• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

1st timer

Tikitour

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata Oct 17
Primitivo Aug 18
Hi there,
I am a single female Kiwi (from NZ) and start the VdlP 30 Sep 17. My first time to Spain, my first Camino and my first ever long walkabout. I am so excited!! Arrive Madrid from Croatia and travel the AVE direct to Servile on 29th. Is it important to book Servile accom in advance?
I can only walk 3 weeks and have no expectations as to how far I will get. Obviously I won't be able to complete it in that timeframe- but that's fine. I will have to return. Would I be able to use the same 'passport' another year - to finish the VdlP? Or does the passport only last 1 year? What the weather is like this time of year? Do I need a warm clothes and warm jacket? Will a light sleeping bag be sufficient?
Am hoping I will meet fellow pilgrims on the way - but not expecting it.
Your comments would be much appreciated.
Cheers, Kas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi there,
I am a single female Kiwi (from NZ) and start the VdlP 30 Sep 17. My first time to Spain, my first Camino and my first ever long walkabout. I am so excited!! Arrive Madrid from Croatia and travel the AVE direct to Servile on 29th. Is it important to book Servile accom in advance?
I can only walk 3 weeks and have no expectations as to how far I will get. Obviously I won't be able to complete it in that timeframe- but that's fine. I will have to return. Would I be able to use the same 'passport' another year - to finish the VdlP? Or does the passport only last 1 year? What is the weather like this time of year? Do I need warm clothes and warm jacket? Will a light sleeping bag be sufficient?
Cheers, Kas.

Hola

You may want to look into lodging booking homepages and apps for smartphones such as booking.com or hotel.com if you want to be sure about lodging for a night.
Else just arrive at the albergue - hostal for pilgrims - and hope there are room.
The passport is called a credential and you can continue using the same next time you walk. It never expire.
Last week the temperatures around madrid was +35 degree Celcius, so you do not need warm cloth.
Some pilgrims use soft shell jackets in the morning as temperatuers are fresh before sunrise, others use only a t-shirt this time of year.
Seleepingbag has to be very thin if you plan to use one, else it will be better to use a silk cocoon - inner silk bag to sleepingbags.

Be aware that this time a year it can become extremely hot so do have extra focus on hydration.

Buen camino
Lettinggo

Hola

You may want to look into lodging booking homepages and apps for smartphones such as booking.com or hotel.com if you want to be sure about lodging for a night.
Else just arrive at the albergue - hostal for pilgrims - and hope there are room.
The passport is called a credential and you can continue using the same next time you walk. It never expire.
Last week the temperatures around madrid was +35 degree Celcius, so you do not need warm cloth.
Some pilgrims use soft shell jackets in the morning as temperatuers are fresh before sunrise, others use only a t-shirt this time of year.
Seleepingbag has to be very thin if you plan to use one, else it will be better to use a silk cocoon - inner silk bag to sleepingbags.

Be aware that this time a year it can become extremely hot so do have extra focus on hydration.

Buen camino
Lettinggo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Lettinggo
Thank you for your advice and answering all of my questions. Perfect! I have downloaded the Camino accommodation app and hope to buy a SIM card for my phone when I arrive in Madrid.
I have a 2 litre water bladder and will take an additional 2 x 1 litre bottles for longer days. I have both a silk cocoon and thin sleeping bag- I get cold easily and like the heat, but I will remember your advice to keep hydrated.
Muchos gracias
Ka kite
Tikitour

Kia ora, Kas,
I haven't walked the VdlP so have nothing much to add - except to say welcome to the forum, and buen camino!
Oh....and don't forget sunscreen and hat. The sun down there has power, even this time of year.

It will be getting cooler in October.
You will not need to book any accommodation as all albergues should be open and there is only you. Hotel Simon in Sevilla has been recommended. We couldn't get in there because we were in Sevilla at Easter and it was booked out.
Gronze.com is an excellent site for accommodation. There are some good apps eg Via de la Plata basic. It is free. Also the eroski Camino app.
This is a wonderful Camino. Enjoy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Would I be able to use the same 'passport' another year
Yes. Besides showing evidence for qualifying for a compostela, it is good for entrance into albergues, and you are considered a pilgrim in perpetuity with your credential.

