• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 questions: Dealing with Jet lag/Daypack?

Turning48

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to hike The Camino May/June 2017
Hi everyone, 2 questions, please:

1) I'm curious if anyone can share their experience of how they dealt with jet lag before starting their journey on The Camino? Did you give yourself a few extra days to recover before starting this and if so, how many? OR did you just deal with it more immediately and take off? If the latter, any issues? I fly out on a Friday night from the USA and will not arrive to SJPP until 7-7:30pm Sunday night - (USA- Paris - next day Paris to Biarritz then shuttle to SJPP). I wonder if I'm being too adventurous thinking I can start on Monday?

2) I am trying to keep my pack as light as possible, but I have a feeling I may choose to have it transported from time to time especially if it is really, really, hot out. I have also been debating if I should have it transported on what seems to be the most grueling day for some (and likely me!) - the 1st day from SJPP to Roncevalles. Thoughts?

As an aside, for the purpose above, I bought this day back for from REI today - I like it because it is very lightweight and it has a compartment for my Camelback bladder which seems critical: https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-co-op-flash-18-pack. But I'm still trying to be cognizant of everything I take with me with respect to weight and it's implications. I value everyone's opinion on this forum and I am open to your suggestions if I am thinking about things the right or wrong way.

Thank you everyone!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
1. If you have the time I would stay one more night in SJPdP. It's a lovely town and a visit to the pilgrim's office is a good place to start. You will likely be excited to get going so one extra night there should do it. I also broke up the first day on the Camino and stayed at Orisson. It's a nice spot and a fun place to meet lots of other pilgrims.

2. Of course everyone has their own opinion on carrying their pack but I prefer to keep mine light and keep it with me at all times. For example there have been times where I needed to change out my shoes mid day and I was very glad I had everything with me. Plus it's my life in a bag and I hate to let it out of my sight. There is bag transport available if you need it but why not see how you feel.

I'm also on the team that prefers water bottles over bladders since they are much easier to fill and also to see how much water you have left. There are lots of water fountains along the way.

A lot of it is really personal choice. Whatever works for you is what works.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Last year I flew into Madrid, arriving in the early evening and spent two nights there before taking the train to Pamplona. I spent the night outside of Pamplona, then traveled to St Jean the next day. I walked just to Orisson that first day - about 5 miles, so I had several days to get over my jet lag before taking on a longer walking day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If it were me I would book somewhere to sleep the first night in SJPDP, and book at Orisson (or Hunto) for the second night. I'm assuming you plan on walking the Route Napoleon (if not, then plan on staying at the albergue at Valcarlos).

That means you can have a very leisurely first day of walking, with a good late start, having spent a little time enjoying SJPDP. Orisson in only 8 km from SJPDP and Valcarlos (the other route) is about 12km.

I can't make decisions well when I'm jet lagged and sometimes too much hesitation leads to paralysis in new pilgrims. By knowing where you will be sleeping the second night you will have started your camino, be doing some walking (which is good for jet-lag), have a certain gaol and not have to make any major decisions.

1) I'm curious if anyone can share their experience of how they dealt with jet lag before starting their journey on The Camino? Did you give yourself a few extra days to recover before starting this and if so, how many? OR did you just deal with it more immediately and take off? If the latter, any issues? I fly out on a Friday night from the USA and will not arrive to SJPP until 7-7:30pm Sunday night - (USA- Paris - next day Paris to Biarritz then shuttle to SJPP). I wonder if I'm being too adventurous thinking I can start on Monday?

2) I am trying to keep my pack as light as possible, but I have a feeling I may choose to have it transported from time to time especially if it is really, really, hot out. I have also been debating if I should have it transported on what seems to be the most grueling day for some (and likely me!) - the 1st day from SJPP to Roncevalles. Thoughts?

As an aside, for the purpose above, I bought this day back for from REI today - I like it because it is very lightweight and it has a compartment for my Camelback bladder which seems critical: https://www.rei.com/product/892074/rei-co-op-flash-18-pack. But I'm still trying to be cognizant of everything I take with me with respect to weight and it's implications. I value everyone's opinion on this forum and I am open to your suggestions if I am thinking about things the right or wrong way.

