• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anto

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2017 SJPDP to Pamplona
Hi All,
just wondering if anyone has come accross this .
This year will be our 4th year on the CF .The first year was my introduction to the Camino walking the last 100 km or so from Sarria to Santiago. We loved so much that we decided to start the other end in SJPDP and walk back towards Santiago one week per year as both my wife and I are still working and we are going when time allows. This year will be our 3rd year since departing SJPDP finishing last year in Logrono.
We have been staying in small hotels booked thus far by Mundi Plus and get our main baggage transferred from hotel to hotel walking with a small backpack for the day.
I know reading various posts for some time this is frowned upon by some pilgrims. Some day if the good Lord keeps me healthy I would like to do the full Camino from end to end using albergues on the route but for now this suits the my party of people. I find it a fantastic experience and it doesn't really bother men if other people have issues with me doing the Camino in this way.
On the leg of the Camino we done in 2017 from Burgette to Pamplona we had this strange experience where as we were progressing from town to town and seeing faces that you begin to recognise (as you do on tha Camino) a lady who was carrying a large backpack seemed to take umbridge with the fact that we were travelling lighter and commented while we passed and she was resting "Here comes the people with the small backpacks",not in a jovial or friendly fashion but a rather cynical or derisory way .We came accross her twice and had the same experience with her ,unusually she seemed to have a Scottish accent the first time and American the second so not quite sure where she was from .
Now don't get me wrong I have tremendous admiration for anyone that does the Camino in this way and as I said already would love to do it that way myself .Saying all that I believe the Camino is a personal journey shared with others regardless of what way you do it ,think anything else is missing the point .
Looking forward to comments

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi All,
This year will be our 4th year on the CF .The first year was my introduction to the Camino walking the last 100 km or so from Sarria to Santiago. We loved so much that we decided to start the other end in SJPDP and walk back towards Santiago one week per year as both my wife and I are still working and we are going when time allows. This year will be our 3rd year since departing SJPDP finishing last year in Logrono.
We have been staying in small hotels booked thus far by Mundi Plus and get our main baggage transferred from hotel to hotel walking with a small backpack for the day.
I know reading various posts for some time this is frowned upon by some pilgrims. Some day if the good Lord keeps me healthy I would like to do the full Camino from end to end using albergues on the route but for now this suits the my party of people. I find it a fantastic experience and it doesn't really bother men if other people have issues with me doing the Camino in this way.
On the leg of the Camino we done in 2017 from Burgette to Pamplona we had this strange experience where as we were progressing from town to town and seeing faces that you begin to recognise (as you do on tha Camino) a lady who was carrying a large backpack seemed to take umbridge with the fact that we were travelling lighter and commented while we passed and she was resting "Here comes the people with the small backpacks",not in a jovial or friendly fashion but a rather cynical or derisory way .We came accross her twice and had the same experience with her ,unusually she seemed to have a Scottish accent the first time and American the second so not quite sure where she was from .
Now don't get me wrong I have tremendous admiration for anyone that does the Camino in this way and as I said already would love to do it that way myself .Saying all that I believe the Camino is a personal journey shared with others regardless of what way you do it ,think anything else is missing the point .
This situation is always going to occur particularly on the CF. Everyone thinks their way is the best, or only way to walk the Camino. I copped flak when walking the CF (but not on any other trail) for not staying in albergues...I tried it & it doesn't work for me so if available, I choose other options.
Ignore the derisive comments...or better still, just smile & know its the person making the remarks who has the problem, not you. Although their words can sting or leave a bitter taste, don't let them impact your enjoyment.
Your journey, your way. We're all different.
👣🌏

Last edited:
You helped that person feel better about herself by letting her look down at you without starting a fight. Good for you! There will always be people who are so unsure of themselves they have to put others down.

I like to help them out by wearing socks in my sandals. That lets the majority of people who see me have that superior feeling.;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi All,
I know reading various posts for some time this is frowned upon by some pilgrims. Someday if the good Lord keeps me healthy I would like to do the full Camino from end to end using albergues on the route but for now, this suits my party of people. I find it a fantastic experience and it doesn't really bother men if other people have issues with me doing the Camino in this way.
On the leg of the Camino we done in 2017 from Burgette to Pamplona we had this strange experience whereas we were progressing from town to town and seeing faces that you begin to recognize (as you do on tha Camino) a lady who was carrying a large backpack seemed to take umbrage with the fact that we were traveling lighter and commented while we passed and she was resting "Here comes the people with the small backpacks", not in a jovial or friendly fashion but a rather cynical or derisory way . We came across her twice and had the same experience with her, unusually she seemed to have a Scottish accent the first time and American the second so not quite sure where she was from.
Now don't get me wrong I have tremendous admiration for anyone that does the Camino in this way and as I said already would love to do it that way myself. Saying all that I believe the Camino is a personal journey shared with others regardless of what way you do it, think anything else is missing the point.