Will a light sleeping bag be sufficient?
It likely will still be hot/warm in September, so you should not need a heavy sleeping bag.

Hi there,
I can only walk 3 weeks and have no expectations as to how far I will get. Obviously I won't be able to complete it in that timeframe- but that's fine. I will have to return. Would I be able to use the same 'passport' another year - to finish the VdlP? Or does the passport only last 1 year? What is the weather like this time of year? Do I need warm clothes and warm jacket? Will a light sleeping bag be sufficient?
Cheers, Kas.
Hi Kas - Alan from Australia here, I start on Sept 16th but only going to Orrison on my first day so may catch you somewhere. Walking with my cousin and her husband.

Hi Alan, I'm walking the Via de la Plata from Servile , so may not see you. . Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Kas, I have started a PM (private conversation) with you. As a fellow Kiwi and VdlP-afficionado, I can help you with any questions you have. I’ve sent you my phone number.
You don’t need to pre-book albergues at that time of year but you could pre-book a pension in the cacso antiguo (old town) in Sevilla for you night(s) there. Plenty to choose from and you’ll be right in the action and near the Cathrdral to set off in the morning. I’d recommend staying in Sevlla rather than Triana if you’re only in Sevilla for a day or 2. It’s a lovely feeling to start your camino from the door of the Cathedral with St James overlooking your first steps.
With luck you’ll meet up with my 2 cousins leaving the same day !
Buen camino, Grace

Thank you Grace for all the help you gave me before we began our Camino this year. Being in Sevilla for Semana Santa was amazing. We all loved our walk. It was beautiful. Thanks.

There is no expiration on the credential...however it is usually a good idea to pick up a second copy to insure you have adequate space to collect sello as you wish.
Many people cleverly attach the added sello spaces to the original so that is still just one ( but bigger) credential.

The sellos are a cherished souvenir and reminder of where and when you were each day/night. The last 100km sellos are the only ones that are required to receive a Compostela in Santiago.

It is a very good idea to add your email address on your credential. If you lose it or leave it somewhere along the way....you will stand a very good chance of being reunited with it. A finder will almost always send you an email but not be excited to make an often international telephone call.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,
Cheers, Kas.
Don't go it alone. Hook up with some other pilgrims at the beginning and hang with them. Last year, I walked from Leon to Santiago in two weeks, so backward map for another week. You could start out in Saint Jean and walk a week, then take transportation to Leon and do the last two weeks. Next year, do what you don't do this trip. I doubt you can carry over km's from one year to the next.

Kia ora, Kas,
I haven't walked the VdlP so have nothing much to add - except to say welcome to the forum, and buen camino!
Oh....and don't forget sunscreen and hat. The sun down there has power, even this time of year.

Kia Ora and thanks for the encouragement - I appreciate it. I'll pick up some sunscreen when I get there. Never realized there was so much support out there.

Don't go it alone. Hook up with some other pilgrims at the beginning and hang with them. Last year, I walked from Leon to Santiago in two weeks, so backward map for another week. You could start out in Saint Jean and walk a week, then take transportation to Leon and do the last two weeks. Next year, do what you don't do this trip. I doubt you can carry over km's from one year to the next.

Thanks for your concern and feedback. I have already made up my mind and am set on doing the VDLP. If I meet pilgrims along the way or at the end of the day, then that's great. If I don't, then it isn't meant to be. I will be happy with however it turns out.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It will be getting cooler in October.
You will not need to book any accommodation as all albergues should be open and there is only you. Hotel Simon in Sevilla has been recommended. We couldn't get in there because we were in Sevilla at Easter and it was booked out.
Gronze.com is an excellent site for accommodation. There are some good apps eg Via de la Plata basic. It is free. Also the eroski Camino app.
This is a wonderful Camino. Enjoy.

Thanks Sharon, I appreciate your feedback. It's good to know when it gets booked (for next time). I will check out those apps you have recommended. This journey gets better and better with all this unexpected support. Thanks again. Kas

Hi Kas, my sister and I are Kiwis and new to this too. We are arriving in Sevilla on the 26th September and planning on leaving for our first Camino on Sunday the 1st October. We only have 2 weeks set aside this time but plan to go back and finish at a later date. Our cousin Grace has given me your phone number so no doubt we will catch up along the way. It is very exciting and a bit scary. All the best

Yes. Besides showing evidence for qualifying for a compostela, it is good for entrance into albergues, and you are considered a pilgrim in perpetuity with your credential.

