• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st Timer - Santo Domingo de la Calzada to S.D.C

Cath P.

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del norte "2015"
Camino de francés "2015"
Hello there!

Any feedback on starting a walk from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to S.D.C?

I'm thinking of catching a train from Barcelona to Logrono - then bus onwards to
Santo Domingo de la Calzada - and Walk to Belorado.
From Belorado bus to Rabe de las Calzades - then Walk to Sahagun.
From Sahagun - Bus to Astorga (Astorga stay & experience)
Astorga - bus to Sarria.
Walk Sarria to S.D.C.

Does anyone have advice walking Logrono to Santo Domingo de la Calzada?
A peaceful walk through scenery ?
Any holes/disadvantages/disillusional parts of my plan.

I am a total beginner & looking at a limited time frame. Also just starting to walk at home for training to walk for 2.5 wks September.
I've been discussing this trip with a local travel agent who advised the walk is Very busy in Sept and I shouldn't walk the Camino without going with an organised group. Is that a fair comment?
Does anyone have any recommendations for 'organised Camino walk' - I'm looking at the budget end of the tour operator scale! Or can I do it myself without any spanish language?!

Thanks for any advice wonderful people !
A very appreciative Cat

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Cath, it is not a bad plan. Lots of "meseta/vineyard" in the beginning.
Logrono to SDdlC is nice. Lots of vineyard and rolling hills. The last couple of miles into SDdlC are a slog, you just seem to grind it out (my opinion). An alternative might be start in Burgos, and see the cathedral, then walk to Sahagun. Mucho Meseta, but lots of interesting sights and little villages.
Astorga is great. An extra day to see the sights is good.
Sarria to SdC is my favorite part.

I don't have personal experience with organised walks, maybe someone else can help.

Buen Viaje.

Autobuses Jiminez provides service between Logrono and Burgos.
http://www.autobusesjimenez.com/horarios.php

Guerrobus provides service from Burgos to Rabe Friday only - this leg might be a problem.
http://www.guerrerobus.com/

Burgos bus station ... maybe you can find another bus to Rabe
http://www.aytoburgos.es/turismo-en-burgos/como-llegar/estacion-de-autobuses-de-burgos

ALSA from Sahagun to Leon, Leon to Astorga, Astorga to Ponferrada, Ponferrada to Lugo.
http://www.alsa.es/en/

Monbus from Lugo to Sarria
http://www.monbus.es/es

Renfe train works Sahagun to Astorga, Astorga to Sarria.
http://www.renfe.com/

The camino will be busy in September. Most people walk the camino without the services of a guide or organized group. There are lots of other pilgrims who have some English ... you may have to depend on them if anything extraordinary happens.

One point to note is that travel is time consuming. A lot of the places you plan to stop have limited bus or train service ... sometimes once or twice per day for which you use up a day mostly waiting. I note that you only have 2.5 weeks ... May I suggest that you pick a point to start walking and just walk till you are out of time. There is no section that is more awe inspiring or otherwise more interesting than any other ... its the walking in the countryside and sharing with other pilgrims.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
". . . Or can I do it myself without any spanish language?!"
Cat, I concur with Whariwharangi. Pick a city east of Santiago from where you want to start walking, based on your plan to reach Santiago in 16 days. I’m assuming that 2.5 weeks does not include travel time to the start and return at the end.

Therefore, a safe starting point would be Leòn giving you a distance of 328 km (204 miles) to Santiago. According to John Brierley’s guide, that would be 13 days with an average of 25 km/day (13 miles/day). It would also allow a day of rest and/or more time to climb the hilly paths from 1) Rabanal del Camino to Cruz de Ferro (350 m or 1150 ft elevation gain), 2) Trabedelo to O’Cebreiro (740 m or 2430 ft. gain), 3) Sarria to Alto Momientos (370 m or 1200 ft. gain), and 4) Portomarín to Sierra Ligonde (420 m or 1380 ft. gain). The rest should be a piece of cake.

If you decide to start from Leòn, take city bus 1A from Plaza Guzmán to La Virgin Del Camino to bypass the urban section on the west side. Plaza Guzmán is about 400 m (1300 ft.) west of, and across the river from, the Leòn bus station (Estacìon de autobuses de Leòn).

I just finished, arriving in Santiago on May 5, 2015 from Burgos. I did the St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos stages last year starting on September 25th. The average daily cost was 30 to 35 euros based on staying in dormitories in municipal or private albergues. Add 6 to 8 euros per day if you have a baggage transport company pickup and deliver your backpack to your destination. If you have problems with the hills, or with muscles/feet/blisters, there are taxis that can take you ahead to your next destination. The manager of the albergue where you are staying can usually call a taxi for you.

I can’t say for sure, but I don’t think you’ll have any problem with finding a bed in September. The key is to reach your destination early in the day before they fill up. When you are traveling alone, you only need to find one opening. You will meet pilgrims along the way who walk at your speed, and they can help since they will also be looking for an albergue. You can do the Camino yourself without knowing Spanish. (I don’t speak any Spanish either.)

Re. Training: Be sure to walk 15 miles a couple of days in a row to verify that your shoes don’t give you blisters.

Best of luck on your training.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back