• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 lumbar packs - OK idea?

Leigh Macklin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances {2016}, Portugese {2017}, CdN {2019},
Heya folks,

Due to successful treatment using surgery and radiation, I have some skin that simply CANNOT tolerate straps from my favorite backpacks. On my past 3 caminos I used a Gregory Z30, but only carried 20L max at a time. My preference is to carry my stuff. However ... I could walk with my Gregory Miwok 12L (least painful) and send the rest ahead if necessary.

What do you think about wearing a 13 L and a 6 L lumbar pack at the same time?

Thanks for any insights. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Heya folks,

Due to successful treatment using surgery and radiation, I have some skin that simply CANNOT tolerate straps from my favorite backpacks. On my past 3 caminos I used a Gregory Z30, but only carried 20L max at a time. My preference is to carry my stuff. However ... I could walk with my Gregory Miwok 12L (least painful) and send the rest ahead if necessary.

Hola

I have no experience with lumbar packs so I cannot give you any other advice than to try it out.
In the end it is only you who can feel if it is okay - take a few walks to get a feel of it.

I hope this helps.
Lettinggo

No problem using a lumbar 13L or larger. A wide belt style with pack having points of attachment above and below for larger light items ( jacket ), add front pouch or two for small daily items, add water bottle holster. Avoid double belting, hanging a pack 'out back' creates annoying cantilever pressure.
I will spend all day using a lumbar pack, feeling more agile and less fatigued than using a shoulder pack of the same cargo weight.
The season you Camino is a bulk item factor that may necessitate a shoulder 30L, late fall and winter, in which case your Gregory has a wide belt that you can tighten up to carry the bulk, loosen off the shoulder straps, fabricate a 'tump line' to stabilize, add belt holster pouch and water bottle ( this system should be pre-Camino tested and adjusted ).
There are some interesting military lumbar packs out there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My question is - have you been properly fitted for a backpack? I ask because many don't get fitted and don't have a properly fitted backpack which leads to pain. I good backpack should have a hip belt and chest strap and if fitted properly - almost all of the weight should be on your hips. You should NOT have shoulder strain/pain or excessive back pain if your backpack is well fitted. So - I suggest going to a good outdoor sports store and have them properly fitted for a backpack. And try it on and walk around the store with 10-15 pounds of weight in it and see how it feels.

If you have been properly fitted and it still is a problem - I would get the bigger lumbar pack and fill it and walk around with it and see how it works. And try it again with double packs if you would like. I would imagine the second pack wouldn't sit quite right though and might create more pain from not being properly situated. But still worth a try.

Worst case - you can send your pack ahead depending on route.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Heya folks,

Probably not.

From my distant memory of ‘aggressive camping’ in the army, any substantial load on the belt was alleviated by a ‘yolk’; a set of braces really. That transfers the weight to the shoulders, which is not what you want.

On my first Camino one of my ‘day for day’ companions, thankfully downwind due to personal hygiene issues, shipped his bag and carried his daily needs in his hand in a supermarket carrier-bag, so there’s a solution out there for you somewhere.

Not sure if the guy himself was on the forum or the link was just posted here... Anyways, there are examples of people using just a lumbar pack for their camino:

(and yes, the packing style is pretty extreme...)
He is a member here, but hasn't posted in years. Here's one of his posts: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/super-light-camino-gear.41075/

€149,-
Go on YouTube and check out the Me2-Strapless backpack.
Worth a look
I was intrigued, so I found the website, which also has the video on it. Unfortunately, I don't see anyplace to buy one.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.