It likely will still be hot/warm in September, so you should not need a heavy sleeping bag.

Thank you Falcon269, and I apologise for the tardy reply (I don't use social media so I had difficulty finding your post so I could reply. Some of the threads come up and others don't. haha). I appreciate your response and advice. Thanks again. Tikitour

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hola Lettinggo
Thank you for your advice and answering all of my questions. Perfect! I have downloaded the Camino accommodation app and hope to buy a SIM card for my phone when I arrive in Madrid.
I have a 2 litre water bladder and will take an additional 2 x 1 litre bottles for longer days. I have both a silk cocoon and thin sleeping bag- I get cold easily and like the heat, but I will remember your advice to keep hydrated.
Muchos gracias
Ka kite
Tikitour
Kia Ora Tikitour, Book your first night accommodation. Hostal Triana is Camino friendly as is Hotel Simon. Ensure that you keep your pack weight light. Two liters of water are ample and don't forget you can always knock on a house door if you run out. Remember one litre of water is one kilogram. You can supplement the water with a 500ml bottle of juice. Stages vary from 22 - 35km but with careful planning you'll be okay. Check out www.godesalco.com to assist with planning your stages. Also you can pick up a small lightweight guide from the tourist office. Just need to ask them for information booklet on the via de la plata. Take lots of breaks and enjoy. BTW I have walked this way three times and going again next April. It's very lovely and serene. My pack weight is roughly 12kg no more.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kia Ora Tikitour, Book your first night accommodation. Hostal Triana is Camino friendly as is Hotel Simon. Ensure that you keep your pack weight light. Two liters of water are ample and don't forget you can always knock on a house door if you run out. Remember one litre of water is one kilogram. You can supplement the water with a 500ml bottle of juice. Stages vary from 22 - 35km but with careful planning you'll be okay. Check out www.godesalco.com to assist with planning your stages. Also you can pick up a small lightweight guide from the tourist office. Just need to ask them for information booklet on the via de la plata. Take lots of breaks and enjoy. BTW I have walked this way three times and going again next April. It's very lovely and serene. My pack weight is roughly 12kg no more.

Kia Ora Handzondeck2,
Thanks a lot for your advice - it is very helpful. I wasn't sure about knocking on doors to ask for water (with so many people walking the Camino), so thanks for telling me - obviously I would only do it if I got desperate. I thought it was better to carry too much than not enough. And work out my quantities as I go.

I have Gerald Kelly's 2016 guide book but will checkout the site you mentioned and check the tourist office while I am in Servile. Is it necessary to get maps?

I think I can keep my pack under 7 kg's (I need to so I can take it as hand luggage on the plane) and will post some of it forward to Ivar.

I will definitely take it easy and enjoy it. Thanks again.

There is no expiration on the credential...however it is usually a good idea to pick up a second copy to insure you have adequate space to collect sello as you wish.
Many people cleverly attach the added sello spaces to the original so that is still just one ( but bigger) credential.

The sellos are a cherished souvenir and reminder of where and when you were each day/night. The last 100km sellos are the only ones that are required to receive a Compostela in Santiago.

It is a very good idea to add your email address on your credential. If you lose it or leave it somewhere along the way....you will stand a very good chance of being reunited with it. A finder will almost always send you an email but not be excited to make an often international telephone call.

Hello Grayland, Thank you so much for your response. I apologise for taking so long to reply - it has taken me this long to find your message again, and your response is much appreciated. I will certainly remember to put my email address on my credential - that is definitely something I would not have thought about. I will also buy two credentials at the start so I can keep those 'sello's' coming. I agree (even before earning one!) that the credential will be the most cherished souvenir I could bring back. Thanks again, Tikitour.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you all so much for your sound advice and wonderful support - it has been overwhelming. I never anticipated there was so much genuine help and assistance out there. It has been a hugely refreshing and positive experience and I can't thank you all enough. I thought I was reasonably well prepared - and now, I feel I am much better prepared with a lot of backup support from this awesome community. What ever comes my way on my journey, I know someone else has gone through it, and it's going to be fine. I anticipate some long hot days ahead but it sounds like it will be worth every step. Thanks again. Tikitour.

