• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 Newbies beginning in St. Jean on Sept 9

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to put some feelers out there for who will be beginning the Camino in September. A friend and I will be traveling from the States to Paris and then taking the train down to St. Jean to begin Thursday morning the 9th. I am a Seminarian for the Diocese of Arlington, VA and a Chaplain Candidate Officer for the US Navy/Marine Corps. I am taking a year off of formation to work in a Parish (and do the Camino). My buddy is a former seminarian, still discerning God's call, but looking for a job in the process of doing that.

Any one else planning on starting on or around the 9th? Any advice to first timers?

I am still working on getting the supplies, but any suggestions on Shoes and Socks, and money issues (how much will be spend on the trail this time of year...is bottled water expensive?)

Thanks everyone...God Bless..

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
totustuusmaria2013 said:
Any advice to first timers? is bottled water expensive?
One quick way to save money: the tap water is fine- and if you carry a couple of bottles, you can just fill them up each day...
Make sure your shoes are well worn in before you start is one other piece of advice!
All the best,
Margaret

A suggestion on the shoes: Trail running shoes (not street running shoes - select those specifically designed for trails). Sports Authority, Dicks Sporting Goods and REI or various running stores in the States have a good assortment of these. Would advise against Gortex shoes as they do not breath; your feet will be too hot with Gortex and the blister factor will be greater.

Boots are overkill and will only weigh down foot movement. There are relatively few areas where they would be of any benefit, particualrly this time of year. (There are those who disagreee and believe that boots are preferable as they provide better ankle support. However, the tread on the running shoes helps to grip the trail, minimizing awkward ankle movement.)

Yes it is good to break shoes in before beginning the Camino. Break in for running shoes is generally walking a total of about 50 miles, preferably only a few miles at a time until they are broken in.

Socks: Again at stores mentioned above you'll find a wide selection. You may want to avoid all cotton socks as they lead to blisters. There are many synthetic blends from which to select. They'll specify wicking ability and things like that in the packaging.

One valuable practice I've established over many years of distance running and hiking: Before you put your shoes and socks on in the morning, smother your feet in Vasolene. Really, really glob it on then put your socks and shoes on. This more than anythng will eliminate chaffing thus preventing blisters.

As for water it is true that tap water is sutable for most people and I never heard of any problems. However personally in general I seem to historically have difficuty adjusting to food and water in Spain therefore drank only bottled water. It is available along the entire Camino and is relatively inexpensive, maybe about 1 Euro for a 1.5 liter bottle.

The Camino is a powerful eperience. It might just draw your friend right back to the Seminary!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I am also starting from St Jean on Sept 9, having an easy first day by staying at Orisson, and then on to Roncesvalles, etc. I am staying L'Esprit du Chemin in St Jean. I am from Australia, with a red backpack and white hair, and might be considered elderly by cheeky young people, such as anyone under 70. Maybe we will meet. David. PS I am not religious, but maybe spiritual

Hi there,

We walked the CF this past Spring. We live in Annandale (also in the Arlington Diocese) and would be happy to meet and discuss our experience and offer advice to newbies! You can post here or send a private message by clicking on "username" then "private message".

Buen Camino!

