• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 more weeks...last random questions (hopefully)

Sore Neculai

Time of past OR future Camino
17. 04. (2015 )
Hi my dear pilgrims. Have some questions since I´m soon (17 april from pamplona) to leave and have to decide how to make my backpack lighter.

1.what if a take a flleece super light blancket instead of a sleeping bag?it´s much easier and I plan on sleeping with lots of clothes if it gets cold inside.

2. bed bugs?what kind of dimensions?do I really have to cary a bug spray? as long as they´re not bigger than a 1 euro cent coin....have no problem....even like 2 euro cent coins bugs are ok...for me....

3.I have tiger balm...do I have to carry other kind og lotion for muscle sores?

4.any phone app that can replace the need of carrying a paper guide?

5.buying my credential/pass directly from pamplona.good idea?

6.is it stupid to carry 1 or 2 really basic (one use only) rain ponchos?I have a cover for my backpack and I have a waterproof jacket and...if one rain poncho gets ripeed , I have the other one or i can buy from any store in a city a new one.... Ijust want to say that maybe buying a huge poncho...the one that covers u and the backpack , takes a lot more space in the backpack that two plastic ones...each is smaller than my fists.

7.pamplona...walking stick /cane to buy... can I find easily one?

I think that´s it. I would be verythankful for some advices from you .

enjoy your day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi my dear pilgrims. Have some questions since I´m soon (17 april from pamplona) to leave and have to decide how to make my backpack lighter.

1.what if a take a flleece super light blancket instead of a sleeping bag?it´s much easier and I plan on sleeping with lots of clothes if it gets cold inside.

2. bed bugs?what kind of dimensions?do I really have to cary a bug spray? as long as they´re not bigger than a 1 euro cent coin....have no problem....even like 2 euro cent coins bugs are ok...for me....

6.is it stupid to carry 1 or 2 really basic (one use only) rain ponchos?I have a cover for my backpack and I have a waterproof jacket and...if one rain poncho gets ripeed , I have the other one or i can buy from any store in a city a new one.... Ijust want to say that maybe buying a huge poncho...the one that covers u and the backpack , takes a lot more space in the backpack that two plastic ones...each is smaller than my fists.

enjoy your day.

Hi Sore - I think it's generally compulsory for you to have a sleeping bag in the albergues, even if it's just a sleeping bag liner. I cannot recall ever seeing anyone having a problem because they didn't have one, but then I don't remember ever seeing someone who didn't have a sleeping bag. It might be best to at least take a sleeping bag liner just in case.

I didn't take bed bug spray, and I didn't have any problems with bed bugs during the Camino. I met a couple of people who did have problems with bed bugs - one at the Abadia Cisterciense albergue in Santo Domingo de la Calzada (I stayed there too, but didn't get bed bugs, so she was obviously unlucky with the bed she got) and one at a hostel in Astorga. If you need to get bug spray, get it if a problem arises, but I wouldn't necessarily take it with you. You would be unlucky to encounter bed bugs, but it does happen.

You should have no problem picking up a credencial in Pamplona. You should be able to get one from your albergue; failing that, the cathedral, the tourist office or the town hall should be able to help you out.

I didn't take a rain poncho - like you, I had a waterproof rain jacket and a waterproof cover for my backpack so I didn't think it was necessary, and it wasn't. If you want to take a rain poncho as well then by all means do so, but you may not need to.

I know I haven't answered all your questions, as I don't feel that I'm in a position to answer the others, but I'm sure other forum members will have answers to those. I'm sure they will also have their own views and experiences on the questions that I have answered.

Buen Camino!

In Pamplona, right by the Camino near the entrance to town (from the east) in CaminoTeca, http://caminoteca.com/en/.
You'll find walking sticks, and just about everything else you'll need. But if it is just a walking stick, you can find them all over.

I am in the 'no-poncho' crowd. A jacket and a pack cover is what I choose.
But if you like, you can buy one cheap along the way.

Buen Viaje.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are going to walk more caminos, and you will, purchase a good poncho like the Altus. I have gone for days in the rain. Wet feet, yes. Bottom of pants wet, yes. Everything else dry.