I wasn't sure about knocking on doors to ask for water (with so many people walking the Camino)
Just keep in mind that there are many long stretches with no doors! Or at least no doors with people inside. However, in October the weather probably won't be so hot.

Edited to add... Buen camino! You will have a great 3 weeks.

Just keep in mind that there are many long stretches with no doors! Or at least no doors with people inside. However, in October the weather probably won't be so hot.

Edited to add... Buen camino! You will have a great 3 weeks.

I will keep that in mind and be as prepared as I can as each presents something new. Many thanks. Tikitour.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Kia Ora Handzondeck2,
Thanks a lot for your advice - it is very helpful. I wasn't sure about knocking on doors to ask for water (with so many people walking the Camino), so thanks for telling me - obviously I would only do it if I got desperate. I thought it was better to carry too much than not enough. And work out my quantities as I go.

I have Gerald Kelly's 2016 guide book but will checkout the site you mentioned and check the tourist office while I am in Servile. Is it necessary to get maps?

I think I can keep my pack under 7 kg's (I need to so I can take it as hand luggage on the plane) and will post some of it forward to Ivar.

I will definitely take it easy and enjoy it. Thanks again.
Kia Ora Tikitour
No need to take a map unless you dowload it to your smartphone the way is well waymarked. You might have some difficulty navigating through the big cities but ask at the albergue for the best way and you'll be okay. Be sure to check out the Camino Resourse section for the accommodation guide. Word of advice if planning to walk all the way from Salamanca to El Cubo de Vino you will need to plan carefully as it is about 36km with no shade (unless you have breaks in the overpass tunnels) and very little water on the way.Otherwse it is a very lovely walk. Be prepared for lots of sun and of course what is a camino without rain. So prepare for both types of weather. Remember pack light and take heaps of rest stops on the way.

if planning to walk all the way from Salamanca to El Cubo de Vino you will need to plan carefully as it is about 36km with no shade
There is an albergue in Calzada de Valdunciel, 22 km after Salamanca, but it has only 8 places. There might also be a hostal. Then 6 km after Calzada there is a private albergue "Casa Saso" which I think is fairly new. It is about 100 m off the camino in a nice peaceful setting. There are clear signs to it, up the hill after the highway over/underpasses. Since it is a private albergue you might be wise to contact them if you are counting on being able to stop there. Click here for their website.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is an albergue in Calzada de Valdunciel, 22 km after Salamanca, but it has only 8 places. There might also be a hostal. Then 6 km after Calzada there is a private albergue "Casa Saso" which I think is fairly new. It is about 100 m off the camino in a nice peaceful setting. There are clear signs to it, up the hill after the highway over/underpasses. Since it is a private albergue you might be wise to contact them if you are counting on being able to stop there. Click here for their website.
Thanks for the recommendations, I really appreciate it. I will make a note of them but I'm not sure I will make it that far this time.

Kia Ora Tikitour
No need to take a map unless you dowload it to your smartphone the way is well waymarked. You might have some difficulty navigating through the big cities but ask at the albergue for the best way and you'll be okay. Be sure to check out the Camino Resourse section for the accommodation guide. Word of advice if planning to walk all the way from Salamanca to El Cubo de Vino you will need to plan carefully as it is about 36km with no shade (unless you have breaks in the overpass tunnels) and very little water on the way.Otherwse it is a very lovely walk. Be prepared for lots of sun and of course what is a camino without rain. So prepare for both types of weather. Remember pack light and take heaps of rest stops on the way.

Thanks Handzondeck2, your advice is great. Grace has given me the accommodation guide with her recommendations (as requested- but I appreciate that everyone will have their own recommendations, and that it sometimes comes down to who was there at the time). I don't think I will go past Salamanca, but I will note your comments for next time- just the sort of information I was after. I've decided that it's only going to rain at night - not that the Universe always listens - so I will be prepared for both. Lol.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi there,
I can only walk 3 weeks and have no expectations as to how far I will get. Obviously I won't be able to complete it in that timeframe- but that's fine. I will have to return. Would I be able to use the same 'passport' another year - to finish the VdlP? Or does the passport only last 1 year? What the weather is like this time of year? Do I need a warm clothes and warm jacket? Will a light sleeping bag be sufficient?
Cheers, Kas.

