish it in a hot summer, carrying some cumbersome and now useless heavy stuff.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
I just thought i would bump this post as I have an update.....

I have now decided to do this in 2 week chunks, instead of in single weeks. (dunno if i can update the subject)
This is mainly so that i can get into the Camino experience by spending more time on it in each period.

As a result of this i have deferred my start date to the last weekend in August (29th), this is confirmed as my flights are booked!

I will walk to Santander from Irun and fly back (Sept 13) from there.

I will check in on the forum closer to the time to see who else is on a similar itinerary, really looking forward to it.

This is how we did the Frances. The first year we didn't make a lot of close camino friends, mostly because we were leaving late and walking very slowly (with our then 11-year-old), so we didn't stay with the same people very often. The 2nd year, when we left our camino family at Sahagun to head back to Madrid, we were very, very sad. Still, it was worth it.

€149,-
Another advantage that I think i have by being restricted to 1 week tranches is that I, assume that I, wont have to take as much kit??

Whether you are walking for 3 days or for 3 weeks you more or less need the same amount of kit.

[/
We were lucky that we did our Camino in one go, but we meet lots of pilgrims who were doing it in chunks. As for technology, we only took a basic mobile phone to send a text home, every 2 days to tell them our location and we took a guide book with maps. Have a great adventure ☺

Buen Camino, bouncingkiwi...!
You won't regret taking this chance, with the Camino being so close. Once you return from your OE it'll be faaaaar away. Hope you don't catch the Camino bug, because from the Pacific it's an expensive and very long journey!;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thought i would BUMP this as it all starts this Saturday (29th Aug!) !

Get to San Seb, Friday night.

Sat: train to Irun and walk to San Seb
Sun: Chilling in San Seb for theday/night.
Mon: On to Zarautz and beyond....

Only got 2 weeks so will be aiming to get to Santander on this adventure.

Looking to pick it back up around Easter and continue on.

Cant wait!!!

Oh, my gosh I am so happy for you that it is finally here and you have two weeks! Buen Camino!

I walked from Irun to Santander starting early September last year - you should expect that the beach resorts along the coast will be pretty crowded so be prepared to look for a place to stay by say 4pm - it can be exceptionally warm (28C-34C) so make sure that you carry at least 2L of liquid - and be aware that lots of shops close on Sundays - as well as the occasional local fiesta

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Irun to Santander starting early September last year - you should expect that the beach resorts along the coast will be pretty crowded so be prepared to look for a place to stay by say 4pm - it can be exceptionally warm (28C-34C) so make sure that you carry at least 2L of liquid - and be aware that lots of shops close on Sundays - as well as the occasional local fiesta

Holy BeJesus you weren't wrong!

Temp went north of 35C and there was little relief from the sea breeze. I must have sunk 5+ litres of water yesterday, easily.
Also took the GR branch along the coast which includes a rock scramble. Hard work but the reward was some amazing views down the harbour to PdSJ, where I stopped for an hour or so.
Got the boat and going up the lighthouse steps was easy compared to the previous, with a relatively str8 4ward walk into San Seb, where I'm chilling out today as I love this place having been here a few times previous.
Monday is onto Zarautz and perhaps push to Getaria, will see how things feel.

My photo of the day attached, I think!

Hi all,

I actually met several people who were doing the Camino in chunks. One family was doing a week every year, others would be two weeks at a time etc. I think you will still have a wonderful experience, and absolutely do what you can despite your employment! Don't let your job stop you from doing things like this, a one week experience will still be greater than none :)

As far as tech... I didn't bring my phone at all for that reason of wanting to disconnect w/ facebook garbage and reconnect with myself and nature. however my other companions did bring there phone, mostly useless as wi-fi was rare, however they enjoyed being able to call home when wi-fi was available. and my boyfriends phone came in handy as he had free data, and we needed the GPS a few times. No one brought ipods or anything like that, conversation and your own thoughts do just fine.

Hi All,

Just thought i would BUMP this as its 2yrs old but is worthy of an update as i have, slowly, been executing my plan as follows....

Year 1 (Sept 2015)
Irun to Santander (2 weeks)

This was my first ever Camino and all i can say is that, doing the Camino is one of the best experiences of all.
I wont list all the cliches but basically everything i read about the Camino experience, good and bad, seemed to be demonstrated at one time or another.
As usual the people and landscapes were amazing.
I found the experience quite laid back and was lucky with perfect weather.

Year 2 (July 2016)
Santander to Gijon (1 week)

Due to work commitments i could only get over for a week this time.
It was still worth it though, the main problem with this is that you don't really get going fully before you have to stop.
So i managed to get a bit of rhythm after a few days, as well as meet some great folk, and then im starting to think of the logistics of getting back home.
Its not ideal but i still feel very fortunate to be on the Camino at all as it is such a special experience.

Year 3 (June 2017)
Gijon to Ribadeo (1 week)

This is the plan for this year, again i only have a week off to progress so i suspect that it will be similar to the 'Year 2' experience but i am still very much looking forward to it.

So, after this year, that leaves me with ~2 weeks left to walk to make it to SdC.
I will be targeting the summer of 2018 to finish this once and for all!

Closer to the time i will BUMP this in case there are any others 'on the trail' at the time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That's so great @bouncingkiwi . But you won't be finishing it once and for all I bet you. You'll be scoping out another route! My mom jokes that I always seem to have 'unfinished business' in the Iberian Peninsula and I am fine with that! Indeed I have a bit of business this Easter involving a certain path in Extremadura....

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you are able to walk again this year even if it is only for a week.

Buen Camino!

@notion900 , lol that is so true!
I have already caught myself looking at other Camino routes to do (currently favouring the Portuguese from Porto as i could do it in one go), even though im only 60% of the way through the Norte and still have at least another year to go until thats over!

I guess, at my current rate of progress, ill have options available to me until im for many many years to come!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well folks,

I knocked another chunk off!
This was June 2017, I walked from Gijon to Navia, where I ended and bused back to Aviles for the solstice weekend. Great weather and some really cool costal spots (Cudillero, San Estiban and it's coastal track and beaches, hills and Forrest toward Cadavedo)

Main point is, I'm booked to finish this in August and can't wait!!

Navia to SdC in 13 days, starting Monday 20th August

A big part of me wants it over with as it's been 'dragging on' for 4yrs now, but also I really like thinking about being on the trail again.

I guess we will see.....

Thought I'd bump this as I'm preparing to head back to finish this, after 4 years! (Details earlier in post)

All starts Monday week (20th aug, Navia)

Curious to know what the crowds are like on the Galacian leg and I have a suspicion that this will be the busiest that I have seen it.

Been keeping an eye on the weather and it doesn't look as ridiculously hot as the rest of Europe, but I realise it can be quite changeable on the coast.

Just been reading this thread for the first time and preparing to write a reply before realising I was 3 years too late. Would be very interesting to hear once you fininsh how you found your truncated Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back