Happy Trails

You might check out the iphone app, Wise Pilgrim. Don't know if it works with android, but it's been improved and look like it could replace your guide book.

enjoy your day.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi! On rainy days I recommend wearing a waterproof parka, waterproof pants and gaiters. I bought a pair of Trekmates gaiters that are only 8 inches high, but high enough to keep water from running into my trail running shoes. If you are wearing boots, you may not need gaiters if your pants are long enough. A waterproof backpack cover will protect your backpack if you have to leave it outside when you go into a bar to get out of the rain. If you prefer a poncho, bring the backpack cover also. I'm departing from Burgos on April 19th, and I'm bringing only a polyester fleece bag liner, which is what I used last October starting at SJPdP. Several nights I got cold later in the night and used my bath towel, which was dry by then, for added cover. This time I'll also have a light down jacket that I can add. I don't consider myself a warm sleeper, but the walking must have increased my metabolism as I was never stayed awake due to being cold in bed.

Yes you can easily buy a stick along the way, or even pick up a branch from the roadside at some ponit.
As for bedbugs, they're nowhere near as big as a euro! They look like apple pips but are about half the size. That's what makes them so pernicious: they can hide! Just follow the advice on the various bed bug threads here on how to avoid them.
Your tiger balm should be enough as a muscle rub, but if not it's easy to buy something else in a pharmacy along the way.
In terms of losing pack weight, look at everything you are bringing and ask yourself honestly if it's essential.
Is your washbag made of heavy fabric? Put everything into a plastic ziplock bag instead. Are you carrying a leather wallet? Again, swap for a ziplock. If there's anything you envisage will spend more time in your pack than out, leave it at home. Don't bring face cream or body lotion, except for a high-factor sun cream. No make-up, just toothpaste and soap and a comb for hair (I brought a tiny bristle brush too, brushed thoroughly every night and never had to wash my hair - so no shampoo).
It's boring, but true, that a few grams lost here and there add up to an extra kilo you can leave behind.
You definitely sound ready for your Camino, though, and all this is just fine-tuning. Buen Camino!

Shalom Sore Neculai and greetings from Jerusalem!
Two quick thoughts-your questions are all very good and have been answered very well by those before me. 1). Spain is a modern European country and just about anything from wheat germ to micro-fibre towels are readily available just about anywhere. Should you discover that you have forgotten something indispensible you will find it there - tables in albergues are loaded with gear that pilgrims have decided are un-needed and have been left behind for others. 2). Some 250,000 pilgrims walked into Santiago de Compostela last year-the overwhelnming majority made it without TigerBalm and without bug spray. You can do this, you will enjoy this, if you allow it to happen the Camino will change your life.
A side note, you will meet pilgrims from all over, some with the latest from Jack Wolfskin or The North Face, maybe Scarpa boots you will hear the endless discussions Australians love over their boots, Altus ponchos; you will also meet people who cannot afford to sleep every night in an albergue, who choose canned food since its cheaper, walk in flat heeled worn out shoes - all will meet in Santiago. Your questions come from a good place, first and before all, believe that you can do this! The rest is easy. Buen Camino, Happy Passover, and Feliz Pascua!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
People were already reporting bedbugs in March and again just yesterday. They aren't like roaches - they get into your things and stay there, like lice, only harder to kill. They can and will infest your things and your home and are very, very difficult to get rid of (not to mention expensive) - and some people are highly allergic to the bites. So my advice is to take every precaution against them and THEN not to worry about it.
Last time I did the pack cover and rain coat thing. This time I am doing the poncho. Seems to me like the poncho people were much better covered.
I have a superlight sleeping bag. Last time I had a much heavier sleeping bag. I had it out every night even if I was just sleeping on top. It is well treated with permethrin so if nothing else as a barrier against the bedbugs. I started from SJPP at the same time of year you are - and it rained steadily for the first 3 weeks. You will find everything you need in Pamplona. Passport de peregrino, walking sticks, sellos, other pilgrims and directions. And you will have a lot of fun! Buen Camino!

Sore Nucelai,

April 17th will get you some lovely days, but also come coolish nights, and most likely days of rain. I have had Caminos with 1 single day of moderate rain, and another with nonstop rain and cold, day after day after day. That year I was glad I listened to my accupuncturist who said to me that being cold was one thing, but that being wet and cold was another. On his advice I brought rain pants with me for the first time, and replaced my "standard shape" poncho by with an Altus which has sleeves.

I always wonder if those who tell you you don't need good rain gear or a warmer sleeping bag than a liner have ever been on the Camino during a period with less than ideal weather. Because contrary to popular belief, while Spain is a modern country with all amenities, most of the areas you will be walking through are hamlets and small villages and small towns. And they will not have these things for sale. Some don't even have a local bakery or grocery store: a truck bring supplies in on scheduled days for people to buy. If you are in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga, etc. then yes, you will be able to find camping gear, but not everywhere and often not for days.

