• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 weeks of walking - which part would you recommend?

Rsian

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino frances
Hi!
I was planning on walking the full frances from mid july to mid august, but sadly work got in the way and now I only have time for two weeks of walking! So I was wondering which section you guys would recommend, if I havnt walked any camino before?

From beginning and as far as I can get or from somewhere else to Santiago, a or totally different route?

I’m still planning on walking the full frances, just not yet :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've had the same time constraints that you're experiencing. I'd still suggest starting out of SJPP and hiking to Burgos (takes 10 days). You'll get a good sense of the Camino, and you can just tuck away your credential until next time and Burgos is an easy place to return to.

Burgos is a major city on the Camino. Easy to catch a bus/train to/from Madrid. 14 days would leave you a few days to travel wherever you'd like to explore.

Buen Camino

It depends on your preferences. Based on my limited experience with different route, you might consider....
  • In mid-July to mid-August, there will be many Spaniards walking the last week or so to Santiago, especially from Sarria. So walking there, then, will involve crowds and possibly the need to reserve ahead. But you would have opportunity to practice Spanish and have a very sociable time.
  • Walking SJPP to, say, Burgos will not be overly crowded, but the weather could be hot. (However, it could be hot anywhere in Spain at that time.) If you walked this, you could return "next time" to continue the route to Santiago. I agree with what @irishrock says in the post above, except for the statement that SJPP to Burgos would take 10 days. It is 287 km, so that would mean 29 km/day. Brierley suggests 12 days, and I would recommend having another day free for Burgos. So that would be perfect for 2 weeks.
  • The Camino Invierno from Ponferrada is a great route and will likely not be too crowded. In fact, it might even be a bit lonely if you are want to meet other pilgrims and have a strong sense of the Camino.
Others will likely suggest the Portugués, but I haven't walked that, so cannot comment on it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It depends on your preferences. Based on my limited experience with different route, you might consider....
  • In mid-July to mid-August, there will be many Spaniards walking the last week or so to Santiago, especially from Sarria. So walking there, then, will involve crowds and possibly the need to reserve ahead. But you would have opportunity to practice Spanish and have a very sociable time.
  • Walking SJPP to, say, Burgos will not be overly crowded, but the weather could be hot. (However, it could be hot anywhere in Spain at that time.) If you walked this, you could return "next time" to continue the route to Santiago. I agree with what @irishrock says in the post above, except for the statement that SJPP to Burgos would take 10 days. It is 287 km, so that would mean 29 km/day. Brierley suggests 12 days, and I would recommend having another day free for Burgos. So that would be perfect for 2 weeks.
  • The Camino Invierno from Ponferrada is a great route and will likely not be too crowded. In fact, it might even be a bit lonely if you are want to meet other pilgrims and have a strong sense of the Camino.
Others will likely suggest the Portugués, but I haven't walked that, so cannot comment on it.
my time constraint required me to walk two stages in one day (eg Estella to Viana...crusher, Viana to Najera, Granon to San Juan) certainly, it depends on one's fitness, and how legs (feet) feel.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello there!

Yip, the start from SJPdP to Burgos is a good part. You can stretch it to 12 days, if you want.
4 days to Pamplona, 4 days to Logroño and 4 days to Burgos.
You will have insights of the daily life of the Camino, may make some friends and see a lot of changing landscapes.

Have fun!

If you are really planning to coming back and do the full camino frances in one go, then I'd probably do a different route. The Camino Portugues from Porto is 2 weeks and has enough pilgrims walking it to get a social pilgrim feel and enough bars, albergues etc that it is reasonably straightforward for a first camino.
The Invierno also fits the time frame but would be more low key in pilgrim numbers and pilgrim infrastructure, maybe even quite solitary.

I've had the same time constraints that you're experiencing. I'd still suggest starting out of SJPP and hiking to Burgos (takes 10 days). You'll get a good sense of the Camino, and you can just tuck away your credential until next time and Burgos is an easy place to return to.

Burgos is a major city on the Camino. Easy to catch a bus/train to/from Madrid. 14 days would leave you a few days to travel wherever you'd like to explore.

Buen Camino
i vote for the sjpp to burgos idea!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Consider this as a process-

1) Do you feel called anywhere? For me, I feel called to the Basque Country, to the Lot, to Portugal, to Finisterre and Muxia.

2) Time. Two weeks. I'd use Gronze stages as a starting point, and be cognizant of the difficulty over the KMs.

