Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2-Weeks on the Primitivo

Shirley

Hi there, Last year I walked a section on the Camino Frances, then later in year, 2 weeks on the Portuguese. I would like to walk for approx 2 weeks (annual leave from work), this time with 2 novice Camino walker friends within reach of an airport to UK or Ireland. Ive been reading other posts & sites to decide on the best route - the Camino Norte seems to be a bit tough going, particularly for a first timer. Im thinking Primitivo from Oviedo- Is this stretch any easier ? Is Santander closest airport? Would be grateful for any other info on routes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Shirley - an option for serious consideration for your party could be the Camino Ingles + Finisterre/Muxia. For me this is a perfect two week pilgrimage. You can fly into Santiago or A Coruna spend 5 days walking down from Ferrol which qualifies for a Compostela. Spend a night or two in Santiago and then walk out to the end of the world and round to Muxia.

Good luck with your planning :)

John

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi

Easyjet fly from London Stansted to Asturias airport, there is a coach link from the airport to Oviedo, which takes about 40 minutes.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Cheers, Liz

Hi, Shirley,

The only reason why the Primitivo might be more do-able for novices than the Norte is that the stages can be very manageable, there are albergues/pensiones well spaced, for 16-20 km days if you want. I walked last fall in 11 days, and have a post in the Primitivo section with the stages listed. But some of the days were long, and I think most people take about two weeks. I met two married couples in their 70s, plus a 74 year old French man on the Primitivo, but most of the walkers were males in their 40-50s.
Laurie

I agree with Laurie. Primitivo is tougher than Norte. I walked Primitivo in May 2007 in 10 days from Oviedo to Melide, and saw only five women including me, and altogether less than 20 pilgrims, mostly males in their 40-50´s, yes! You can do it with short stages (and not 30 kms a day as I did), but they are still quite tough for example for the knees, going up for kilometers and down for kilometres all the time, sometimes really far away from any villages. So if you prefer to walk mostly on flatter surface, I recommend some other route, especially for beginners. Still, Primitivo is well worth it:). But so are the others, I think. Buen camino, on the route you choose and walk!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back