I now bring rainpants, my altus, a waterproof short rain jacket and a backpack cover. The last two are worn when there is a chance of rain, or when there is a just a light drizzle. The other two are stored on the top pocket of my backpack so they can be accessed in an instant. On my first Camino I brought one of the shorter ponchos you mention, inexpe0nsive, bought a a dollarshop type of store. It was not perfect, but it did the job, perhaps because it was only 1 day of rain - walking to Roncesvalles from SJPP - but it still got me a nasty cold I had to endure for days after that. This being said, I do not if if two of these lesser quality items will weight much less than an Altus, but if budget is a concern, then by all means, walk with these. Some people also bring large black plastic garbage bags to put over their heads.

Regarding a sleeping sack, until I got so cold in May of 2013 on CF I used to bring a sleeping back liner as well as a thin polysomething blanket, like the ones you get on airplanes. Very light, and even in warmer Caminos it was most welcomed, especially in albergues with no extra blakets. Something similar to this: http://www.4imprint.com/search/blanket/product/121368/Rally-Blanket-with-Pouch. So I think your idea is a good one, as long as the material is not bulky.

Bedbugs: the issue is not that they are big, on the contrary, it's that they are small: you will not see them, and they can get in your stuff and you will carry them with you from albergue to albergue. But please, do not carry bugspray. Just imagine who toxic albergues would get if everyone sprayed a little bit each evening upon arriving at the albergues. If you want, consider getting a liner that has been presprayed and spraying your backpack before leaving home. But be careful, and read instructions carefully. This is a toxic product after all.

I think just about everyone carries creams hoping they will help with muscle pain, but I have yet to find one that does. I enjoy applying Tiger Balm, in winter especially, but I don't think it has every done anything for me. Same thigs goes for Voltaren cream or gel (marketed in North American as Emugel). I have seen Germans with tubes of horsetail cream and have tried it, but effect? I just pop in a voltaren (antiinflammatory) and a muscle relaxant at night when going to bed. What I would not go without is vaseline or St-John's wart oil, or Vick's vapour rub, but your feet.

As for an app vs a paper guide, because I do not want roaming charges while still wanting access to a guide during the day I take pictures of the pages of my guide on my Iphone.

Finally, you can get your credential at the Jesus & Maria albergue in Pamplona when you check in. If you want peace of mind, just buy it on this Forum.

Hope this helps!

thank u all for your help.
I swear to u...the best community of people I met is the one on this forum. everyone is soooo helpful, nice and and really interested in giving the best advice.
is this maybe the effect of the camino?does this journey bring the best in people out of its pilgrims, or what?

thanks one more time

Most people I believe who generally are interested in this type of activity are very decent people. Kind, thoughtful and friendly. Of course you will get the odd few who are difficult to approach but that's life. I'd say this walk does bring out the good in people and i'm sure in many cases it can make people grateful for what they have instead of what they don't have :) It all depends on the individual on what that person wants to get out of the pilgrimage walk. The worlds your oyster!

enjoy your day.

Hi, Dan here.

I am not leaving for my Camino for a few months but I wish you well! You must be so excited as your departure is coming soon.

Buen Camino!

thank u all for your help.
I swear to u...the best community of people I met is the one on this forum. everyone is soooo helpful, nice and and really interested in giving the best advice.
is this maybe the effect of the camino?does this journey bring the best in people out of its pilgrims, or what?

thanks one more time

Sore - I've never come across as kind, open and mutually supportive group of people as the pilgrims I met on the Camino. It's extraordinary. You'll have a wonderful time!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my last camino from Lisbon I just took a silk liner for sleeping. I wash it before leaving and then sprayed with pyrethrum and hung it on the washing line to dry. I didn't have a problem.

enjoy your day.

I just took thin sleeping bag liner and fleece blanket. We sprayed all of our items with bug spray before we left U.K. just took thin light weight weather proof Mac. We chose to take no sticks, but lots of people did use them. Have a great time

Hi, hopefully not too late to advice you Sore.
1. Sleeping bag liner is definitely good, you will find blankets in most of the albergers. Sleeping in a lot of clothes is not good for your body imho, so better ask for a blanket or too if you feel cold :)
2. Don't be afraid of bed bugs. I have never encountered it on CF, and there are also strict rules about it - if they identify bugs in an alberge, it is closed.
3. I don't know what's Tiger Balm, but surely it's enough :D.