A true pilgrim (a dangerous phrase to use under almost any circumstance) is not concerned about the way another pilgrim does the Camino. They are concerned about each individual and if they are able to provide cheer, friendship, and aid as possible.
When you confront those that fail that test then our job is to smile, wish them a Buen Camino, and walk on. You appear to have already responded well on your past Caminos; carry on and ignore anything you might perceive as negative.
I appreciate this counsel, "it is not personal". None of the fellow pilgrims you will meet know you; they have no knowledge of your personal circumstances. As such, they have no ability to judge your personal choices.

Last edited:
For purists who insist on an authentic, medieval, pilgrimage, there needs to be a bit of plague and famine.
For the rest of us, there are hot showers, mochila transportation, flights home, and WiFi. It's fine to use whatever services you prefer to use and anyone who disagrees should show you their smallpox scars.

As my teenage daughter would say, “That sounds like a THEM problem”. Ignore the comments, walk your Camino. For every one person who critiques, there are dozens who are happy to see a fellow pilgrim walking the path.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I know reading various posts for some time this is frowned upon by some pilgrims.
Anto, when I saw your post this morning I almost replied. Then I said: hold on, let's take a bit of time here. Your presence, my presence, on this forum, is authentic. Not determined by what anyone else thinks of you, or me. There can be millions of posts about what a true pilgrim is or how a true pilgrim acts or looks. You and your wife are following a star, literally. Just focus on the star. The field of stars. Try not to be affected by opinions. Buen Camino to you both.

commented while we passed and she was resting "Here comes the people with the small backpacks",not in a jovial or friendly fashion but a rather cynical or derisory way .
One response: "I can put some rocks in your pack if that will make you happier."

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Camino mirrors the real world. Most of the people are friendly, understanding, and really don't care what you are, where you are from, how rich or poor you are, or whether you stay in hotels or albergues. But there always will be a few who take their pleasure in either feeling superior or making others feel inferior. The best way to handle that is to buy them a cafe in the nearest bar (and two for yourself). I found that it really confuses my enemies when I am nice to them. They keep thinking that I have something in mind :)

Don't care... Just smile 😉
Better to walk what you can do in so less time then to not walk at all.
Only persistence pays off 👣
Buen Camino 👍

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi @Anto, no pilgrim should worry about how the others make THEIR CAMINO, el Camino is a metaphor of our lives, it brings out almost every little “battle” we are fighting, that’s what makes us react to others ...so if you walk “lite” or “heavy” that’s YOUR CAMINO...do as you please, walk as you want, listen to what you choose to listen, but never forget to ENJOY YOUR JOURNEY !!!! BUEN CAMINO 👏🏼👏🏼

Hi All,
Absolutely! Not all of us due to disabilities can carry weight on our backs! I would LOVE to be able to do this as when I was younger, but now the only way I can walk is with a fanny pack where the weight is on my hips. I had herniations in my neck from an injury at work, so it causes intense pain if I have weight on my back. This traveler obviously has no compassion or understanding that all of us have our own needs and better to walk the Camino with a fanny pack or day pack than not walk it at all!!!

Hi All,
Good for you. It is your Camino, do it whatever way that suits you and enjoy. Ignore the begrudgers 😁

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Everyone walks their own Camino. This was one of the bigger lessons in compassion that I learned - and am STILL learning. You don't owe anyone any answers - to echo the teenager of a previous commenter, it's a "them problem". Your journey is about you and you only. I like to imagine that the people who say such things to others would change their tune if they were to take the time to talk to others and think about it but that's their lesson to learn and not necessarily yours to teach.

I hope you are bolstered by the comments on the forum and have an excellent 4th Camino. :)

I wonder if that woman who scoffed at you thought she was getting paid by the pound. :) I like it when people pass me - I've met some of my favorite Camino friends that way!

It doesn’t seem to matter what you do. Someone will always have her or his nose out of joint when you pass by.
For me, it was passing someone (I usually travel very light and take long strides, though they’re shortening as I get older and walk smarter) who saw fit to comment about people who get their bags transported, even though I’ve always carried my own stuff. What can one say, except “buen Camino” and move on? There will always be someone better than me. Luckily I don’t care.
All the best,
Paul

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back