• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st time doing the Camino/ Any advice?

Alma Garibay

Time of past OR future Camino
Will do the Camino for the first time starting Oct. 1st.
Hello I am doing El Camino in October arriving on the 29th and starting my walk on 1st of October. This is a last minute decision for me of doing El Camino. I only got 3 weeks to prepare for this. I live in the state of Oregon USA. I am in the process of booking my trip.

Does any one recommend a good travel agent or any advice about booking? I've been in contact with Mac Adventures and I am at the point where I am about to book. Does any one have any advice about them?

I will like to know any useful information about what to bring.

So far I know I will take my phone to take pictures and stay in touch with friends. I take medication so I need medication, Sweats and shorts, rain light jacket, two to three shirts, socks. I need to buy a Back Pack any recommendations? Do I really need hiking shoes? I heard some people talking about a Swiss Knife, a flashlight, and snacks?

I will appreciate any advice!

Thanks
Alma Garibay

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Alma!
The best advice for things like backpack, boots etc. is to go to a good retailer, explain what you're doing and try things on. You want these things to be as comfortable as possible and good quality, so be prepared to spend a bit extra if that's what you get. Also search the forum for advice on specific questions. Sometimes the advice will be contradictory (eg boots or shoes), which usually means it's a matter of personal choice. Most agree that your pack should be around 40 litres and as far below 10kg as you can achieve.

You'll be walking at an unpredictable time of year for weather. You will see some rain, so a good rain jacket and pack cover or poncho will be needed. Again, search the forum for details. It could get cold so take a fleece, but for shirts etc just take 1 change of clothes to keep weight down.

On travel agents US pilgrims will advise best on the specifics. There's no need to book accommodation through an organised tour though. You just need a flight really. This may be to Paris or Madrid depending on where you plan to start walking, with onward train travel. Again, do a search.

I'm sure you'll take medical advice before you leave home if relevant. Spain has good health care, but make sure you have appropriate insurance.

Above all, look forward to it and have fun. Many of us have done it at very short notice so no worries about that. Just start slowly and remember that you're fresher at the start but fitter at the end!

Buen camino!

Hi Alma,

You will Get autumn weather: can beautiful and warm... when the sun raise. And freezing cold (less than 0 degree C) during the night.
You will get rain.

So be prepared for all situations: have enough change to cope with if your clothes don't dry overnight. I would recommend a light sleeping bag.

I'm a member of the umbrella sect, so I encourage you to take one ☺

And the most important: stay positive and enjoy your walk!

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can find plenty of sample packing lists on this forum - do a search. You can see my list here, which was for a
May camino - October weather could be similar. I have also written a very thorough assessment of my clothes and walking gear here.
Buen camino!

One thing more: If you are suffering any chronic illness, ask your doctor for a paper describing what you suffer. And a list of medicaments/drugs you need.

Both can be very helpful in case you need to use the Spanish health system.

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Alma, Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2014.
As you can see, many Forum members are jumping right in with solid info for you. They have miles of experience walking the Way and are eager to help. That said, some questions and recommendations:
1. How long do you have to walk ? This will better center answers on what you will and may not need.
2. Where will you start? #1 will provide.
3. Boots or good hiking shoes? #2 is a factor.
4. The pack. This is biggie, though it shouldn't be. Stores tend to sell packs that...well, can cost more than you need. In the USA, and in the Pacific NE in particular, long distances, with little support infrastructure, requires a totally different type and size of pack. The majority of Caminos are along trails that pass through villages and some larger cities. You can get most of your daily needs right there. The larger the pack...the more opportunity to fill it with things you "might" need.
5. Once you have your pack and you've decided what you will take. Pack it. Wear it, walk in it, adjust it, walk some more. Then unpack it and remove all the "might" needs. Repack. Already your pack is getting lighter as you get stronger. The night before you leave, unpack again and really, really remove those last few "might" needs.
Alma,
Your Camino has already begun.
Buen Camino,
Arn

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Magwood is right. Search this site for a packing list. It is very specific and pay attention to it. :) Less is more. Make sure you take clothes pins (10 with your initials on them or color them with bright magic marker so they don't walk away on the clothes lines. :) You do not need a travel agent. You should decide where you are flying into and then the only thing you may need to do ahead of time is reserve a train to where ever you are beginning. I flew into Paris one time and had a reservation on the night train to Iruna then Pamplona and those sometimes fill up. Last time I flew into Barcelona and took a train to Pamplona. You can arrange that on the internet. Do NOT take too much. you can wash clothes. You can buy what you need. Buen Camino!

Europe Map.JPG

The hardest part seems to be about how to get there. Here is map showing start and finish of Camino Frances and major transportation centers providing access.

Alma, Tranquillo...........tranquillo, all will be well. Forget the shopping list for albergues & medicine. Bring what you need. Pharmacies generally give prescription medicines for 12 / 14 days without certificate, in my experience If yer not too confident bring a photocopy of yer prescription.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello I am doing El Camino in October arriving on the 29th and starting my walk on 1st of October. This is a last minute decision for me of doing El Camino. I only got 3 weeks to prepare for this. I live in the state of Oregon USA. I am in the process of booking my trip.

Does any one recommend a good travel agent or any advice about booking? I've been in contact with Mac Adventures and I am at the point where I am about to book. Does any one have any advice about them?

I will like to know any useful information about what to bring.

So far I know I will take my phone to take pictures and stay in touch with friends. I take medication so I need medication, Sweats and shorts, rain light jacket, two to three shirts, socks. I need to buy a Back Pack any recommendations? Do I really need hiking shoes? I heard some people talking about a Swiss Knife, a flashlight, and snacks?

I will appreciate any advice!

Thanks
Alma Garibay[/QUOT

Hi Alma,
I'm doing camino right now - I just posted my advice (long and don't want to re type it) under "best time of year to go?" Thread. Hope you find it useful and Buen Camino!

You can find plenty of sample packing lists on this forum - do a search. You can see my list here, which was for a
May camino - October weather could be similar. I have also written a very thorough assessment of my clothes and walking gear here.
Buen camino!
Fantastic resource - thanks! Wading through it now - how long did you go for, do you mind my asking and what section(s)?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi @Irish guy - ask away. This year I walked for 27 days, camino Portuguese from Lisbon, 670 km. this packinglist was drawn up with a little experience under my belt and a bit more confidence as to how little I could get away with and how much weight I could carry. I took way more tech gear than most would contemplate - but that was my indulgence and I knew I was ok with the weight. All this extra weight was carried in or from my waist pack which, for me, does not seem to count.

Whilst I would advise keeping the weight down as much as possible, don't fret too much about 100 grams here or there. In reality (for me at least) a few hundred grams is not a deal breaker.
Happy planning and buen camino
Maggie

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all! I'm planning to walk the last 200 km of the Camino this October as well, starting in Ponferrada around Oct 4 and planning to finish Oct 19 or so. I've got a north face fleece vest, but do wonder whether it'd be more sensible to bring a sleeved fleece. October seems to need more gear than the other seasons, and I'm pretty new to backpacking/hiking, unfortunately! :p I'll be reading through these forums, and hopefully won't overpack?!

It'll be great to meet some of you!

Hi Blasto. A sleeved fleece would probably be better, to be honest. In October it can be quite cool, especially in the higher points along the route. It's in the evenings and when you start walking in the morning that you'll really need it. Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back