Well its lift off day. Not sure how I am feeling, tummy a bit of a mixture of butterflys and hunger. Not able to eat much this morning. We have a long flight ahead so thats going to be interesting. I dont usually travell this far from New Zealand. First of many to Spain I hope. The weather here is not that great so thats another bonus going into some warm weather. I am now a 2 post member but not sure how I will go once in Spain. Will deffinatley catch up with Kas in Seville and see where that takes us. Cheers to everyone out there in Camino land. Mandy and Sis Tracey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mandy & Sis.....Your fantastic Adventure has begun!!

Relax and enjoy every minute. Just let it happen each day.
It is all new and whatever you do or see or experience will be some of the most exciting days of your life.

Ha, three go mad on the camino. Given these intrepid kiwi females have gone quiet on this thread I assume they are all steadily plodding along the great wide expanse of the Vdlp.

Kas, Mandy and Sis - my thoughts are with you, wherever you are, have a great walk.

Ha, three go mad on the camino. Given these intrepid kiwi females have gone quiet on this thread I assume they are all steadily plodding along the great wide expanse of the Vdlp.

Kas, Mandy and Sis - my thoughts are with you, wherever you are, have a great walk.

Thanks Hel &Scott.
We haven't started yet. I'm sailing in Croatia and the two sisters arrive in Seville tonight from Granada.
It's getting closer. I'll try and keep the thread going but I expect I'll be a bit stuffed. Haha

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Hel &Scott.
We haven't started yet. I'm sailing in Croatia and the two sisters arrive in Seville tonight from Granada.
It's getting closer. I'll try and keep the thread going but I expect I'll be a bit stuffed. Haha
Go on rub it in why don't you, the rain has stopped here and I have to go bring the pigs in… it's a far cry from sailing in Croatia!

Go on rub it in why don't you, the rain has stopped here and I have to go bring the pigs in… it's a far cry from sailing in Croatia!
Hola folks.Tracey and I are getting very excited nervous as well.we are enjoying sevilla and head off on Sunday on our journey on Sunday. Sorry I havnt posted but having so much fun here in spain.

Finally on my way.
Thought I would take a detour so I could see the sun rise above Santiponce. Actually, it was my first hour on my first day - and yes, you guessed it (I was lost! Lol). In my defence it was 5:45am when I started out - not a lot of daylight and the signs weren't that easy to spot.
So, a short 2-3 km detour back on track, on top of a scheduled 23km day, ended really well. View changed from time to time (NOT!). Well, at least the people changed! Met an Aussie chick first who slowed - has had knee surgery this year, a German, then walked with a Brazilian with his border collie , who passed us in his jandals! I stopped for a drink and then caught up with 2 Spaniards Sergio and Ernesto, just before Guillena.
Funny thing, when I didn't need signs - because there was nowhere else to go(?) I saw heaps. Haha. It was pretty warm! 30 - 36 degrees depending on who's phone you were looking at.
Gorgeous quaint little town where there were 14 other 'peregrino's' at dinner.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Finally on my way.
Thought I would take a detour so I could see the sun rise above Santiponce. Actually, it was my first hour on my first day - and yes, you guessed it (I was lost! Lol). In my defence it was 5:45am when I started out - not a lot of daylight and the signs weren't that easy to spot.
So, a short 2-3 km detour back on track, on top of a scheduled 23km day, ended really well. View changed from time to time (NOT!). Well, at least the people changed! Met an Aussie chick first who slowed - has had knee surgery this year, a German, then walked with a Brazilian with his border collie , who passed us in his jandals! I stopped for a drink and then caught up with 2 Spaniards Sergio and Ernesto, just before Guillena.
Funny thing, when I didn't need signs - because there was nowhere else to go(?) I saw heaps. Haha. It was pretty warm! 30 - 36 degrees depending on who's phone you were looking at.
Gorgeous quaint little town where there were 14 other 'peregrino's' at dinner.
Hi Kas, I hope the weather is settling down as you move further North. What are your highlights from the first week? Buen camino Grace

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back