• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st stage out of Porto

Wandalina

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese in September '18
Primitivo in September '19
Hi everyone I'm starting from Porto on Wednesday I'm just wondering does anyone have any feed back on the Porto to villarhino stage. Is it really built up and industrial? I've read the cobblestones and concrete make it tough ...Also read that it's nicer to take the coastal route out of Porto but does this join up with the central within the first day?

Apart from this I'm ready. Pack is 7kg...So I'm working at shaving a bit of that off and have decided to take sleeping bag and no liner.

Exciting times

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the first bit also (inland route) Yes the beginning is through town and industrial bits, but thet is where the camino is so I walked it. I did find that people were exceptionally kind and gave me small gifts and things to bring to Santiago on this first bit, maybe because most take the bus so I was sort of a rarity :D

I walked the all the way to Santiago with a displaced ankle so all stages were hellish painwise, I do not remember this as being more than the rest. Took me a few days to meet the first people though but I think now there is more traffic...

Hi everyone I'm starting from Porto on Wednesday I'm just wondering does anyone have any feed back on the Porto to villarhino stage. Is it really built up and industrial? I've read the cobblestones and concrete make it tough ...Also read that it's nicer to take the coastal route out of Porto but does this join up with the central within the first day?

Apart from this I'm ready. Pack is 7kg...So I'm working at shaving a bit of that off and have decided to take sleeping bag and no liner.

Exciting times
From the airport we took the train to povoa de varzim. When we returned we stayed at a hotel near the airport so we decided to walk some to see what we missed. Taking the train was the right decision for us.

The long walk out of Porto is tiresome walking, especially once you are out of the historical district and the buildings around you become less interesting. That said, it is nothing overly onerous – just less than ideal. For most people who are starting their Camino in Porto, high spirits that go with the first day of their walk generally overcomes any negatives associated with the long roadside walk out of the city.

Personally, I much prefer following the river out of the city and then going up the coast, switching back to the Central from Vila do Conde (joining at Rates). Note, though, that the road from Vila do Conde to Rates is often fast-moving and many pilgrims have told me they don't like walking alongside it.

Best wishes regardless of which way you go. Have a great Camino!

I recommend walking out of Porto along the river and up the coast staying at Angeiras campsite in a cabin the first night and having dinner in one of the many little fish restaurants in the authentic old little port on the beach. Then on to Vila do Conde, nice new albergue and nice little town. Then head inland from there.

Exciting times
Absolutely, take the Coastal.

Interior...case da Fernanda...not to be missed!
Technically, Casa sa Fernanda is on the Central not the Interior, which is a route even further east.

There seem to be four routes north from Porto. From west to east they are:
- the Litoral which is right along the coast
- the Coastal which is a bit central but regularly connects to the coast and the Litoral
- the Central which is between the Coastal and the Interior the most traditional and popular (although the Coastal is catching up)
- the Interior, which is even further east and, I believe has the least pilgrim traffic (such that most of the guide books don't cover it, though they may acknowledge it).

A lot of people recommend walking along the coast as one leaves Porto, but what they are really recommending is walking on the Litoral. The "Coastal" route, at least as the guidebook shows it, heads north and not immediately along the coast. It joins the Litoral at Vila do Conde. At the same time, you can leave the Litoral/Coastal at Vila do Conde and join the Central at Arcos.

That last is what you'd do if you want to start with a nice walk along the coast and then head inland for Casa da Fernanda. It is what I'm doing. :)

The Interior is a whole other kettle of fish.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I wondered what to do about this too. As I packed up my first morning I decided that I was there to walk, so started walking.
I am so glad that I did.
I enjoyed seeing a bit of local town life and met a fellow pilgrim whom I walked with often after that.
It is well marked with many good cafes.
Also I did feel it helped my transition from busy city mode to country, almost as if I earned it by walking through it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked this stage in July. It is REALLY tedious until the river just past Vilarinho. At the river, the Caminho totally transforms and becomes magical. We didn't stay in Vilarinho but walked on to the absolutely lovely village of Arcos. The Caminho from then on was beautiful. Arcos is a great halt.

Be aware of drivers in Portugal. They are some of the craziest on the planet. Even walking through the narrow, cobbled streets of a village I was almost run over by someone probably doing over 60kph.

I really enjoyed the PT camino except for this reason. I have just completed a few weeks campervanning around PT and my feelings about the local drivers have not changed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the end I got the train to Maia forum outside of Porto and walked to vairo avoiding most of the industrial estate. It was a nice stage which improved the further you went nice little villages and I really loved staying at the monastery. As for the central route I found it to be absolutely stunning....I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of the countryside an unforgettable trip

I saw this rail between the building and white one in Vilarinho. What is it? What is the circle near the white building??

dthumb-phinf.pstatic.net-2.jpeg

IMG_2098.JPG

Funny I had the same question, so I asked at the bar a bit behind and to the left of where you stood for the pictures. Locals told me of the restorative properties of the water in the area, actually from a church and well a few kilometers earlier on the way, that was stored up in the tower and delivered to that house.
So that's either your answer or its a great tale locals tell pligrams who ask? 😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Funny I had the same question, so I asked at the bar a bit behind and to the left of where you stood for the pictures. Locals told me of the restorative properties of the water in the area, actually from a church and well a few kilometers earlier on the way, that was stored up in the tower and delivered to that house.
So that's either your answer or its a great tale locals tell pligrams who ask? 😀

Obrigada for your answer. ;)

I´ve donne the portuguese camino many times. For me the best way is take the metro to Vilar do Pinheiro and from there walk to San Pedro de Rates..I´ve always met lots of pilgrims doing the same...
Katia

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back