Thank you everyone!!

1. I flew Vancouver to London Heathrow, London Stanton to Biarritz. I stayed at Stanton one night and SJPdP in a private room for two nights. Due to labor disruptions, I didn't get to SJPdP till quite late. The second night was not planned.

SJPdP is a pleasant place to spend a day getting yourself sorted out before starting. I found the park bench at the castle in SJPdP a pleasant place to nap, but not helpful to making the 8 hour internal clock shift.

I didn't get over jet lag till I started walking. By the time I got to Roncesvalles I wanted nothing but sleep ... never mind my internal clock ... I could barely keep my head out of my dinner. No problems after that.

2. Wear your pack. Its the only way you will get used to it. If it doesn't kill you it will make you stronger.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
First time I stayed a night in Paris. Then a night in sjpdp before starting.

I wouldn't be able to hang out in sjpdp for a day watching others head up the hill :oops:

Second time we had a couple of nights in Madrid.

Wearing your pack lightly loaded will give you a good idea of how it feels and what you are able to carry. Go for a walk of a few miles and see how you feel. You will also learn, as you pack, if the size will hold all your gear.
Happy packing and walking.

(...)
I prefer to keep mine light and keep it with me at all times. For example there have been times where I needed to change out my shoes mid day and I was very glad I had everything with me. Plus it's my life in a bag and I hate to let it out of my sight. There is bag transport available if you need it but why not see how you feel. (...)

Ditto :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In very hot weather I have used bag transport services by taking the waterproof liner out of my backpack and using it as a sack for the transport, and carrying the almost empty backpack. (I can then fill up the second Platypus soft water bottle I have been hoarding for just such a purpose)

In changeable, cold or wet weather I don't use transport and carry my full backpack (36 litres 8-9 kg - so not massive) using the liner as a liner, as I need the flexibility to add or take off clothing, and I need the waterproofing of the liner.

By my method, I am never committed to either using or not using bag transport - I can just look at the weather forecast the night before. Nor do I rely on those useless elasticated rain covers or need a separate day bag.

The liner is a Sea to Summit Ultra-sil dry bag which weighs nearly nothing. They are best bought several litres larger than your backpack (they do bags up to 35l and a 50l pack liner). You could write your cellphone number and email on it with a marker if you were worried it might get lost by the transport. I also have a small separate one for my cellphone and passport.

Can't comment on specific Camino jet lag, but I trust @Kanga - she knows her onions.

Last edited:
First time I stayed a night in Paris. Then a night in sjpdp before starting.

I wouldn't be able to hang out in sjpdp for a day watching others head up the hill :oops:

Second time we had a couple of nights in Madrid.
"I wouldn't be able to hang out in sjpdp for a day watching others head up the hill :oops:" Yes that would be torture for sure.

"I wouldn't be able to hang out in sjpdp for a day watching others head up the hill :oops:" Yes that would be torture for sure.
My older brother is a very seasoned world traveler and he warned me continuously about jet lag, etc. So I am flying from Chicago getting to CDG around 230pm. My train doesn't leave until 830 am the next morning so I booked a room in Paris for the night. The following morning I'm off to Le Puy via train/bus and have two nights booked in Le Puy. I think these extra rest days will help me immensely. BTW I am sure a lot of you have heard of Airbnb which is a site that offers, rooms, b &b's all over the world. They are great. I think my Paris room is $40 and the Le Puy is about $23 per nite... hosts are screened and monitored.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Turing48 - I haven't always taken the afternoon and night after the flight to rest, but it really helps. I like the Hotel Delambre in Montparnasse - it has become my favorite place to stay in Paris. It's about 3 short blocks from Gare Montparnasse for the train ride southward the next day. Eating in the creperies, visiting Hammam Pacha, hiking to the Jardin de Luxembourg and the major museums, seeing the catacombs and the Cimetiere Montparnasse, etc., are a great way to start or end a Camino. The newer iDTV train options (low-cost sncf tickets) are very quiet if you choose the "ZEN" option, which helps to stay peaceful and rested also.

