• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st time Camino. Starting Frances 26th Sep

camroc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Portuguese 2020
Hi everyone, I'm embarking upon my first Camino this Saturday coming - 26th.

Am I correct in saying there will be enough alberques open to not have to worry too much about accomodation? I'm bringing a tent also.

I won't starve? There will be enough food outlets along the way that are open.

I won't die from exposure? What should I expect from the weather?

I'm not particularly worried about covid, I'll of course be acting and behaving responsibly in this regard. Are the locals happy to see pilgrims on their way at this time?

Thanks and any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Am I correct in saying there will be enough alberques open to not have to worry too much about accomodation? I'm bringing a tent also.
  • We don't really know. As you must realize, the situation is variable and changing. We can't say how many albergues is enough for you, or how much you should worry. But taking a tent will provide some additional options for you.
  • Very few of us on the forum are likely to starve I we have to go without food for a day or two 😁. Again, we don't know, but if I were you, I would be sure to carry 24 hours worth of calories in my back pack, as well as a good water supply.
  • Not likely in September, unless there is a heat wave. If you plan to walk all the way to Santiago, you should expect heat, rain and perhaps some cold. Go prepared with layers for everything.
I'm not particularly worried about covid, I'll of course be acting and behaving responsibly in this regard. Are the locals happy to see pilgrims on their way at this time?
  • Some are and some aren't. Like the rest of us, Spaniards have a wide range of opinions and attitudes. However, you will increase your chances of a good reception by being very obvious in showing respect for their regulations about mask use, distancing, and other precautions.
any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • I hope this helps. We have many threads on this forum debating the questions that you asked, so you might browse through some of them for additional information (if you haven't already).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
  • We don't really know. As you must realize, the situation is variable and changing. We can't say how many albergues is enough for you, or how much you should worry. But taking a tent will provide some additional options for you.
  • Very few of us on the forum are likely to starve I we have to go without food for a day or two 😁. Again, we don't know, but if I were you, I would be sure to carry 24 hours worth of calories in my back pack, as well as a good water supply.
  • Not likely in September, unless there is a heat wave. If you plan to walk all the way to Santiago, you should expect heat, rain and perhaps some cold. Go prepared with layers for everything.
  • Some are and some aren't. Like the rest of us, Spaniards have a wide range of opinions and attitudes. However, you will increase your chances of a good reception by being very obvious in showing respect for their regulations about mask use, distancing, and other precautions.
any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • I hope this helps. We have many threads on this forum debating the questions that you asked, so you might browse through some of them for additional information (if you haven't already).
Thanks for your reply, yes I'll be going all the way to Santiago. Looking forward to it now and can't wait.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for your reply, yes I'll be going all the way to Santiago. Looking forward to it now and can't wait.
I hope you have a wonderful Camino. If possible, once you start, it would be great if you start a thread where you post updates occasionally on how it’s going for you. Very helpful to those of us who are thinking of doing the frances in the near future. 🙏🍾🤩

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm doing the Camino in several trips. Started SJPDP in 2017. Starting again tomorrow at Villafranca, del Bierzo( initially with an alternative route called Ruta Dragonte).
I get the impression that about half of the Albergues are open. It's very quiet. Like you I have backup with some bivy gear and a tarp

I hope you have a wonderful Camino. If possible, once you start, it would be great if you start a thread where you post updates occasionally on how it’s going for you. Very helpful to those of us who are thinking of doing the frances in the near future. 🙏🍾🤩
I may do Stephan. I envisage staying in my tent a large amount of the time as I was going to do this anyway regardless of Covid. Thanks for your best wishes. :)

I'm doing the Camino in several trips. Started SJPDP in 2017. Starting again tomorrow at Villafranca, del Bierzo( initially with an alternative route called Ruta Dragonte).
I get the impression that about half of the Albergues are open. It's very quiet. Like you I have backup with some bivy gear and a tarp
Good Luck!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Buen camino! Take care!

I’m sure you’ll be fine. There will be a vastly reduced number of albergue spaces available, but an equally vastly reduced number of people wanting them.

If you’re content to carry a tent, that’s fine. Personally I wouldn’t.

Do, please, post as you go. Quite a few of us are doing a vicarious Camino and need input.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did my first Camino in 2017, the Frances, OMG. you will really enjoy it. I am jealous, in a nice way. I can't even leave Australia! I did the Portuguese in 2018 and the Norte in 2019. My 2020 adventure was lost to Covid-19.
Forget the tent, the way will provide. Buen Camino.... Stay safe....

I too am starting my first Camino, departing SJPDP on Sep 30. I am currently in Dublin waiting out a two week quarantine, flying to Madrid on Sep 29. I have accommodations booked the entire route, so room availability is not a concern. Does anyone have a feel for how many people will be walking each day through October? I am not concerned about my personal safety but just curious if I’ll likely be alone the vast majority of the trip? Thanks for sharing your information!

