• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 1st week on Camino Francis May 2016

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
I am one week into my Camino - staying in Estella at the monestary. Wow what A challenge this has been thus far. Not only physically but just working through all the anxiety and fears of trying to figure out where I am, what I'm doing, and how to get what I need. This has proved to be a bit bigger of a experience than I anticipated. I walked the Pyrenees alone and it was spectacular! I have met several very nice people along the way and spend the evenings with a very nice couple from California. But today the dreaded chatter started in my head… why am I doing this? What am I doing here? What is the purpose of this? I am very tired this evening and very sore but I have a private room for this evening and will rest up and see how I feel tomorrow. I wished I would have listened to everyone who said pack a light! Of course I was going to do it my way and I did, and I have been dumping stuff every day for a week! Uggghhh...I need to learn how to follow directions better! Ha ha!
Some part of me feels like I'm walking for those who cannot...I feel blessed to be able to walk and I feel grateful for this opportunity but I also feel a bit homesick.
Here's my page if you want to check it out
http://angie-carter.com/camino/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Estella la Bella! Brings back found memories. You've done well to meet every challenge that the Camino has set you so far. Oooooh those blisters! Glad to see that you had them treated. Are you walking in the Hokas? They do have a hard band around the forefoot and I found that I needed to stretch them out for my wayward left small toe which I do with all my new boots.

Anxiety and fear is normal - you are alone and a long way from home. Homesickness is normal. Just breathe and keep walking. So glad that you got to experience the Pyrenees crossing, the view is a wondrous gift. Don't worry about the voices in your head. It's just idle chatter trying to fill the spaces between the Silence. They'll tire as well eventually and then you can just walk.

Sounds like you've learnt the lesson of less is more. We're all hard learners and want to do it our Way and the Camino just accepts this and lets us work it all out as we walk along. At least you've had the sense to lighten your load. Well done.

I wish you a restful night and pleasant dreams. The world is always new in the morning.

A Pilgrim Blessing
Macrina Wiederkehr

May flowers spring up where your feet touch the earth
May the feet that walked before you bless your every step
May the weather that’s important be the weather of your heart
May your prayers be like flowers strewn for other pilgrims
May your heart find meaning in unexpected events
May friends who are praying for you carry you along the way
May friends who are praying for you be carried in your heart
May the circle of life encircle you along the way
May the broken world ride on your shoulders
May you carry your joy and your grief in the backpack of your soul
May you remember all the circles of prayer throughout the world.

Good to hear of your progress Angie.

So you're having doubts. That's new ;)

All part of the experience I think..... you're going great.

There will be good days and bad days on your journey. But it's not too hard to turn bad days into good ones.

Here's what I did.

Everyday on waking, I thanked God, or whoever else you prefer, for keeping me going on the journey.

I promised to walk with an open heart and an open mind.

And I looked forward to whatever lessons were to be set before me.

One of the great morale boosters, it to help someone else. Or engage with someone else who is walking alone and might be in need of company and support. You'll be amazed at what transpires.

Look for positive experiences and ignore the negative ones and all of a sudden you don't really see the negative ;)

Oh. And hug a few awesome looking trees along the way! Long story :D

You're doing great!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've just had a look at your site and your photos are great... and bring back so many happy memories... and blister memories :confused: On my first camino I had to say goodbye to camino friends at Estella; I stayed an extra day to let my bisters heal. I bought new shoes there and also sent a box of gear on to Santiago... I started then with 2 short days and all was fine and I was on my way again.

I hope you're feet get better soon but it looks like you're having a great time and that you'll work through any jitters. :)

Good to hear you are on your way, Angie! Just take your time, and lighten your backpack as you need to. Yesterday I sent my sleeping bag, sweater, gloves and socks ahead to lose some weight as my back was hurting; today I crossed the mountains after Rabanal in a very chilly wind and rain! But I'm still glad I sent the clothes on, better to be a little cold than carry too much.
It's ok to have these ups and downs you're experiencing, this walk across Spain is a real challenge. Most people are sitting at home, and would be amazed (and perplexed!) by your courage and sense of adventure. Hang in there, you'll keep learning and so will I, and we'll both get better at these new skills we are learning. I was feeling low a few days ago, with a cold, and just tired out. Today was a challenging walk through the mountains, but so beautiful. I've learned so much the last month, and couldn't have without the hard times, as well as all the high times.
Keep us posted, and hang in there!

Good for you, Angie! Keep going! It will be my turn in 6 weeks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have you had any trouble finding space at albergues?

If you are not that religious about carrying your pack, why not ship your pack ahead. You will be surprised how much relief that would be physically.

I have downsized my pack three times since I've been here! So I think I'm good now, at least I hope so and if not I will certainly send my pack ahead. One thing that sticks out in my mind that I remember reading on the forum was a guy was telling women not to bring their make up, and that really kind of made me mad and I thought to myself to myself " well I'm bringing at least some of my make up! ".... today I threw out all my make up!! It's true nobody cares… And now I don't care! Ha ha! Have had no trouble whatsoever finding a bed but I call ahead one night in advance though. (Mainly been staying in private Albergues - 10 euros, except for tonight I am staying in the monastery, private room €35 )