I don't like being separated from my backpack either, and have had my backpack mislaid by a transport company , but if you're going to use one, Caroline's Bourricot Express service will get your pack to Roncesvalles and you'll probably be glad you sent it that day.

If it were me I would book somewhere to sleep the first night in SJPDP, and book at Orisson (or Hunto) for the second night. I'm assuming you plan on walking the Route Napoleon (if not, then plan on staying at the albergue at Valcarlos).

That means you can have a very leisurely first day of walking, with a good late start, having spent a little time enjoying SJPDP. Orisson in only 8 km from SJPDP and Valcarlos (the other route) is about 12km.

I can't make decisions well when I'm jet lagged and sometimes too much hesitation leads to paralysis in new pilgrims. By knowing where you will be sleeping the second night you will have started your camino, be doing some walking (which is good for jet-lag), have a certain gaol and not have to make any major decisions.
Kanga
Can you book accommodation in Orisson from SJPDP once your there ?
As I'm not 100% certain of the Day I want to START
It's difficult to predict & book in advance
Cheers
Aussie Aussie AUSSIE

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kanga
Can you book accommodation in Orisson from SJPDP once your there ?

I agree with @mspath. I've booked from SJPDP but that was quite a few years ago.

The other place to stay on the Route Napoleon is at Ferme Ithurburia, Huntto. It is only about 6km from SJPDP - but they are 6km all uphill and even that makes a big difference the next day. I have stayed there twice, both times booking a few weeks ahead directly by email, but I suspect they would not be booked out as quickly as Orisson, mainly because it is a chambre d'hôtes (bed and breakfast - you get your own room) and more expensive. It is definitely worth booking the evening meal - Madam Ourtiage is a superb cook.
Here's the website: http://www.gites-de-france-64.com/ferme-ithurburia/

Your question is really personal, and I think it depends on how much time you have. For me, I would like to be rested first so I would spend a day in St Jean relaxing, resting, and enjoying the ambiance. Unlike some others, I don't see a problem sending your pack ahead for more difficult stages however if you have a lot that you would like to have in your day pack you may find it is less comfortable, even though lighter, than your regular pack that is comfortable for your body. And if you do have a more comfortable daypack, it will be one more thing adding weight to your pack when you are carrying everything. I don't know about stopping at Orisson, depends on your fitness. My personal plan for my Camino Portugués this year is to spend a couple of days seeing Lisbon and then a couple of days seeing Porto. I am retired, I have the time, and that's my plan for what it is worth. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thank you everyone!!

Hi, Turning48,

If you arrive in Paris on Saturday morning and get to SJPP Saturday night, you have Sunday as a "getting over jet lag day," no? My attitude about jet lag and a day of rest has changed a lot since I first started walking caminos.

I usually arrive in Madrid in the early morning after a transatlantic flight. What works for me best is to power through to get to my starting point (Valencia, Bilbao, Irun, etc) that same day. I will usually doze on the plane or train and arrive at my starting point early enough to have a meal and head off to bed. For years, I always took a rest day, walking around the city, etc, but recently decided that wasn't helping me. So long as I can get to bed by 9 or 10 pm on my arrival day, I will always get up and just start walking the next day. I never regret that, I find that my circadian rhythms are restored more quickly if I am out and about, walking in daylight rather than sleeping in and not being too active. But that's a personal choice and it may not work for you.

And with regards to the packweight, my soapbox on this topic is always to make sure that you will be able to walk long distances with a formless pack like the one you've linked to at REI. I couldn't walk more than two hours with that pack even if it only had a water bottle, rain gear and some snacks. For me, the structure of a good internal frame pack, which transfers the weight to my hips, means that it is much easier to carry a fully loaded internal frame pack than a lightweight day pack. I am not judgmental about people who decide to use transfer companies, but I always just throw out the suggestion that you might surprise yourself by pushing a bit harder and finding that you can do more than you thought you could without pack transport. The real advantage is how it preserves your flexibility and freedom, but there is also something nice about finding that you are able to meet the challenge!