Scott

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello, I didn't have any trouble with alburgues.

Hi, Don't worry alburgues have gone Great lengths to make sure your safe most alburgues are open and shops etc especially at the main stops. Just carry food and water just incase you have to walk a little further. I had no problems at all, and was staying in smaller towns this time. If in doubt book ahead, I downloaded an app with a list of alburgues so I could email ahead for piece of mind. Just enjoy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the update, fingers crossed it does not get too serious and there are only limited restrictions. A lockdown would not be ideal.

It will be rainy in Galicia, and cold, especially in the morning. Maybe frost on the meseta. Gloves, hat, Polertec and poncho to cover your pack! You can buy additional clothes in logrono, Burgos, ,Astorga and probably elsewhere.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The Dragonte is fantastic, I have done it twice, better than the other side adn waaaay better than the highway! Enjoy.

I too am starting my first Camino, departing SJPDP on Sep 30. I am currently in Dublin waiting out a two week quarantine, flying to Madrid on Sep 29. I have accommodations booked the entire route, so room availability is not a concern. Does anyone have a feel for how many people will be walking each day through October? I am not concerned about my personal safety but just curious if I’ll likely be alone the vast majority of the trip? Thanks for sharing your information!

Scott
Pilgrim numbers are likely to be very low, so chances of meeting people while walking will be less. No way of knowing for sure, but you'll find out soon enough. There will be more chance of meeting people at each stopping point, so maybe you might end up "teaming up" now and again between certain stages. It seems that many of those that have risked the Camino in these times have enjoyed it and report the peace and quiet of not having so many pilgrims and not having to suffer "the bed race syndrome". They have said that this quiet Camino actually enhanced their experience.
There are possibilities of various areas having restrictions on entering and leaving, so you'll need to keep abreast of what is going on to avoid being trapped or made to do tests and wait for results. Good luck and buen Camino.
I'm hoping to start a section of the Camino del Norte starting next weekend near Gijón.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Late September, my 4 years ago and 2 years ago Anniversary, of doing the Frances. I'm envious. I can't think of a better month - from a weather point of view! Be mindful. Be respectful. Be safe. Calculate risk for yourself and others. Enjoy yourself. Enjoy the sun and air and freedom and think of the millions, as you likely will, that traveled before you. Life continues!

Hi Camroc and others about to set off...
Am currently on day 8 of post-Camino quarantine having returned to the UK from Santiago at the end of last week. 'House arrest', as I call it, is incredibly hard - the rules are much stricter than those of the recent lock-down with no daily exercise walk, jog or bike ride permitted. I live alone so food must be delivered by either store, family or neighbours. After a month of long daily walking you'd be wise to consider now how you'll cope upon your return.
My Camino started August 15th in SJpdP and ended in Muxia 27 days later and weather was kind to say the least; no rain, not once, not even in Galicia ! I was pre-advised that pilgrim numbers were down 90% but nothing quite prepared me for the long open trail without another peregrino in sight. The almost 17km stretch between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Ceuza for example was totally empty. Many times I looked around hoping to see someone following in the distance, but no. Frequently I was the only guest at an Albergue and I have huge admiration, gratitude and respect for these establishments remaining open. Many are closed but the Gronze app kept me well informed and I generally booked ahead. Gone were the communal meals of course, so supper was frequently a rather lonesome affair. Shops and supermarkets are open as are bars, cafes and restaurants. Everyone wears a mask and I had no problem adapting to the norm - Spain was hit incredibly hard first time around and the scars are still very raw. Early fears that I'd be met by glaring "GO HOME" type stares and hostility were very quickly dispersed as the Spanish were warm, friendly and hospitable and there was never any shortage of "Buen Camino' greetings as I walked through the streets. It was a very different experience this time and I have no regrets, largely perhaps because of a chance encounter. Early on I met and fell into conversation with a early-twenties Spanish guy who was walking to honour his grandparents who had died in the pandemic, that meeting was all it took to reassure me that life, and The Camino, must go on.

@camroc, without looking at any other posts in your thread, my guess is you will find food and beds and fun and meaning... have a look around for @roaming paddy. He is from Cork city. Right now he is mooching his way to either Finisterre and then Muxia, and or in reverse order. He will tell you somethings about his recent stretch on the CF. Also, have a look at https://wewalkforyou2020.org and you will follow in recent footsteps of a camino pilgrimage done to take the prayers and wishes of many pilgrims who can't walk this year for one or another reason. you are either on your way, or have begun today. Buen Camino, let us all know how it goes.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Have a good journey and buen camino to both of you, @camroc and @Scott from Seattle! Like others, I'd love to hear from you on the Camino Frances if you feel like sharing. Would also be interested in hearing how the flight went and what is was like to go through airport/border control at Madrid.
Hi, I flew from Dublin to Biarritz today. There was no problems and no extra checks at all. Ryanair my airline had sent me a couple of forms to fill in regarding contact tracing and a signed declaration for French border control but nobody checked them or required them. Will be starting the Camino on Monday. 😁

