• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st March 17... arriving in Bordeaux, then Bayonne...

superleggera

Time of past OR future Camino
CF [StJean-F'rre] (March 2017)
Hi folks,

I've picked a few brains on here- thanks for the advice so far, flight and train now booked and paid for.

I'm travelling solo and if there are other solo 'peregrinos' wanting to hook up until we reach Bayonne I will be arriving...

...at
BORDEAUX airport at around lunchtime on 1st March...

...then I'll head into the town, grab a late lunch then catch the...

...15:51 TGV to BAYONNE arriving around 17:30.

I'm not planning to go on to SJDPP that evening, my very long day will end in Bayonne.

BC :)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The timetable I just looked at has the final train to St Jean leaving at 18:06 that day. I've usually found the TGV service to be fairly punctual but not 100% so. Doesn't give you a lot of time to hang around in the bar before departure. Although Bayonne is an interesting town I'm not sure that spending a fairly short dark winter/spring night there with an early morning train would be all that entertaining. My inclination would be to make Plan A catching the last train to St Jean but being prepared for a night in Bayonne if SNCF can't stick to the timetable.

The timetable I just looked at has the final train to St Jean leaving at 18:06 that day. I've usually found the TGV service to be fairly punctual but not 100% so. Doesn't give you a lot of time to hang around in the bar before departure. Although Bayonne is an interesting town I'm not sure that spending a fairly short dark winter/spring night there with an early morning train would be all that entertaining. My inclination would be to make Plan A catching the last train to St Jean but being prepared for a night in Bayonne if SNCF can't stick to the timetable.

Cheers, duly noted and amended :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My understanding is the SJPdP train waits for the train from Paris/Bordeaux.

This is an assumption based on my experience ... there were labor strikes interfering with airports and trains the day of my travel. The train from Bayonne to SJPdP did wait for the train from Paris (via Bordeaux).

OK, thanks. I'm arriving by aeroplane and I have around 3.5 hours between landing and catching the TGV to Bayonne so that connection shouldn't be a problem. To be fair, French & Spanish ATC tend to strike most when they are likely to have the greatest effect and so maybe if nearer Easter it might be something to worry about....(famous last words/Murphy's law etc).

I've seen some info about starting the Camino from Bayonne, walking along the river Nive etc for a few days and I'm tempted to do that arriving in SJPP the following Sat/Sun, it's quite flat too so a nice introduction/warm up but the lack of accomodation on that part concerns me. I've seen in other threads that if you are able to, avoiding the weekend crowds/starts in SJPP is a good idea too. I'll wait and see if there are other people planning to do, or interested in doing, the Bayonne-SJPP part before making a final decision and booking my bed in SJPP.

Last edited:
OK, thanks. I'm arriving by aeroplane and I have around 3.5 hours between landing and catching the TGV to Bayonne so that connection shouldn't be a problem. To be fair, French & Spanish ATC tend to strike most when they are likely to have the greatest effect and so maybe if nearer Easter it might be something to worry about....(famous last words/Murphy's law etc).

I've seen some info about starting the Camino from Bayonne, walking along the river Nive etc for a few days and I'm tempted to do that arriving in SJPP the following Sat/Sun, it's quite flat too so a nice introduction/warm up but the lack of accomodation on that part concerns me. I've seen in other threads that if you are able to, avoiding the weekend crowds/starts in SJPP is a good idea too. I'll wait if there are other people planning to do or interested in doing the Bayonne-SJPP part before making a final decision and booking my bed in SJPP.
Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2017! It appears you are fond of making a plan, looking/accepting options and then committing to its completion. That said, Murphy's Law #2..."When everything is going as planned; you've missed something!" In addition, ensure you check the weather before starting out. March can be problematical weather wise.
Buen Camino,
Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I've seen some info about starting the Camino from Bayonne, walking along the river Nive etc for a few days and I'm tempted to do that arriving in SJPP the following Sat/Sun, it's quite flat too so a nice introduction/warm up but the lack of accomodation on that part concerns me. I've seen in other threads that if you are able to, avoiding the weekend crowds/starts in SJPP is a good idea too. I'll wait if there are other people planning to do or interested in doing the Bayonne-SJPP part before making a final decision and booking my bed in SJPP.

Starting in the first week of March I think you can be pretty sure that there will not be any big crowd problem in St Jean. Wouldn't worry about that part.

I walked from Bayonne to St Jean Pied de Port using the river towpath and minor roads a couple of years ago. I had to do it in two separate stages because a fall on my second day left me with a slipped spinal disc. If you are prepared to use hotels there should be no great problem - a number of small towns and villages along the route. Alternatively you could book a room for a couple of nights in Bayonne, walk a section of the route and then return by train to overnight. Train again the next morning to wherever you left off .... Your most obvious route would run parallel and reasonably close to the railway line. While the initial stage to Cambo-les-Bains is flat - it's a river towpath:) - from there on it goes up and down quite a lot. Fairly gentle slopes though.

Due to the fact that until May, the selection of return flights is more limited and more expensive so I found myself with 5-7 day less to complete the Camino that I originally planned:(

I managed to find a cheap one from Porto to my local airport, so factoring in a day/night in Porto I've got around 37 days available to walk.

There are certain parts of the Camino that I definitely don't want to miss, particularly the first stage and the walk from SdC to Muxia to Finisterre so I think I'm going to have to take a rain check on the Voie de la Nive until the next Camino.

I don't want to make the mistake of rushing the first couple of weeks of walking and risk giving myself a whole load of problems. I'm 43 years old and just beginning to realise (the hard way) that I'm starting to 'write cheques that my body can't cash'...don't remember which film that is from either, they say the memory is the first thing to go eh? :)

BC! :)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back