Thank you everyone!!

Turning48:

Jet lag is another individual thing. Most of us are somewhat affected but to varying degrees. My solution to Jet lag is when I get to my starting point, I just start walking. I walk until dusk followed by a good dinner. By that time, I am exhausted and have no problem going to sleep. The next morning, I am pretty much in sync with my time zone. My return home is very different and it typically takes at least two days to adjust. This model works for me.

My pack the first time was 24 lbs or 11 Kg's. My pack is now more like 15 lbs or 7 Kg's. Until you walk a Camino it is difficult to understand how little you really need. Bring what you feel you need, It will be too much, and either leave some of it behind or have your pack sent ahead. The challenge of having your pack sent ahead is that now you have committed to that destination for that day. I find that restrictive but others might find it comforting.

Whatever your decision, I am sure you can make it work for you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hi Everyone - Thanks again for all of your insight and tips. So, it seems like those of you who have already done this journey would would not transport your bag on day 1 despite it being a grueling day. Got it. It also seems like many don't pack a day pack either. Got it again.

As for jet lag, useful tips for sure. @peregrina2000, I fly into Paris on Saturday mid-morning, but was unable to secure a connecting flight to Biarritz until 2pm on Sunday. So my first night (Saturday) is at a CDG airport hotel and then on Sunday I fly again and will stay in SJPP for the night. I will likely follow the advice of others and stay in SJPP an extra day. I really was debating about staying in Orisson on Monday, but I don't want to pre-book and commit yet because jet lag is a killer despite how motivated I might be.

As always, thank you everyone for taking the time to share your perspectives with me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you everyone!!

My thoughts.

(1) On my Camino (which I did by bicycle) I flew from Seattle to Frankfurt then to Madrid. I spend one night in Madrid, then took the fast train to Pamplona where I had reservations. To make sure I was over jet lag prior to starting, I stayed two nights in Pamplona. Based on my experience, I saw a lot of injured people and saw and heard a lot of coughing sick people my first several days on my Camino. If you are jet-lagged your immune system will be low and living in a dorm with lots of other people is a good way to get a bad cold that will be tough to kick, if you don't get some rest. It is better to take an extra couple days at the start to avoid a cold than to create one that will put you in bed sick for a day or two.

(2) Yes, don't feel ashamed about having bags transported. The problem with that is that you have to know where you are going to stay so that you and your bag/s can meet again. That means you need to be flexible. On my biking Camino, when I biked uphill from Villa Franca to O'Cebreio, I sent my bike saddle bags ahead and was glad that I did. If you send your gear ahead, you might want to take an extra rucksack or stuffsack to put your gear in that you want transported, as you really want to keep your Camelback bladder and backpack to stay hydrated.

Good luck

If you think you'll be too jet lagged, reserve a night at Orisson. It's less than 10k from St Jean, on roadtops. Uphill, but easy walking. You can sleep in at your albergue in St Jean, eat breakfast, wander around a bit, then walk on up to the albergue and get there before 3:00 pm. Chill out there and by the next morning I'm sure you'll have the jet lag shook off.
May-June Camino Frances? Highly doubtful you will encounter hot weather. I walked it June-July in 2014 and experienced no hot weather. In fact some evenings and mornings was nice and chilly. The only time I encountered truly hot weather on the Camino was July-August.

I travelled from Toronto to Paris in 2015. We left around 6 pm and I took an over the counter sleeping pill an hour before the flight. I slept the full trip and had no jet lag to deal with in Spain. I also got up earlier for a few days before the flight, so I would be tired and ready to sleep when the plane left. I was able to get a flight from Paris to Biarritz two hours after landing in Paris, and was in SJPP the day after leaving Toronto. I started walking the next day, but I had booked into Orisson so only had to walk about 3 hours.

I brought a small really light bag to put my things in that I wanted to send ahead. I kept my pack with me as it is comfortable. The REI daypack looks comfortable, but I don't know that you really need a second backpack.