Am currently on day 8 of post-Camino quarantine having returned to the UK from Santiago at the end of last week. 'House arrest', as I call it, is incredibly hard - the rules are much stricter than those of the recent lock-down with no daily exercise walk, jog or bike ride permitted. I live alone so food must be delivered by either store, family or neighbours. After a month of long daily walking you'd be wise to consider now how you'll cope upon your return.
My Camino started August 15th in SJpdP and ended in Muxia 27 days later and weather was kind to say the least; no rain, not once, not even in Galicia ! I was pre-advised that pilgrim numbers were down 90% but nothing quite prepared me for the long open trail without another peregrino in sight. The almost 17km stretch between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Ceuza for example was totally empty. Many times I looked around hoping to see someone following in the distance, but no. Frequently I was the only guest at an Albergue and I have huge admiration, gratitude and respect for these establishments remaining open. Many are closed but the Gronze app kept me well informed and I generally booked ahead. Gone were the communal meals of course, so supper was frequently a rather lonesome affair. Shops and supermarkets are open as are bars, cafes and restaurants. Everyone wears a mask and I had no problem adapting to the norm - Spain was hit incredibly hard first time around and the scars are still very raw. Early fears that I'd be met by glaring "GO HOME" type stares and hostility were very quickly dispersed as the Spanish were warm, friendly and hospitable and there was never any shortage of "Buen Camino' greetings as I walked through the streets. It was a very different experience this time and I have no regrets, largely perhaps because of a chance encounter. Early on I met and fell into conversation with a early-twenties Spanish guy who was walking to honour his grandparents who had died in the pandemic, that meeting was all it took to reassure me that life, and The Camino, must go on.
@tigermike, my first words, reading the early part of your post: well, I can't really put them in as they sound like a prayer and that could be against the rules. For crying out loud, how long are your legs? 27 days! I thought I was the total bees knees for making it from Roncesvalles to Santiago in 29 days. Not that it was a race. It was an average of 25km, and towards the end had worked up enough stamina to get out of the way of the Sarria invasion.I am so glad to note that you were welcomed. You will get over the hard part, the quarantine will soon be over. You are so lucky to have been able to do this camino. You know that.

Hi, I flew from Dublin to Biarritz today. There was no problems and no extra checks at all. Ryanair my airline had sent me a couple of forms to fill in regarding contact tracing and a signed declaration for French border control but nobody checked them or required them. Will be starting the Camino on Monday. 😁
Serendipity, @camroc. I have just posted having seen your opening message. Delighted to see you are over there... and I have just looked and see you plan on the CF and the Portugues. As my first two caminos. Both memorable. I look forward to your reports.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi Mike, fantastic thanks for the info. My heart goes out to the Spanish guy you met. 👍

@camroc, without looking at any other posts in your thread, my guess is you will find food and beds and fun and meaning... have a look around for @roaming paddy. He is from Cork city. Right now he is mooching his way to either Finisterre and then Muxia, and or in reverse order. He will tell you somethings about his recent stretch on the CF. Also, have a look at https://wewalkforyou2020.org and you will follow in recent footsteps of a camino pilgrimage done to take the prayers and wishes of many pilgrims who can't walk this year for one or another reason. you are either on your way, or have begun today. Buen Camino, let us all know how it goes.
Hi, looks like I won't be starting the Camino untill Monday. Yes I am incredibly grateful that I am able to this at this time, given so many are unable. I will try and post as I go at least a couple of times a week. Thanks 👍

@tigermike, my first words, reading the early part of your post: well, I can't really put them in as they sound like a prayer and that could be against the rules. For crying out loud, how long are your legs? 27 days! .

Not THAT long @kirkie, but my days were long THAT is for sure !
Truth be told I love walking in those couple of hours before dawn, when the moon and stars shine brilliantly, the air is cool and the sun is well below the horizon. The transformation of night into day is, especially on The Camino, truly magnificent. (see pics from either side of Santo Domingo de la Calzada). The purest light of the shadowless early dawn morphs, and VERY long-legged shadows start to appear - magical !
Thing is, by 11.00hrs most days I'd have already walked 20kms so I just kept walking !
Albergues seldom open until around 13.00hrs so 30+km days just sort of happened....
I did scoot through the large cities it must be said, only overnighting in Pamplona, Astorga and SdC, much preferring to stop in the places between the recognised 'stage' towns. Its a personal choice of course, many love the thrill and bustle of the city and I'm sure Camroc and others will hugely enjoy exploring them, and I wish them well.IMG_3898.JPGIMG_3899.JPG

I was supposed to be on that flight😔(my original flight would have been 2nd April, and I'd rescheduled to today, thinking everything would be back to normal) but I have decided now is not the right time for me to do the camino. If things had been different, we would most certainly have bumped into each other, perhaps shared a coffee/tea (Lyons or Barry's? Lol)
I hope you have an amazing time, and I'll be watching your posts to see how you get on.
I'll hopefully be there next April, but right now I'm heading to a 12hr night shift at work. Sad times
Buen Camino x

Have walked the CF and the CP in the fall. Warm at the start but got quite cold toward mid/late Oct, esp after sundown. Had to buy extra layers. Hope the shops will be open for you in the event you need extra layers.