3) Check connections. Maybe you cross from St Jean to Pamplona, rest day to Sarria then on to Santiago and Muxia.

To me, number 1 is important. Go where you feel called.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The coastal route from Porto would be perfect timewise, but hot!
Could walk The English way from Ferrol to Santiago then continue to Finisterre or Muxia.
It will all be hot really.

As mentioned, it depends on if you want to get to Santiago on this Camino and to receive a Compostela. Other factors include whether you are planning to return to walk another Camino, or section of one, the number of km’s that suit you and a few more variables. It’s likely to be quite hot, which may necessarily shorten your time walking each day, so do factor in this possibility.
If your heart is set on walking some part of the Frances and arriving in SdC, then Astorga to SdC is a great option that gives you the freedom of time/extra days.
The Portuguese from Porto is also a good option but in my experience doesn’t have the same Camino vibe (not better or worse, just different), some of which may have to do with fewer people walk these paths (but still plenty of people to meet along the way!) and perhaps because the Portuguese routes are often taken by those who have already walked the Frances.
Having said this, I enjoyed the Portuguese Central and hope to get back to walk more of the Portuguese routes. I am fairly taken with the landscape and the culture. Lovely country!
Whatever route you choose I’m betting you’ll have a wonderful, meaningful experience. The only questionable decision you could make would be not to start walking from somewhere on a Camino :)
Buen Camino!

I agree about walking from Porto or even the Norte from Irun to Santander. It is beautiful but there will be a lot of Spanish vacationers. Both routes will afford you beauty (The Norte is far more physically demanding than the Portugues Coastal), as well as many other pilgrims to meet and get to know. They will both be less crowded, and far less crowded than if you incorporate walking from Leon as it becomes a madhouse of pilgrims from Sarria. If you seek solitude and do not mind the heat ( I think all the caminos will be really hot that are inland. Even the coastal ones can get hot too) you could walk the Ebro or the Madrid. Less infrastructure on these last two, and a lot fewer pilgrims. You have choices and it can be confusing but think about your level of confidence from prior experiences. The thing to remember is no matter which one you choose whatever your expectations are and what you "think" you want or may happen will almost certainly fall by the wayside. It is always better, I think, to just let the experience unfold in front of you one step at a time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Leon to Compostela is a lovely 2 week section of the CF. Arriving in SdC is a great experience. Whatever you choose, Buen Camino. 🚶‍♂️
I would second this , especially from Leon to Sarria , some of our favourite villages , although the post Sarria vibe is quite different it's still good and highly recommend Albergue Casa Banderas in Vilacha!

Well I had exactly 2 weeks to walk with my 15 year old grandson and we've started today! I gave him the choice of sections of the Frances or the Portugues coastal. He decided that crossing the Pyrénées was a cool thing to do. We are now at Alberge Borda, awaiting supper and he's hooked. Already planning on coming back and completing it. We're aiming for Burgos (need to spend time getting to Santander for an evening flight) but will go a little further so long as we can get transport back to Santander.
What ever you choose, buen camino.

For my second camino I only had 10 days so I started in SJPP and walked to Logroño. It is my favourite part of the camino. Next year Ill continue my camino from Logroño.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I did Leon to Santiago in 2 weeks quite comfortably for my first time. As some of the others here have testified, go where you feel called. And you can always go back to try different routes. At the end of the day, it is your journey and....it begins now.

Hi!
I was planning on walking the full frances from mid july to mid august, but sadly work got in the way and now I only have time for two weeks of walking! So I was wondering which section you guys would recommend, if I havnt walked any camino before?

From beginning and as far as I can get or from somewhere else to Santiago, a or totally different route?

I would start in St Jean and Walk until I had to go home and the next time return and continue from where I left off.

Attachments

• 6784D245-8543-4E77-ADE5-2C5CD4F11313.jpeg
    6784D245-8543-4E77-ADE5-2C5CD4F11313.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 32EE3D1E-B5D4-4067-B73F-1414A38A6F2A.jpeg
    32EE3D1E-B5D4-4067-B73F-1414A38A6F2A.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 8

Buen Camino
This is exactly what I would recommend as well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi!