You will be able to start the next day - especially if you stay at an albergue in SJPP. You will want to start walking with the people you meet. The excitement and adrenalin will kick in and off you go!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I brought a small really light bag to put my things in that I wanted to send ahead. I kept my pack with me as it is comfortable.
I never had to have anything transported, but I carried a very lightweight - less than 3 ounces 10 liter backpack, purchased for less than 5 € at Decathlon, that I used around town after walking. I could have put some heavy items in it to have transported if necessary.

My solution for jet lag is always fresh air and exercise as soon as I get where I am going - and try to operate on local time as soon as possible. So, when arriving on the Camino, we just got there and started walking the next day. We came from California, so that's about 9 hours difference. Yeah, we were tired the first day, but no biggie - its just walking, not like it requires a lot of brain power :) And the 2nd night, with all the fresh air and exercise, we slept like the dead and work up completely fine.

I travel for work, and there is very rarely any time to get over jet lag between arrival and starting to work. That can be a challenge.

I travel from Alaska. 30+ hours is the norm for any international trip for me. I've done a lot of them and I always, always plan for the first 2 night after arriving to be easy, do noting days. That's why my vacations are always 3 1/2 weeks long. I need 2 days on either end just for travel. We arrive on a Friday into Madrid, after over 29 hours flying, and then take a train to Oviedo (another 5 hours). I don't plan to start walking until Sunday and even then have only planned for a short 11 KM walk. If we aren't still jet lagged, we will continue on. If you can spare the time, I'd suggest that you do the same. Take a couple nights to see the local sights and get your circadian rhythm into some semblance of normal.

I wouldn't use pack transfer but there's noting wrong with doing so if you feel you need to. Don't worry about what the rest of think or do. Take care of your health and well being and enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't really recommend bladders - they break or pop. They're not designed to last. Once I bought a nice Osprey bladder and it broke after 2 uses. I've given up on them and now I used the water bottle!

I set my watch (cellphone clock actually) to the time at the destination a few days before departure to start conditioning my mind - and thus the body, not only of the time but the transition as a whole.

Just my 10 cents worth but I detect a subtle bias against pack transportation. I would not want people who arrive here, to feel "less than" if they transport a pack forward to that evenings destination.

I am 73 and have peripheral neuropathy which typically affects my hands, forearms and most importantly my feet. Pain in the upper limbs and an altered foot strike ie: the foot doesn't plant on the heel
and roll...it sort of plants and then the rest of the foot flatly hits the surface. Its a pain in the...well a variety of places :rolleyes: Especially with a hard surface.

Last Oct. I walked from Roncevalles to Sahagun and transported my pack 50 % of the time and had some leg pain at the end. I leave today to complete the trip to Santiago. I have a small duffle bag which I will use to transport a heavier sleeping bag and more clothes for the April weather etc. I have a 24 litre Gregory pack for rain gear, lunch, first aid etc. and other daily needs.

I fear that I have ventured further than 10 cents worth but my memories of the trail are consistent. They are about the magnificent scenery, the wonderful people, the opportunity for "moving meditation" as I traveled through the day. The weight that I carry or not carry on my back will not enhance my new memories.

We walk with and for ourselves. Walk with the grace that you do this for you and do it the best way you can.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As mentioned above, the solution for YOU is a personal one. I will tell you how I deal with it.

(1) Sleep Issue -

I have been traveling globally for more than 40 years. Most of my miles (+ a million) were accumulated inter-continentally. Most of those trips were from the East Coast of the US to Western Europe. The flights are about 8 hours +/- and are typically overnight. They leave the US in the evening and arrive for breakfast.

For years, I have used a prescribed anti-anxiety medication that is intended to help me sleep, and as needed for an unrelated to travel issue. But, I typically only use it to help me get to sleep. The dosage is VERY small (.25 gm or less).

I take one dose as soon as I arrive at the airport to check-in (.25 gm). After security, at my gate, I take another dose about an hour later. That is double my normal nightly dose (.5 gm total). By the time we board, I am sleepy.