Hi Camroc and others starting the Camino soon. I am flying to Madrid this friday and hoping to start my Camino in SJPDP on Saturday morning (3rd). It is good to hear there will be other pilgrims walking. Buen Camino and maybe we will meet along the Way!

I flew from Dublin to Biarritz today. There was no problems and no extra checks at all. Ryanair my airline had sent me a couple of forms to fill in regarding contact tracing and a signed declaration for French border control but nobody checked them or required them
Thank you so much for this feedback, @camroc. I am glad to read that it went so smoothly for you and a very Buen Camino!
I too am starting my first Camino, departing SJPDP on Sep 30. I am currently in Dublin waiting out a two week quarantine, flying to Madrid on Sep 29. I have accommodations booked the entire route, so room availability is not a concern
I hope everything went smoothly for you, too, @Scott from Seattle. Yours is the more interesting journey, if I may say so: from the United States (I guess) via a stay in Dublin/Ireland to Madrid airport.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@camroc I’ve just done the Norte from Llanes to Oviedo and will set out tomorrow over the San Salvador to León, where I’ll join on to the Francés.

My experience so far has been that the albergues that are open have prepared incredibly carefully (and were very quiet in any case - I haven’t stayed somewhere with more than 3 people) and, moreover, measures are far more stringent (and well-observed) in Spain than in my hometown of London. Everyone has been very hospitable. I’d keep an eye on local news as there is talk of local lockdowns in cities like León, Burgos and Pamplona and book accommodation a night ahead if you’re not in your tent. Other than that, stay safe, enjoy and buen Camino!

............to Oviedo and will set out tomorrow over the San Salvador to León, where I’ll join on to the Francés.

Hello JP! Not easy to walk a camino against the flow with the yellow arrows on the “wrong” side of trees, lampposts etc. And the blue squiggles generally are not very numerous I noticed. So bon courage! And maybe you can keep us up-to-date about making progress.

Buen camino!

Buen Camino!

We were suppose to leave today from the US to Spain...:( Maybe in March/April will will be able to go. I think the weather will be cooler towards the end of March/April. I am not sure what to expect. I did wear my backpack this morning on a walk and thought of the Camino. This would have been our first Camino.

Send us pics if you get a change of your Journey. Like the what Mike shared about his Camino, the Spanish guy walking for his grand parents.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello JP! Not easy to walk a camino against the flow with the yellow arrows on the “wrong” side of trees, lampposts etc. And the blue squiggles generally are not very numerous I noticed. So bon courage! And maybe you can keep us up-to-date about making progress.

Buen camino!
Thank you! Safely completed the San Salvador in reverse and now onto the Frances from León. It was surprisingly well marked going against the flow and if I was ever in doubt then the map on the Wise Pilgrim app was handy! Would heartily recommend the route, though it’s not for the faint-hearted

Hi everyone, just a quick update to this thread. I am having a great time, met some lovely people, heard some fantastic stories many of which have touched the heart. I won't recount them here for obvious reasons. I have also encountered much beauty amongst other great virtues including kindness, generosity, love and nobility.

On another note a fellow pilgrim has lost a wedding ring. I will create a new thread with the title lost wedding ring and post details there. Any questions about my experience so far are welcome here. 🙌

Hi, a fellow pilgrim has lost his wedding ring he thinks in Carrión de los Condes.

Inside the ring there are the following names: Alberto and Philippa; if you find it please contact myself here or direct message.

If anyone has any advice on maybe lost property or something please let us know.

Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, a fellow pilgrim has lost his wedding ring he thinks in Carrión de los Condes.

Inside the ring there are the following names: Alberto and Philippa; if you find it please contact myself here or direct message.

If anyone has any advice on maybe lost property or something please let us know.

Thanks
I believe there us a "Lost and Found" forum in the miscellaneous section. That might be another good place to post this.

Hi @Scott from Seattle! I reckon that you must be close to Galicia by now. What was your own experience like in the end? Did many walk the Camino Frances from SJPP? We who are home bound just love to read about the experience of those who managed to walk this October. Buen Camino for the rest of your journey! ☺️

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back