• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st few days from St Jean

pilgrimglenn7

Time of past OR future Camino
st james way and portugese
Hey All

I am planning a mountain bike trip from St Jean and wondering with this first day I am reasonably fit but wondering how hard is the first day? and which route shall I take?

Should I go on Napoleans way?

or Varicales? way

Which is more scenic?

Also on way to Pamplona what is the trails like please?

Is 40 kilometers 25 miles a day good enough or should I aim for 30-35 kilometers? 15-18 miles a day for for my whole journey from St Jean to Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia and back to Santiago?

I plan to rest on Friday afternoons until i start again after lunch on Sundays and taking in wet weather days :)

Thanks all Muchas Gracias mi amigas and mi amigos

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first part on either route is road. The final part into Roncesvalles is rocky and slippery in the rain, so you probably would want to cut over to the Valcarlos route toward the end. The Valcarlos route can be done entirely on the pavement. On a bicycle, you will have to look back for the views on either! In the fog there is no view on either. From Roncesvalles you can travel to Pamplona on lightly traveled roads, which will be more pleasant on most stretches than the foot path. The descent into Zubiri is very rocky, so you probably would prefer the road anyway. Walkers will be very happy to have you stay on the road!! Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I Willl start biking from SJPD on 9.may with Ebike. I have a list of bike friendly albergs is there somebody who have experience with charging batery in such alberg. Do i need afdition 220v...
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back