I do NOT drink alcohol pre-flight or during the flight. It does not mix well with the medication.

NOTE: Over the counter Benadryl decongestant works nearly as well for most people. In fact, some parents give this this to their crying children pre-flight to induce them to sleep enroute. So, if you do not have a legal prescription for a sleeping aid, consider adult-strength Benadryl if you can take it. I advise AGAINST using alcohol.

Once in my seat, I put on my noise cancelling ear buds (Bose), and place my sleeping eyeshade atop my forehead. After wheels-up, I put MY calming music on my iPhone (in airplane mode). This is key if you do not want to be disturbed by inflight announcements especially on overseas flights where they repeat everything in two or more languages.

I remove my eyeglasses and pull my eyeshade down, recline my seat ASAP but politely after takeoff, and go to sleep...Sometimes I fall asleep before the wheel well doors have closed...

My music is usually classic instrumentals. Alternatively, I will use Gregorian chant. Sometimes, I will run my Spanish or Portuguese language Berlitz courses. All the music is run in a repeat loop so it plays half a dozen times while I am sleeping.

When boarding and getting comfortable, I always let my seat mate know that I will sleep through the flight, and to not wake me for beverage service or dinner. I ask my seat mate to poke me awake when the coffee cart comes around for breakfast. By then, we are over Ireland...or the Canary Islands if I am flying direct MIA - MAD. By the time we land, about one-hour later, I am good to go.

Typically, I manage to get 5 - 6 hours sleep on an 8-hour flight.

On my first day in Europe, I put myself on the local normal schedule. I eat a light breakfast on arrival (coffee and a bread), have my mid-day meal, then a light evening meal. I try to get into bed early so I can be asleep by 2200. I use a fractional amount of my sleep aid to make sure I sleep a full 8 hours.

My typical Camino day is; up at 0600, walking by 0700, arrival at next lodging by about 1330 - 1400 (+/-). The cycle repeats daily...except for rest days.

I prefer to stay the first night at my starting place in a hotel so I can control the sleeping environment. I typically start walking the next morning.

(2) Day Pack

As regards a day back, I use a Sea to Summit "Sling Bag." See www.Amazon.com. The highly water resistant bag is taffeta thin, holds 16 liters, and has a zip-close top. The attached shoulder strap is long enough to wear cross chest. They come in a variety of colors, and compresses to kiwi size in a built in pouch. The pouch can easily be attached to your rucksack harness.

I use this back as my carry-on in the cabin bag for flying. It holds my medications, important papers, electronics and other valuables. Toiletries ride in there too, along with reading material, guide books, and spare eyeglasses. Everything else is checked, and is replaceable on arrival if I have to. It has never happened.

Once on the ground, the Sling Bag becomes a touring day bag, shopping bag, laundry tote bag, and a nearly waterproof bag to take into an albergue shower. The zip lock bags containing valuables and electronics go inside, with the dry clothing I will put on post-shower.

Finally, when filled with clothing, the Sling Bag makes an effective expedient pillow. I do NOT like using albergue pillows... You could even stuff the albergue pillow into the Sling Bag, if it will fit, to use the Sling Bag as a pillow cover.

I hope this helps.

I'd consider taking an even smaller pack for evenings or if you want to send your mail pack on ahead - the one I took probably weighed a third of the one you have.

I do nothing but camelback hiking in the US, so it was a bit risky switching for the camino, but it was a really good decision. I carried the insulated water bottle on a neckstrap that my father had hiked with when he was healthy enough to do so, and so it was instantly available just like a camelback is, but infinitely easier to get refilled. (and yes, it was tremendously meaningful to be carrying "him" with me in addition)

I don't really recommend bladders - they break or pop. They're not designed to last. Once I bought a nice Osprey bladder and it broke after 2 uses. I've given up on them and now I used the water bottle!
You must have had a bad bladder. I've never heard of one breaking like that. They actually are designed to last. I have 3 that have lasted over 15 years of hard use in rugged environments. It is wrong to lead people to think that they don't work, imo.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just my 10 cents worth but I detect a subtle bias against pack transportation. I would not want people who arrive here, to feel "less than" if they transport a pack forward to that evenings destination.