Palma

Hello totu..........maria,
The thing about shoes/boots/socks/water etc. is that we all have our different opinions probably because different things work for different people. After I walked in 2003 I strongly recommended boots because there were several places where thick, gooey mud (with no way to go around) went right up to the tops of them. Since then however, those stretches have been mostly paved over so mud is not the problem it was.
I still wear a pair of light leather boots because I have them but I don't really think they're necessary, although sometimes going downhill I do like the ankle support. But they are hot and certainly heavier than necessary. Contrary to the advice given above which works for many people, my feet hate synthetic socks. I've tried various types of the so called wicking ones but my feet burn and are really uncomfortable in them. So I wear a very finely-woven cotton sock and that seems to work for me. I've walked twice from SJPP and so far haven't had any blisters. But they might not be right for you.
So - the bottom line is that you need to try a few things and see what works for you. The answers will depend on so many things (don't answer these for us - but do ask yourself)- how are your feet in general? how are your ankles? you're suddenly going to be about 20 pounds heavier with your pack - how will your feet and ankles feel about that? how's your weight in general? consider that it could rain for half of the time you are walking or more (of course it may not rain at all) - will your shoes work for that?
The choice between bottled and tap water is an individual choice but certainly the tap water seems to be as safe as tap water anywhere. I choose bottled water because I don't like the chemical taste of tap water but that's me being picky.
In the end you need to use your common sense on these and other issues but not overworry them. I went on my first camino knowing almost nothing and it all worked out wonderfully. If the things you have become uncomfortable the cities and towns have lots of stores (tolerated my first 'wicking' socks to Burgos and then bought cotton there - what a relief!). The advice available now is wonderful but can be overwhelming. Trust that you know what's best for yourself to start and if you need to adjust something it is relatively easy to do so.
Muy buen camino.
Cecelia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!

Wonderful information. I appreciate the kindness of your time. I am really excited about beginning in about 13 days now. David, we will keep an eye out for you. I have always wanted to go to Australia. It would be great to meet you.

I think I am going to try the Smartwool socks, with a good pair of liners. I did 10 miles today with a 25 pound pack, and wore a pair of short "no show" socks. Mistake number one...blister number one. I should have known. I laughed at myself when I noticed it. I am such a rookie.

The water deal sounds about right. I think ill try the tap, but the bottles do not seem too expensive either. I have a Camelbak..would any of you suggest to have one of those?

Also - Obviously I am Catholic. Are their Churches in every town that offer masses in the evenings? I know there is one in Santiago, but I would like to keep up my normal daily routine of going. Just curious. I have not been able to find a good site that has the times and places.

Thanks!

Wonderful information. I appreciate the kindness of your time. I am really excited about beginning in about 13 days now. David, we will keep an eye out for you. I have always wanted to go to Australia. It would be great to meet you.

I think I am going to try the Smartwool socks, with a good pair of liners. I did 10 miles today with a 25 pound pack, and wore a pair of short "no show" socks. Mistake number one...blister number one. I should have known. I laughed at myself when I noticed it. I am such a rookie.

The water deal sounds about right. I think ill try the tap, but the bottles do not seem too expensive either. I have a Camelbak..would any of you suggest to have one of those?

Also - Obviously I am Catholic. Are their Churches in every town that offer masses in the evenings? I know there is one in Santiago, but I would like to keep up my normal daily routine of going. Just curious. I have not been able to find a good site that has the times and places.

Many but not all towns have churches along the way. The Camino map published by John Brierly and probably other maps and guides provide locations of churches. Unfortuntely many are kept locked and do not have a daily Mass. I found no way of determining this in advance. Reasons I was told many were closed was that maintenance was too expensive, there was a rising rate of vandalism and theft of church property, or some were closed due to a shortage of priests to service them.

The good news is that in places where Masses are celebrated daily, they are often scheduled in the evening making it convenient to the day's walking schedule.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Newbies,
A couple of suggestions for you:
1. The Pilgrim Office in St Jean may have some information re Masses along the Camino, or else enquire at each night's accomodation about churches at your next nights stop.
2. Water. My opinion is that your health is a priority, but from information I have from other past pilgrims, water from the fountains along the way is very good quality, except in Galicia, but others say it is good all the way. I think a consideration should also be the environment. Plastic is derived from oil, and the bottles themselves are seldom recycled.
A comment - your packs seem heavy and if possible think twice about every item and consider whether it is really necessary. I have met ex Pilgrims who have done 2 or more Caminos and their pack weighed less each time. One lady I met managed with only 14lbs. Buen Camino David

I will be heading off from SJPD on Monday 13 September, so a few days behind you, and like David will be staying overnight at Orisson on Day 1. I'm also white haired and sporting a red back pack but won't be mistaken for David cos I'm a female Aussie. My walking mate Judy is more of the 'grey-haired' variety. You never know, we just might meet up on the way.

