• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st timer asks questions!

Rasika

Time of past OR future Camino
(2017)
Aloha from Hawaii!

I am going to walk the Camino Frances this September and it will be my first time. I have some questions, hope you can help me with them.

1. What is the weather going to be like in September? And maybe first two weeks of October?
2. What do you recommend wearing for this time of year?
3. Will I need a sleeping bag? Some say a liner is sufficient, but I run pretty cold. Your opinion?
4. Are there places along the Camino to buy hiking gear at all? Shoes especially.
5. Is the Camino vegetarian friendly?
6. Are there any places to swim along the Camino? Swimming pools or lakes/rivers?I'm thinking if I should bring a bathing suit.
7. Do I need to book the albergues in advance? I was planning on just walking and seeing if anything is available when I get there.

Thanks guys. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Aloha @Rasika and welcome to the forum.

If you browse the forum a little bit and/or use the search box in the top right corner, you will find the answer, and plenty of different opinions, to your questions ;-)

Buen Camino, SY

Aloha from Hawaii!

I am going to walk the Camino Frances this September and it will be my first time. I have some questions, hope you can help me with them.

1. What is the weather going to be like in September? And maybe first two weeks of October?
3. Will I need a sleeping bag? Some say a liner is sufficient, but I run pretty cold. Your opinion?
4. Are there places along the Camino to buy hiking gear at all? Shoes especially.
6. Are there any places to swim along the Camino? Swimming pools or lakes/rivers?I'm thinking if I should bring a bathing suit.
7. Do I need to book the albergues in advance? I was planning on just walking and seeing if anything is available when I get there.

Thanks guys. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well.
Oh my goodness, so many difficult questions! Hi Rasika!

Weather: I can't help. Your guess is as good as mine!
Wearing: layers! So you can cope with heat/cold and rain.
Sleeping bag: I always take one but that's just me.
Buying hiking gear: yes there are places, if you're more specific we can tell you where. Buying shoes....I 'd advise you to buy them BEFORE starting and walking as many kms as you can with them....
Vegetarian: have a search on the forum, it's been discussed before.
Swimming: yes there are swimming pools so bring a swimsuit if you're keen. Otherwise, underwear and maybe a t-shirt to cover up (if needed) is ok....
I don't book in advance but again that's just my preference. (Apart from first night in Bayonne when I arrive late and also last night in SdC) but then I like to live dangerously ;):cool:
Hope it helps, more advice will come along no doubt :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Welcome to the forum. The answer to your question concerning vegetarian food is complicated. The Spanish are a warm and welcoming people, their food can be very very good, their conceptions of what is or what is not vegetarian is...ah...improving. Not so long ago asking for a vegetarian menu was considered a hilarious joke . They have learned to control their pre-conceptions. Still, you will be assured that the vegtable soup you ordered IS vegetable soup only to find a few pieces of chorizo floating on the top. The soup was cooked with only vegetables not a meat stock so its vegetable despite the sausage. Vegans now are regarded with great sympathy, how does one expect to get to heaven or Santiago eating goat food? Ask the hospitilaire in the albergue, they should know, larger cities have excellent tourist information offices ask there. Be prepared to cook your own-remembering that whoever volunteered to wash the dishes from the night before perhaps, just maybe, might have consumed a bit too much wine at dinnertime. Give everything a very good scrub! Restaurante en Sarria Matías Locanda also an albergue has a lovely vegetarian and vegan menu offerings. There are many othere like them along the Camino. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Hey, Rasika! It could be variable, but when I began walking 1 Oct 2015, it was stormy over the Pyrenees, rainy off and on the first week, then HOT. October was mostly beautiful, with bright blue skies and red and orange leaves.

Always pack light. I wore quick dry hiking pants, or tights. I had a pair of shorts with me. I carried a jacket and a rain poncho, as well as a warm fleece.

If you run cold, a sleeping bag, but a light one. Many albergues have blankets, and if I got cold, I slept in my clothes with my rain poncho over the top.

Yes, mostly in bigger towns and cities.

You can buy raw fruits and vegetables as well, but read Scruffy's post above.

How about a black jog bra and some black underwear just in case? or throw a suit in the bottom of your pack?

I just walked. I never booked.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Could be anything from HOT to COLD. Go prepared to layer.

2. What do you recommend wearing for this time of year? Layers. I usually start out with a fleece over a short sleeved shirt and peel it off after 5 minutes walking. If it''s cold I wear leggings under my Macabi skirt and peel them off too. Even if it's chilly, you'll be surprised how fast you warm up walking.

3. Will I need a sleeping bag? Some say a liner is sufficient, but I run pretty cold. Your opinion? I would not go in Sept/Oct without a sleeping bag. It can be cold in the higher elevations and not all albergues give out blankets. To begin with, you won't get a blanket in Roncesvalles and it can be quite cold there.

4. Are there places along the Camino to buy hiking gear at all? Shoes especially. Yes, in the larger cities like Pamplona, Burgos, Leon. Why? Do you think you'll need extra shoes?

5. Is the Camino vegetarian friendly? Within reason. Be aware, even vegetable soup is most likely made with meat stock. Do you eat fish? Otherwise you can do well cooking on your own. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits along the way.

6. Are there any places to swim along the Camino? Swimming pools or lakes/rivers?I'm thinking if I should bring a bathing suit. Personally, I wouldn't bother in Sept/Oct.

It's up to you.If you aren't a person who will freak out if the albergue is full, and are willing to either walk or taxi to the next village, you should be fine. If you need scheduling then you should book.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.