6. Walking sticks are one of the most important part of your equipment. Surely, you can get them in Pamplona, but better do your research before leaving home, so you know what you are buying .

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, hopefully not too late to advice you Sore.
1. Sleeping bag liner is definitely good, you will find blankets in most of the albergers. Sleeping in a lot of clothes is not good for your body imho, so better ask for a blanket or too if you feel cold :)
2. Don't be afraid of bed bugs. I have never encountered it on CF, and there are also strict rules about it - if they identify bugs in an alberge, it is closed.
3. I don't know what's Tiger Balm, but surely it's enough :D.

6. Walking sticks are one of the most important part of your equipment. Surely, you can get them in Pamplona, but better do your research before leaving home, so you know what you are buying .

Buen Camino!

I've never used walking sticks to walk. What's the benefit of using them?

TWO walking sticks increases your walking speed and takes some pressure off your feet. I can't cope with two sticks - I always take just ONE.
ONE stick is my "third leg" [*?*] which gives me rhythm and is invaluable when walking down rough pathways: it also gives a bit of 'push' when walking UP hill as well.
It's also useful to ward off annoying dogs, cats, peregrinos and vampires.
I'm off in a month's time, but can't take a stick on dear Ryanair, so will buy a cheap one when I arrive.
Buen camino, Nomad!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sore Neculai, welcome!

I took a lightweight sleeping bag in May on the CF and used it every night.
A pair of walking poles are a necessity. Don't worry about how dorky you may look. You want to make it to Santiago feeling great, don't you? And don't worry, you'll figure out how to use them by the end of day one. They give you power, they give you balance. They turn you from a two legged animal into a four legged animal - not necessary every step of the way, but when it is needed, boy oh boy!
Tiger balm, sweet. Use it if you want.
Bed bugs - Uh, do what you can do, but face the fact that you can't control everything.
In order of importance: Feet (good footwear and socks), knees (hiking poles), torso (backpack, rain gear - I used a rain jacket and a pack cover, hat, water, sleeping bag).

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
TWO walking sticks increases your walking speed and takes some pressure off your feet. I can't cope with two sticks - I always take just ONE.
ONE stick is my "third leg" [*?*] which gives me rhythm and is invaluable when walking down rough pathways: it also gives a bit of 'push' when walking UP hill as well.
It's also useful to ward off annoying dogs, cats, peregrinos and vampires.
I'm off in a month's time, but can't take a stick on dear Ryanair, so will buy a cheap one when I arrive.
Buen camino, Nomad!

That's great! Personally for me i've never used walking sticks when walking long distances, so never really had thought about using them. Although this will be the longest walk i've done. So maybe I should consider sticks..? I'll come to a decision pretty soon considering I'm walking in 22 days time. Excited !! :)

Buen Camino :)

That's great! Personally for me i've never used walking sticks when walking long distances, so never really had thought about using them. Although this will be the longest walk i've done. So maybe I should consider sticks..? I'll come to a decision pretty soon considering I'm walking in 22 days time. Excited !! :)Buen Camino :)
Just a thought - why not try one before you depart? Save maybe wasting money when you get there.
Use a proper one - telescopic sort with strap. When not needed they can be collapsed down and put in your backpack [just about ]
I've just booked my first night's stay in Sant Carles de la Rapita on April 27th!!! Hooray!

I've never used walking sticks to walk. What's the benefit of using them?
Well, many pilgrims don't use sticks, because you CAN do the Camino without them. But for me, there are definitely few reasons why I use them even for short walks back in my country.
1. Walk with sticks is much more balanced movement, you do not overuse legs and do not overdevelop some muscle parties, while other muscles and parts of your body stagnate.
2. Gives some rhythmic to your walk, helps you to keep some pace.
3. From long term, it's good for knee and other joint protection. I am young ,and do not have problems with my body, but I also do long distance trial runs and I want to keep my joints and body working well for a long time... so if you do not think about Camino only, use sticks. Your body will thank you many years later ;).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
On the Frances I was glad to have them when have to propel myself over mud puddles and get more balance when walking over rocks over a stream. On el Norte there are times I would not have made it without them. There was even a moment when I said to myself that if the engineers who put together my ultralight carbon poles got it wrong I would die. They didn't snap! Down the hill from Zenarruza and again going up the Brusco. This being said, there were many times that I felt they were useless, even embarassing to have them out. Learn to use them properly, and consider Pacer Poles that have a very different grip, a grip that actually makes you push backwards to propel yourself as you walk. Will be using mine for the first time NEXT MONTH!!!!!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.