• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 stamps a day starting after Sarria

DACamino

Time of past OR future Camino
09/08/18
I was told today in Sarria that I needed to get stamps from specific churches along the way to Santiago. Previously I understood it was any two stamps one of which was from the alburgue I would be staying at. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks a bunch.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You do not need to get the two stamps from particular churches - or any other set places. Just at least two per day from wherever you find them offered. I'd be interested to learn who told you that you had to get stamps from specific churches. Never heard that idea before.

You do not need to get the two stamps from particular churches - or any other set places. Just at least two per day from wherever you find them offered. I'd be interested to learn who told you that you had to get stamps from specific churches. Never heard that idea before.
Went into the church El Salvador to get a stamp there and the lady at the desk gave me a strip of paper that says at top of the strip “churches where the pilgrim passports MUST be stamped. Hate to get to Santiago an d not have the correct stamps. Hope you’re right.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is what the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago de Compostela (the guys issuing the Compostela) states:

"You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims)."

Bradypus is absolutely correct, the information you were told in Sarria is not correct. . . or should I say, it is incomplete :)

Went into the church El Salvador to get a stamp there and the lady at the desk gave me a strip of paper that says at top of the strip “churches where the pilgrim passports MUST be stamped. Hate to get to Santiago an d not have the correct stamps. Hope you’re right.

I was told today in Sarria that I needed to get stamps from specific churches along the way to Santiago. Previously I understood it was any two stamps one of which was from the alburgue I would be staying at. Can someone clear this up for me? Thanks a bunch.

i got my last compostela with only 'bar/café' stamps - but church ones are nice

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Did they tell you which specific Churches?

I have heard rumours of a certain sacred organization open only to people who get the right stamps in the right order (though this may derive from reading Dan Browne books and watching Indiana Jones movies - I lose track). If you wish the Pilgrims' Office to award you with a Compostella for walking at least 100km into Santiago (with some other provisions) all you need to do is evidence your walk by obtaining two stamps per day from whichever Church, Bar, Town Hall, Police Station, Ferreteria, Supermarket or wherever else you can get one. I once elected to get a Sello from every bar that I passed after Sarria but sadly it became to heavy to carry and I wasn't prepared to use Paq Credencial.

Buen Camino amigo, and don't believe everything you hear on Camino

If that “rule” were true, and of course it is NOT, it would be ridiculous because so many churches are simply CLOSED. Even those in regular operation are closed for much of the afternoon because of the “siesta” tradition. And that includes large churches in Santiago itself. You can get valid “sellos” anywhere. Consider a nice church stamp to be a lucky bonus. The Finisterre-Muxia credential actually has pictures of various churches on its pages making you THINK that you must get THESE in order to qualify. Again, this is also NOT true. Any stamp from anywhere along the route is valid.

Attachments

• FE7A84B0-084B-4AFF-B658-0F7DCC2EC219.jpeg
    FE7A84B0-084B-4AFF-B658-0F7DCC2EC219.jpeg
    719.1 KB · Views: 24
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You will always get a stamp at the place you are staying and then you could make it a habit to ask for a stamp wherever you stop for coffee or lunch and any churches or other sites you are visiting along the way.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will always get a stamp at the place you are staying and then you could make it a habit to ask for a stamp wherever you stop for coffee or lunch and any churches or other sites you are visiting along the way.
Given the 2 stamp rule from Sarria, what happens if I run out of space on a Pilgrim Record? Are Record cards available enroute from Tourist Offices or other places?

€149,-
Given the 2 stamp rule from Sarria, what happens if I run out of space on a Pilgrim Record? Are Record cards available enroute from Tourist Offices or other places?

I stick two credentials together if it will be a long camino - but gluing or sticky taping some extra folded (thin) cardboard would work equally well.

This is what the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago de Compostela (the guys issuing the Compostela) states:

"You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims)."

Bradypus is absolutely correct, the information you were told in Sarria is not correct. . . or should I say, it is incomplete :)
I was under the impression that you only needed to have two stamps a day if you were only doing Sarria to Santiago but if you started farther line SJPdP one stamp was sufficient.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was under the impression that you only needed to have two stamps a day if you were only doing Sarria to Santiago but if you started farther line SJPdP one stamp was sufficient.
That is not the pilgrim office policy these days. There are no exceptions to the "2 sellos per day in the last 100km" rule. Some people have received a Compostela with only 1 per day but others have been refused. Why take that risk if a Compostela is important to you when sellos are so easy to find in the last 100km anyway?