I am 73 and have peripheral neuropathy which typically affects my hands, forearms and most importantly my feet. Pain in the upper limbs and an altered foot strike ie: the foot doesn't plant on the heel
and roll...it sort of plants and then the rest of the foot flatly hits the surface. Its a pain in the...well a variety of places :rolleyes: Especially with a hard surface.

Last Oct. I walked from Roncevalles to Sahagun and transported my pack 50 % of the time and had some leg pain at the end. I leave today to complete the trip to Santiago. I have a small duffle bag which I will use to transport a heavier sleeping bag and more clothes for the April weather etc. I have a 24 litre Gregory pack for rain gear, lunch, first aid etc. and other daily needs.

I fear that I have ventured further than 10 cents worth but my memories of the trail are consistent. They are about the magnificent scenery, the wonderful people, the opportunity for "moving meditation" as I traveled through the day. The weight that I carry or not carry on my back will not enhance my new memories.

We walk with and for ourselves. Walk with the grace that you do this for you and do it the best way you can.
You quoted my post but then left the reply blank. If you were referring to me with this reply then you have completely misread my words. I specifically recommended using pack transport if you need to and not worrying about what others think.

I just arrived home from Iceland and am de-jetlagging so thought it would be fun to respond to your post. By the way, Iceland is an incredible country for hiking/Camino training and Northern Lights, to boot! What a trip! (And did I mention Icelandic men all look like Brad Pitt on steroids?!)

1. If you're leaving from the States (west or east coast?), perhaps you arrive to SJPDP Saturday night rather than Sunday? I just replied to another person with a similar question about transportation from Paris to SJPDP:

"We did this and found it to be a fun and relaxing way to start the trip:

Aeroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle TGV 10:16 to Bordeaux-St-Jean 14:34
Bordeaux-St-Jean 15:51 to Bayonne 17:32
Bayonne 18:06 to St Jean Pied de Port 19:31

After customs in CDG, head downstairs to the TGV station. Catnap on the train. Wander around Bordeaux for an hour; we went to the cathedral and saw our first St. James and scallop shells, arriving back at the station in time to grab an ice cream and Diet Coke, my favorite oxymoron. Jump on the next train and switch in Bayonne. Get off the train and switch to a bus during an impromptu rail strike. Arrive in SJPDP in time for a late dinner and stroll, tired and ready to de-jetlag. Wouldn't hesitate to use the same routing again."

In an ideal world, I try to de jet lag for a day after arriving overseas. I just feel better. But you will likely do fine if you just have to hit the trail, too. Another way to do it is to layover on the east coast in NYC, Boston, Canada or DC so the overseas portion is easier. And try not to nap, which is almost impossible for me. Grab a shower, walk around, go to a museum, switch into local time for meals and go to bed early evening. Coming home is much easier but I was up at 4 am this morning. I got so much done before the day even began!

2. Transporting a pack isn't a big deal but you may not be able to use albuergues. There are tons of business cards with companies that transport bags. I've done it a few times and didn't have any problems.

3. "REI Flashpack" hip belt may not distribute load well, it's pretty small and used more just for keeping pack to body, rather than weight loading. It may work for just food, water and rain jacket but, personally and IMHO, I prefer a beefier hip belt. The pack may weigh a bit more but I find them infinitely more comfortable and I carry more water weight than most. My favorite day pack is an Osprey Tempest 20 but Purple Backpack (Osprey Talon 33) went to Iceland as I had to carry full winter and rain gear.

Lunch with Purple Backpack!.jpg
Lunch with a view...

Don't stress out too much about all this. It truly does sort itself out!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My admonition about avoiding alcohol was ONLY intended if you are also taking medication to help you sleep. If you do NOT use medication to help you sleep, and alcohol is your preferred sleep aid, have at it. ;)

I can also enjoy one or the other, but never together.:)

I hope this clarifies and helps.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back