Jeanne

All the best to all you Aussies walking soon, most in Sept. May the weather be kind, blisters few and blessings many. I'm envious and can't wait for our next camino. Buen camino. Carole

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi again Newbies,
Just another thought about your feet.... try to pay attention to them and if you do feel a 'hot spot' take your shoes/ boots off and tend to the hot spot right away. Put a bandage or blister pad or something over it before it even turns into a blister if you can.
Other things that have been previously mentioned: make sure your socks fit well so they're not slipping around in your shoes; make sure your socks have no soap in them - rinse well; consider rotating a couple of pair of socks each day - especially if it is sunny and you can hang the pair you're not wearing on your pack in the sun; consider taking your shoes/boots off for a few minutes when you sit down for a break (obviously not if you're in a restaurant). There are lots of little suggestions that can help to keep your feet blister free - such as the one above about rubbing creme on your feet. I use a lavender creme because lavender is reputed to have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Oh yes - and one more thing - don't get a pedicure right before you go. Apparently having the skin scraped off the bottom of your feet just before you go on a 7 or 800 km walk is not a good idea.
Cecelia

Yes, I, too, have heard that hard skin is good!

So, I have been very careful to keep my hard skin for the last 6 months or so! :)

Hello Totustuusmaria. I just wanted to say that considering the time of the year you will be walking, I personally would advise you using Goretex (sorry Markss). After all, the hot weather is almost over, or should be by the time you begin and you will probably get more rain + mud. I have walked in Goretex boots each time and only the first 8 day trial run 3 years ago, when we left without any information whatsoever, did I get blisters. On my last two walks (620 kms in 2008 and then Roncevalles/Santiago last year) I had no feet problem whatsoever. As far as mass is concerned, it's often problematic! Some Alberges kindly post the mass times, some churches post their mass times, but not always. We tried as much as possible to attend mass whenever there was a possibility, as for me, it was an essential part of my Pilgrimage, but it can be very frustration sometimes, especially on Sat. evenings or Sundays, to find that the village that you happen to be in at that moment only offers mass, say 6 hours later, or you arrive in a village only to see people just coming out of the church! I remember having a discussion with a group of priests who had gathered for a lunch in one of the restaurants along the way. I asked them why it wasn't possible to co-ordinate between them to post a list of the various masses, PLUS the ones in the next coming villages. One of them simply raised his hands and said that for him it wasn't necessary, because in any case, the Camino doesn't pass through his Parish!
Maybe you reach Rabenal before 30th Sept and if so, please drop in and say hello. Adriaan and I will be hospitaleros there from 15th Sept to 1st Oct. We will then continue walking to Santiago from there, but might jump over to the Camino Sanabrés after Ponferrada. Buen Camino! Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I also live in NoVa. I walked in 2008 and knew very little about hiking gear beforehand. I looked for boots at REI and LLBean but found the sales staff at Hudson Trail Outfitters to be most helpful. There's a store in Fairfax and one, I think, at Pentagon Row, but I happened to be at the Rockville store. The sales guy asked about the terrain of the camino, distance to be walked each day, etc. looked at the shape of my foot and recommended a light weight Vasque boot and smartwool socks. He was very helpful and told me if the boots didnt' work out it was his fault for not fitting them correctly and not mine and to wear them for a month or two and then return them if necessary. They were perfect. I never had any problems. I would recommend them as taking care of your feet is the most important thing. Not sure if all of the stores' staff are that good or not. THis guy's name was Shannon and was at the rockville store. I thought of him every day of my walk as his advice was spot on. Someone else has suggested trying to get your pack weight down a bit and I would agree with that. People who had heavy packs tended to have more knee problems, swollen hands/feet, etc.

hola novices
seems like you've had advice on just abt everything and the kitchensink to boot! But perhaps you may want to consider an alternative to St J PdP as a starting place - also in the Pyrenees is Somport, abt 120 km to the east of Roncevalles as the crow flies - it is the beginning of the C Aragones (which takes in the St Juan de la Pena monastery, near Jaca) and I think you'll find it less crowded too - the C Aragones joins the C Frances just south of Pamplona - I did the C Aragones in Sept/Oct 06 and then jumped from Puenta de la Reina to the C dlPlata because I found the C Frances just too crowded.... even at that time of year.

buen camino at any rate !