I would suggest Camino Portuguese, Porto to Santiago de Compostela. 2 weeks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
This is a challenging question, since you cannot do what you want to do, that is, to walk the whole of the Frances, as you had planned. I would not begin somewhere in the middle of the Frances unless you will have the time to go on to Santiago. There are several suggestions above. I am with the "pick another route" group, and would probably choose the Sanabres from Ourense to Santiago, which I have walked twice. This would enable you to finish your camino in Santiago and get the compostela. The Invierno is a great camino, also ending in Santiago, but a little solitary, and challenging, for a first walk. I have not walked the Portuguese, which would also take you to Santiago.
But if I had my heart set on the Frances, I might start in St Jean pied de Port and walk as far as I comfortably could, beginning where I had finished in another year.

Well I had exactly 2 weeks to walk with my 15 year old grandson and we've started today! I gave him the choice of sections of the Frances or the Portugues coastal. He decided that crossing the Pyrénées was a cool thing to do. We are now at Alberge Borda, awaiting supper and he's hooked. Already planning on coming back and completing it. We're aiming for Burgos (need to spend time getting to Santander for an evening flight) but will go a little further so long as we can get transport back to Santander.
What ever you choose, buen camino.
You are one lucky grandma!!!! Have a great camino.

Hi!

Why not walk the Portugese coastal route from Porto to Santiago, beautiful 280km walk should take 2 weeks more or less, if not then I would recommend the first 2 weeks from St Jean, it should get you a couple of days past Burgos, then you can go back and take up where you left off.
Buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why not walk the Portugese coastal route from Porto to Santiago, beautiful 280km walk should take 2 weeks more or less, if not then I would recommend the first 2 weeks from St Jean, it should get you a couple of days past Burgos, then you can go back and take up where you left off.
Buen camino.
We're walking that stretch now. Very much depends on stamina. We were aiming for a little past Burgos, but the heat is certainly making us reassess daily distances

We're walking that stretch now. Very much depends on stamina. We were aiming for a little past Burgos, but the heat is certainly making us reassess daily distances
Of course it must be pretty tough at the moment, high temperatures have to be factored in, what I meant to say was start in St Jean and see how far you get in 2 weeks 👍

Hi!

I know it usually isn't the first Camino of Choice if you haven't done one but The Primitivo can be in in 12-14 days. I did it in 12 with no rest days averaging 30km/day. It gives you a sense of accomplishment that you completed a whole Camino. I was going to walk from Pamplona to......wherever in 15 days but followed my heart and don't regret the the decision or the friends I made at all! I would have hated to have to leave them in the middle of the Camino. The 10 of us had a great farewell dinner in Santiago. I miss them sooo much!

I know it usually isn't the first Camino of Choice if you haven't done one but The Primitivo can be in in 12-14 days. I did it in 12 with no rest days averaging 30km/day. It gives you a sense of accomplishment that you completed a whole Camino. I was going to walk from Pamplona to......wherever in 15 days but followed my heart and don't regret the the decision or the friends I made at all! I would have hated to have to leave them in the middle of the Camino. The 10 of us had a great farewell dinner in Santiago. I miss them sooo much!
I'm starting the Primitivo in 2 weeks time, really looking forward to it, it looks amazing

Thank you all for your recommendations :)
For a minute I was thinking maybe the Camino ingles and then on to finisterre, but I’m thinking the Portuguese coastal/central from Porto is a better idea!

But seeing basically no one seems to have signed up for the porto coastal/central around the 5th August, do you guys think it will be empty of pilgrims/travelers? It’s my first travel by myself, so it would be nice to meet people!

For a minute I was thinking maybe the Camino ingles and then on to finisterre, but I’m thinking the Portuguese coastal/central from Porto is a better idea!

But seeing basically no one seems to have signed up for the porto coastal/central around the 5th August, do you guys think it will be empty of pilgrims/travelers? It’s my first travel by myself, so it would be nice to meet people!
99% of pilgrims don’t sign up anywhere before they walk, you will meet plenty of people, likely more on the central route.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

trust us...you'll meet people everyday...every single day. Buen camino

The members of this forum are only a tiny percentage of people who walk the Caminos.

The thread allowing people to nominate their starting dates in August is only an information service for our members, because many of us like to meet other members "in the flesh". It in no way is a requirement or a reflection of how many pilgrims you are likely to encounter when you walk.

August is often a very hot month, and not as popular as September, but I'm sure you will meet others along the way.

I've walked both the coastal (actually the Literal) and the central route from Porto. The Literal I loved, because so much of it is along bouncy boardwalks, right beside the sea, but it is completely exposed, with no shade at all. Personally I'd not want to walk it in August, but I always prefer cold weather walking so I'd probably find any route too hot at that time. The Coastal and the Literal do offer multiple swimming spots.

Whichever route you choose, Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back