• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st time camino franch in may

nili

Time of past OR future Camino
camino franch 2020
hey everybody im nili 35 years old.
ill be leaving for camino in may ,i read a lot of packing lists but still need some help ,can u recommend me what gear to take(prefarably a girl list buy minimal) for may weather,and what do u need to do like in booking alberguies in advance or to sign up for the camino....so i come well prepared also money wise and all
would love some help im a bit lost.
thanx in advance
nili🙂

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello 🙋🏻‍♀️
So you're in front of a BIG adventure!
Write in the search section "gear list" and you'll find many different lists.
You don't sign up for the Camino, you just start walking. You can get a pilgrims passport, the credencial, from many starting points of the route. You'll need it to have a bed in an albergue. You don't need to book the albergues, but if you want to do so, choose the private ones. The municipal albergues can't be booked.
There's a start, keep going and Buen Camino 😊

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hey i tried looking like u said but couldnt find and lists for may there are a million posts can u be more specific?
thanx a lot

Hi Nili, I will be walking in May also having walked in July last year. My clothing will be lightweight and multi functional. Think layers, quick drying and breathable. Poncho to cover my pack, flip flops and very lightweight sandals to give my feet a break after a days walking. Thin 1 season sleeping bag and microfibre travel towel. Minimal toiletries, foot cream and first aid kit including blister plasters and k tape. Sun hat. Don’t overstress as you can buy most things over there if you need to! Buen Camino, maybe I will see you over there! I have prebooked St Jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles. I can only walk 10 days, last year had no trouble finding a bed anywhere, it’s nice to just go with the flow and stop where you fancy!

Hi Nili, I will be walking in May also having walked in July last year. My clothing will be lightweight and multi functional. Think layers, quick drying and breathable. Poncho to cover my pack, flip flops and very lightweight sandals to give my feet a break after a days walking. Thin 1 season sleeping bag and microfibre travel towel. Minimal toiletries, foot cream and first aid kit including blister plasters and k tape. Sun hat. Don’t overstress as you can buy most things over there if you need to! Buen Camino, maybe I will see you over there! I have prebooked St Jean, Orisson and Roncesvalles. I can only walk 10 days, last year had no trouble finding a bed anywhere, it’s nice to just go with the flow and stop where you fancy!

hey thanx for answering is it possible u send an exact packing list with what u took / pictures it would be big help hope to see u too

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have look on youtube loads of people that have done it show you what they took and what worked and didn't work for them.

hey thanx for answering is it possible u send an exact packing list with what u took / pictures it would be big help hope to see u too
If you search packing lists on this forum there are a couple of really good ones. Everything I took I separated into either a dry sac or ziploc bag so I always knew where everything was. Everyone has different ideas of what they think is necessary, I put all my options on a bed and then considered which were absolutely necessary and if they didn’t fall into that category then I didn’t take them. Other necessities were phone charger, sunglasses, 2 sets of underwear, 3 pr good smart wool walking socks and thin shorts for either walking or sleeping or both! Lip salve and a very thin scarf or buff, ear plugs and a small torch, hand sanitiser and a very small notebook and pen.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi and welcome to the forum @nili ,
There is not one packing list that magically fits all pilgrims and ways. Every pilgrim is different, for example what are the ideal shoes for me, might be the absolutely wrong ones for you, even if we walked the same Camino and the same time of the year ;-)

Take your time, read a lot in this forum, use the search function and slowly things will fall into place.
BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a subforum here dedicated to gear. As @SYates said there is no one size fits all gear list. You need to do a bit of research to decide what will work for you.

You could also buy this book.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
yeah i did and got some ideas ,tnx
Buen Camino! I'm heading to my first Camino the end of April. However, I've been backpack traveling for decades so I'm fairly clear on what is essential YouTube example of women's packing list:
. Also a longer video there for packing under 10 pounds.
Lots of options, go minimal, enjoy every step in the process!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey! I would say I'm minimalist (my pack was ~4kg), and I am female. I walked in Sept/Oct, so I'm not 100% sure the weather is similar in May, but Sept/Oct are cooler than summer so I was prepared for colder temperatures. My pack list is here. (detailed, with pictures and reasons why I brought each thing and how I used it). I also wrote a bit of a post on there about my spending. Buen Camino!

There is not one packing list that magically fits all pilgrims and ways.
WHAT?!?!?! 😳
That just ..... SUCKS!!!!! ;)

But then....

🎶 Wouldn't it be lovely? 🎶

As most folks said - its not what someone else did but what will work for you. Do your homework diligently, allow some time for training walking with all your gear and hopefully it will all fall into a place!
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Nili, I read your post and smiled...your first Camino...thats great...you will love it..I too am walking it again in May/June.....maybe we will meet ...setting off from SJPDP on wed 27th May...my advice is this...don’t worry, just turn up and walk...keep your pack as light as possible, take light synthetic clothes...cotton is awful...soaks up sweat.....I personally wear running shoes, no need for big heavy boots...i basically take 3 shorts, 3 tops, 3 socks, fleece and poncho, flip flops light gloves (I found early mornings a bit cold on the hands), sun hat.....plus iphone charger cable...pick a small and light rucksac 30 litres is fine. Regarding accomodation and booking, I always book the first few days, SJPDP, Orisson, Roncevalles, and Zubiri...just to be sure, there is a real pressure on beds due to numbers............after that I stop when im tired or use and app to book ahead....have a look at Wisely+, Gronze.com, buen camino, use booking.com........i’d be happy to answer any questions if I can..or give suggestions re great albergues to stay in....I think the most important piece of advice given to me has been...remember that it is ‘your camino’ don’t feel like you have to conform i.e taking certain things.....stay in certain places....take what you want/sleep where you want...but keep it light...you will be amazed by the amount of gear ypu find abandoned as the camino goes on......buen camino Nili......see you on the road...

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back