• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 weeks left for my 1st Camino - Last advice and clothes info appreciated

Saidch

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hello dear friends! hope you are all well!

Mid May, I will be walking my first ever Camino - The Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago over 5 to 6 days.

Thanks to previous posts, i prepared my itinerary, even though I keep rethinking it, but I beleive it's an adventure, and i will not try to control everything, i will just see where i end up every day and find a hostel.
Things will sort themselves I think.

I have already my backpack, confrotable shoes....
but do you usually wear shorts or pants? any special kind of pants or shorts?

and lastely, do you have any last advice for me ?

so excited to do the Camino!

thanks everyone!
Saïd

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried one of each and a pair of capris. I wore everything at various times. I find it difficult to find comfy zipoffs but have lots of friends who wear them. Capris made nice "non hiking" wear for me :).

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
How exciting for you! Best wishes on your camino!

So much of clothing is personal preference- wear the type of clothing you are most comfortable in.
As an example- I don't like the feeling of branches and brush hitting my bare legs so I wore leggings the entire time - even in 36C / 97F weather and I was fine.
Some of the pilgrims I walked with stopped mid-day to change into shorts...others wore shorts the entire time- even when it felt quite cold.

My biggest advice is to know your own preferences and to honor them.

A comfortable hat with ventialtion was helpful for me...if you are comfortable with hats...if not..it's all good.

My merino wool gaiter / buff came in really handy, serving many purposes: kept my neck warm on chilly days, kept the sun off the back of my neck on high UV days & functioned as a really comfortable black-out eye shade for sleeping in albergues. The antimicrobial properties of the merino wool were nice when I had to miss a laundry day.

I am one of the folks who lucked out with the injinji toe sock liners- 965km / 600+ miles and not a single blister...and I saw some terrible ones on others, so am very grateful for them. Some folks, though, not so much.

And oh, merino wool underwear- again with the anitmicrobial properties---so comfortable!

Just notice things that work for you as you train and start your walk and adjust accordinly.
You are about to start on the journey of a lifetime...enjoy and buen camino!

wear the type of clothing you are most comfortable in.
This is the best advice.

It is also important to do a trial with the exact clothes you expect to wear while walking. Put on your packed backpack, and the clothes you are considering, and go for a 20 km walk. You will be surprised at little things that might annoy you - a waistband seam that rubs under your hip belt, a pocket that is blocked by a strap, something that chafes on your leg after 5 km, etc. It is much easier to fix or replace these things at home, than on the Camino. When you get home, wash those pants/trousers, shirt, and underwear in the sink and hang them to dry. The next morning, see if they are dry.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well - for a shorter Camino I don't think what clothes you wear as imperative as on a long Camino, so go for comfort, and no reason why you can't wear what you already have in your closet.

That said - these are my usual recommendations (but keep in mind I also do the long Camino routes):
1 short sleeve, 1 long sleeve shirt. I prefer merino wool, better for temp regulation, quick dry, and doesn't retain smells the way many other fabrics do.

Most people want a combination of shorts and pants - or some do either or. For those that want both - convertible pants are a good way to go because you can just zip off the legs when you warm up for the day. I myself prefer a pair of leggings and a pair of running shorts with a shorts liner (not built in underwear for me - I like the liner to be a bit longer) and/or a lightweight merino wool blend hiking dress (I like it because I don't get exposed when I do need to pee outside.

I bring at least 3 pairs of underwear (1 to wear, 2 to spare) and two-3 sets of socks (one to wear, others to spare). I love Injinji toe sock liners paired with darn tough merino wool cushioned socks.

SUN HAT - I like the ones that have a wide brimmed front but the back is a removable piece of fabric that covers my neck, but I can remove it when I don't want it. Also - doesn't interfere with a backpack.

One down puffy or fleece, and a rain jacket/pack cover or poncho.

But most importantly - don't overpack! If you know you need it, bring it. If you think you possibly "might" need it, you are probably better off leaving it at home. Keep toiletries and first aid kits minimal. Multi-purpose anything that can have more than 1 use (like a shampoo bar can be used for hair, body, laundry)

ENJOY!

Hi Said
, Lucky you to be doing the Camino Ingles. I see that it is fairly hilly so I suggest that you cut your toenails short the night before you depart home. the reason being that on downhills feet can slip forward in shoes and if nails are anyway long the big toenail hits against your shoe and the jar goes right back to the root of the nail. you end up with black nails and a certain amount of pain.

My second bit of unasked for advice would be to put antiperspirant on to your feet before you put on your socks. this stops your feet sweating and the skin getting soft. I have found that this prevents me getting blisters.

I would be very interested in hearing how you get on, where you stayed etc. I had planned doing it last year and then met a pilgrim who told me he had not met another pilgrim and I kind of freaked out and decided to come from Valenca in Portugal instead. however I still want to do the C. Ingles. It was the traditional route of the Irish. every little port in Ireland has a St. James Church where the pilgrims were blessed before they set off by sea for A Corona.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.