Peter

My husband and I are planning to start on the 9th of S eot as well. Planning to "rough it" Are the hostels decent? How is food on the way?

Pilar Lazaro :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting from SJDP on 8th Sept, so will see many of you on the way. First night at Orisson. Feet are a worry, although I have not had any blisters. Plenty of sore feet but ok after a night's rest. Anybody had any news on bedbugs ? Agree with the comment about plastic bottles - there is enough non degradable rubble lying about already. At present working on getting weight of rucksack down.

Lovely atmosphere and food at Orisson when we went in July. We were there just to "test it out" and walked to Roncesvalles that weekend.

Now, we start next Sunday from Roncesvalles, having already done the first "bit"

Only one word of warning which may or may not apply to you. It was sleeping at the tent in Orisson where I was bitten by so many insects that I had 40 bites on one eyelid alone. The bites were so bad I was in despair on my return home.

Now I have equipped myself with every know anti-bite and after-bite remedy imaginable.

I read that some people attract biting insects more than others so I do hope you are not like me.

I am posting because I want you to take all necessary precautions if you think you might be affected.

But Orisson itself, you will definitely love!

Buen Carmino!

Hello Pilar,
Good luck on your Camino.
The hostels (alternately called "refugios" or "albergues")are variable. I found some exceptionally clean, most are adequate, and then there are a few that cry out for love and attention.

You can always retreat to a hotel for a good nights rest between sheets, and not have to listen to snoring.

Best wishes,
David, Victoria, Canada.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow...so many cool people we will be meeting. I am even more excited now. Looking forward to meeting all of those going.

One question I came across today...when carrying money (Cash), is it necessary to keep alot of it at a time? Has anyone ever been pick pocketed or mugged? I was in Italy a few times when I was working for Royal Caribbean and I had a few issues in Naples. Is Spain similar?

For the ones beginning on the 8th or 9th of September...we are flying into CDG (Paris) on the 8th, and taking the Train to Bayonne and then to SJPDP. Is a 8-9pm arrival too late? We are staying in the Gîte Ultreïa, then leaving the next morning for the long haul to Roncenvalles.

Jason

We never carried more than 100 euros at a time. Lots of ATM machines on the Camino but mostly in the mid and bigger towns. Few of the small towns have ATMs so I recommend you always take an advantage of the ATM when available. Also wear a money belt, hard for pickpockets. We had no problems the three months we were there. That said an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Buen Camino

Hi Totus,
There are Masses for Pilgrims in the larger towns, but unfortunatly the small villages have to share a priest quite often, and i never found one having a Mass. My Niece somehow contacted a Priest from Santander, a friend of a friend. He had a fold up Altar and followed us to several towns where we had some amazing Masses in some unusual places. We had traditional Latin Masses, very uplifting.
Once you get into Galicia, i noticed the churches were more unkempt and fewer and farther between.
Buen Camino
Tanya from Western Australia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good morning, afternoon, and evening everyone,

I am the second of the two newbies mentioned in the first post. Thanks for all the wonderful advice!
I look forward to meeting some of you along the way. Let's keep each other in prayer as we get ready for the Camino.

I have tried a couple of different shoes so far and the best for my feet--no arch and prone to issues--are brooks beasts walking/running shoes. Their soles are as tough as the Vibram soles found on other popular trail shoes and I don't fear that they will wear out. Did anyone else wear similar shoes along their journey?

Also, many of you have said that the water is fine out of the tap, but do any of you recommend bringing iodine purification tablets for questionable water? There are numerous purification systems from tablets to filters. Have any of you brought those, or do you think they are just extra weight?

God bless you all, and see you on the Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back