Well. you were wrong then 🙂
And it is no problem getting 2 (or more) stamps a day, you can get them in any bar/cafe, albergue or hostel etc. along the way. Just ask for "un sello".

I finished the Camino Frances just over a week ago. I was worried about getting two stamps a day once I reached Sarria, so I started getting them at every bar, church, and albergue I stopped in. I quickly realized that was far too many stamps and only did the two a day. When I got the final stamp in Santiago, they had to put it over the writing on the back! And there was no rule about needing stamps from specific locations.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Even food and drink stalls along the Camino offer a "sello", provided you buy something.
The guy who thought this requisite was a marketing strategy genius...👏

You need two stamps a day.
It can be from a church, a bar ,the Albergue and lots more places .
Oh and he is right.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Take 2 Credencials with you , when one is full start with the other one.
The Pilgrimsoffice will stamp them both , simple as that.

Something may have been lost in the translation.
It is a wrong translation.

Someone posted a copy of this slip of paper on Facebook. It's a list of churches from Sarria to Santiago. It indicates which of these churches have a daily mass. The heading says:

Iglesias donde se debe sellar la credencial​
Churches where the pilgrim passport must be stamp [sic]​

It is my understanding that se debe means should, not must.

I guess it's an attempt to get people to go to church.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is a wrong translation.

Someone posted a copy of this slip of paper on Facebook. It's a list of churches from Sarria to Santiago. It indicates which of these churches have a daily mass. The heading says:

Iglesias donde se debe sellar la credencial​
Churches where the pilgrim passport must be stamp [sic]​

It is my understanding that se debe means should, not must.

I guess it's an attempt to get people to go to church.
I agree. Deber should have been translated as should. Here's the picture from that Facebook post

FB_IMG_1570110310629.jpg

If that “rule” were true, and of course it is NOT, it would be ridiculous because so many churches are simply CLOSED. Even those in regular operation are closed for much of the afternoon because of the “siesta” tradition.

Here Here!! Two completed caminos, granted not in peak season, but barely a handful of open churches combined.

When I walked from Le Puy i ended up with one credential, and several pieces of paper sticky taped on the end. That was before the two steps a day rule. The cathedral stamp got put on every sheet over whatever happened to be there. Including possibly a shopping list and the back of a map.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well. you were wrong then 🙂
And it is no problem getting 2 (or more) stamps a day, you can get them in any bar/cafe, albergue or hostel etc. along the way. Just ask for "un sello".
Actually, I do find it a problem. One a day is fine, especially since it's part of a night in an albergue. Otherwise, I find it a pain. Most might not. I'm not at all used to it, arrive at nighttime and I've forgotten to get one, distracted my my pilgrimage. That's the problem it's a distraction.

Actually, I do find it a problem. One a day is fine, especially since it's part of a night in an albergue. Otherwise, I find it a pain. Most might not. I'm not at all used to it, arrive at nighttime and I've forgotten to get one, distracted my my pilgrimage. That's the problem it's a distraction.

Yes, I know what you mean, distraction can be a problem -but it is a slightly different problem than not being able to find a place that can give you a sello…. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Apologies for piggy backing. If I have read correctly the "two stamps" per day rule will apply on ALL other Caminos.
So on the Porto that means two stamps from Tui or Porrino or Vigo!! Comments??

Apologies for piggy backing. If I have read correctly the "two stamps" per day rule will apply on ALL other Caminos.
So on the Porto that means two stamps from Tui or Porrino or Vigo!! Comments??

Absolutely correct! To be on the safe side I would collect two stamps / day from Valenca do Minho/Tui on that route. BC SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sarria to SDC Do the Albergues give stamps even if you don’t stay there?
If they are open when you go by, generally yes, particularly the municipals. However, some albergues have had the experience of people showing up in taxis and asking for stamps, and they will say no to those.

Sarria to SDC Do the Albergues give stamps even if you don’t stay there?
There are plenty of other opportunities to get stamps. First, there is the albergue, pensión or hotel where you spent the night. For your second stamp the bar or café where you get breakfast or lunch, or virtually any business along the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back