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I find my body needs about one week - 10 days to fully adjust to the daily physical demand. It gets much easier afterwords. So, keep walking.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am one week into my Camino - staying in Estella at the monestary. Wow what A challenge this has been thus far. Not only physically but just working through all the anxiety and fears of trying to figure out where I am, what I'm doing, and how to get what I need. This has proved to be a bit bigger of a experience than I anticipated. I walked the Pyrenees alone and it was spectacular! I have met several very nice people along the way and spend the evenings with a very nice couple from California. But today the dreaded chatter started in my head… why am I doing this? What am I doing here? What is the purpose of this? I am very tired this evening and very sore but I have a private room for this evening and will rest up and see how I feel tomorrow. I wished I would have listened to everyone who said pack a light! Of course I was going to do it my way and I did, and I have been dumping stuff every day for a week! Uggghhh...I need to learn how to follow directions better! Ha ha!
Some part of me feels like I'm walking for those who cannot...I feel blessed to be able to walk and I feel grateful for this opportunity but I also feel a bit homesick.
Here's my page if you want to check it out
http://angie-carter.com/camino/

When you are wacked and out of your comfort zone it is so easy to be a tad depressed at the end of the day and you are without company tonight .........Hey!! Tomorrow you may feel much better!;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Don't worry about the voices in your head. It's just idle chatter trying to fill the spaces between the Silence. They'll tire as well eventually and then you can just walk.
Lots of good advice here but Meri nailed it. Let the voices chatter away in the background...but don't feed them by paying too much attention. You're in a gorgeous part of the Camino, so there are a lot of other wonderful things to bring into the foreground!
There'll be up days and down days and days when you question your sanity. Things real so real and so direct on the Camino...not to worry...this is more normal than what we usually think of as 'normal' and so it takes a bit of getting used to.
.... today I threw out all my make up!! It's true nobody cares… And now I don't care!
Woooo hoo, Angie, way to go!! Freedom day.
You go, girl!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, love reading your link and looking at your photos. I land in Madrid on Tuesday, but won't start walking until Thursday morning from SJPP. I feel encouraged just reading your blog. Taking care of the feet. YES! My pack is at 12 pounds and I feel like that might be too much. Maybe I'll lighten as I go too. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for writing this Angie. I leave in one week for MAdrid and will start in Burgos. The chatter has already started a bit. I'm excited but am also very aware of the unknown that lies ahead.

Hi @Angie94, you are doing great! I hope you get a good night's sleep and wake up with renewed energy tomorrow. If not, you could maybe take a rest day or walk a really short distance.

Some days are lonelier and tougher than others, especially when you're walking on your own. And I think it takes most people a while to get into a Camino 'groove' where the daily routine just carries you along and the negative thoughts and worries settle down. Remember, one step and a time..... this is all part of your great journey.

I smiled when I read your comments about getting rid of excess baggage. On our first Camino, my husband and I threw away some stuff and posted over 3kgs home when we reached Puenta la Reina. I've got better at packing since then, but I still haven't quite mastered the art of packing light. I'm heading out again in a few days time and there's an enormous pile of stuff sitting on the spare bed, waiting to be packed!

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good to hear of your progress Angie.

So you're having doubts. That's new ;)

All part of the experience I think..... you're going great.

There will be good days and bad days on your journey. But it's not too hard to turn bad days into good ones.

Here's what I did.

Everyday on waking, I thanked God, or whoever else you prefer, for keeping me going on the journey.

I promised to walk with an open heart and an open mind.

And I looked forward to whatever lessons were to be set before me.

One of the great morale boosters, it to help someone else. Or engage with someone else who is walking alone and might be in need of company and support. You'll be amazed at what transpires.

Look for positive experiences and ignore the negative ones and all of a sudden you don't really see the negative ;)

Oh. And hug a few awesome looking trees along the way! Long story :D

You're doing great!

This says it all! Thank you Robo, could not have said it better

Keep going Angie!

Ultreia!

Davey

Thinking of you Angie and we are I are praying for you. My sister and I leave on our first Camino in four months time. Stay strong. Hilary and Caroline

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Angie94, pleased to read that you are under way.

Some times it can be useful to address the concerns of why you are on your pilgrimage, to turn th the the issues over in your mind as you walk.

Kia kaha (be brave / strong)

I'm really envious! If you have blister problems look out for the man under the stairs in the hostel at Santo Domingo - he sorted my feet. After that I found it best to walk in sandals. If it were too easy you wouldn't get the satisfaction of having done it! I hope you find good friends along the way. The Franciscan hostel at Tosantos was a highlight for me. I prayed there for a walking companion who wanted to find love - recently went to her wedding and met her baby boy! Prayer answered! It's a wonderful time of year to walk, beautiful wild flowers! And storks! I walked in memory of Amy, a student who died from cystic fibrosis in her first term at uni. She would have loved to be able to do it. Keep going! Many blessings!

Hi Angie, I'm almost to Sarria. I freaked out about cosmetics too. Didn't bring any and happy I didn't. I have a lite pack and am very happy with that. And I still have a few little things I haven't used yet. May your blisters heal.
And may you find Camino magic every day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Angie, you cannot be that far behind me. I am in Navarette tonight.

Hi Kanga. I have always loved your posts and did not realise you are on the Camino again. We kiwis arrived in Santa Domingo today. I bussed from Najera today due to a dodgy knee but my husband did it the hard way. I will look out for you because I am sure you will catch us 2 oldies.

Look forward to that! I'm in Haro tonight, took a side trip, but will be back on the CF tomorrow.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Angie,
You are doing very well!
And your blog is really nice to read.
Head up and keep going... You are on the right way!
Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

Hi Angie,
Remember that no matter what, you Are walking the walk. Physically, mentally emotionally and I bet spiritually. Yeah for darn sure it is a challenge, but you have the hard part over by now. You have made it to Spain and you are walking, your body and mind are adjusting so keep on one step at a time. You Will Not regret this experience, ever!!!!
Vaya Con Dios & Buen Camino
Aidan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back