• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 20 APR 15 -- Feeling Like A Mountain Goat -- Smelling Like One As Well

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
20 April 2015 - La Portela de Valcarce to Triacastela -- 36.1 Kms

Today was a hump day -- I know for a fact -- tomorrow when I get up -- it will hurt -- but once I get moving again -- life will be good -- today was all uphill -- sorry - up mountain -- and of course once you go up you have to go down -- my knees hate me -- really beautiful country -- and I really did enjoy the uphill climbs -

Important Note: If you have a choice of Wine in a bottle and Wine in a Juice Carton -- Take the Bottle.

Now I walked for about 11 hours today -- I finished my Zombie Book and after a check of the Ipod I am zero balance on any more Zombie Adventures -- total bummer -- still have not figured out how to get the Wiggles off my Ipod -- but regardless -- no complaints -- feet are doing good -- taped the left foot up with a basic ankle wrap (falling arch and probably stress fracture), blister on the right heel will not heal until after this little adventure - so goal is to keep it clean and padded -- will probably lose only two toe nails -- so overall in pretty good shape -- plus a killer scruffy beard : ).

Animal Droppings. I guess most normal people do not pay attention to droppings (using a PC word for crap) -- well when you are walking for 9 to 11 hours a day you cannot help but see all kinds of droppings -- so as I walk by I try to identify what type of critter dropped the droppings -- Sheep, pretty easy to ID -- lots of sheep droppings; Horse -- too easy; Deer -- simple; big dog -- scary; Cows -- all I can say is splat -- and I do not want splat on my boots --- fortunately have not had to dodge any human droppings in the middle of the trail -- that would be just gross -- did have a great idea -- Animal Dropping Flash Cards -- I mean you have flash cards for insects, birds, footprints - why not Droppings? Doubt my wife would approve.

On today's hike ran into my buddy from Idaho -- what a good guy -- we did a selfie on his camera -- also ran into a group of young Spanish ladies (young as in my age : ) ) -- they were slack packing -- which means they had their packs shipped forward and only brought day packs - these ladies walked really fast -- I did not try to keep up with them -- I am not sure how they were able to walk fast and constantly talk -- must be a lady thing -- guys are not wired that way -- we just like to breath and not make noise.

Strange Cow Encounter: So moving out and having a great walk when I came by a pasture full of cows -- I look over and catch eye contact with a black cow with orange ear tags (must be a Cow Fashion thing) -- as I continue to walk bye -- the cow follows me with its head maintaining eye contact -- for some strange reason I thought the cow thought it was superior to the walking, sweating guy -- the only thing I can say is STEAK!!

It is hard to believe, but as of today -- only 83 more miles to Santiago -- tomorrow will pass through Sarria, which is the closet starting point to Santiago where you can get your Compostela -- will probably see more Pilgrims on the trail compared to the last couple of days - It is exciting -- plus - My wife will be waiting to take me home -- not sure if I told my wife that I do not have my International Driver's License with me -- so navigator status only : )

Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You are going so fast! You went all the way up the mountain and down the other side today. That's a crazy distance you traveled. I am trying to read the Brierley guide each day, but I can't keep up with the reading. Today you traveled 11 pages! I don't know how you have time to keep us informed as well.

Say Buen Camino to all the new pilgrims on the trail and make their day!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Today was a hump day -- I know for a fact -- tomorrow when I get up -- it will hurt -- but once I get moving again -- life will be good -- today was all uphill -- sorry - up mountain -- and of course once you go up you have to go down -- my knees hate me -- really beautiful country -- and I really did enjoy the uphill climbs -

Important Note: If you have a choice of Wine in a bottle and Wine in a Juice Carton -- Take the Bottle.

Now I walked for about 11 hours today -- I finished my Zombie Book and after a check of the Ipod I am zero balance on any more Zombie Adventures -- total bummer -- still have not figured out how to get the Wiggles off my Ipod -- but regardless -- no complaints -- feet are doing good -- taped the left foot up with a basic ankle wrap (falling arch and probably stress fracture), blister on the right heel will not heal until after this little adventure - so goal is to keep it clean and padded -- will probably lose only two toe nails -- so overall in pretty good shape -- plus a killer scruffy beard : ).

Animal Droppings. I guess most normal people do not pay attention to droppings (using a PC word for crap) -- well when you are walking for 9 to 11 hours a day you cannot help but see all kinds of droppings -- so as I walk by I try to identify what type of critter dropped the droppings -- Sheep, pretty easy to ID -- lots of sheep droppings; Horse -- too easy; Deer -- simple; big dog -- scary; Cows -- all I can say is splat -- and I do not want splat on my boots --- fortunately have not had to dodge any human droppings in the middle of the trail -- that would be just gross -- did have a great idea -- Animal Dropping Flash Cards -- I mean you have flash cards for insects, birds, footprints - why not Droppings? Doubt my wife would approve.

On today's hike ran into my buddy from Idaho -- what a good guy -- we did a selfie on his camera -- also ran into a group of young Spanish ladies (young as in my age : ) ) -- they were slack packing -- which means they had their packs shipped forward and only brought day packs - these ladies walked really fast -- I did not try to keep up with them -- I am not sure how they were able to walk fast and constantly talk -- must be a lady thing -- guys are not wired that way -- we just like to breath and not make noise.

Strange Cow Encounter: So moving out and having a great walk when I came by a pasture full of cows -- I look over and catch eye contact with a black cow with orange ear tags (must be a Cow Fashion thing) -- as I continue to walk bye -- the cow follows me with its head maintaining eye contact -- for some strange reason I thought the cow thought it was superior to the walking, sweating guy -- the only thing I can say is STEAK!!

It is hard to believe, but as of today -- only 83 more miles to Santiago -- tomorrow will pass through Sarria, which is the closet starting point to Santiago where you can get your Compostela -- will probably see more Pilgrims on the trail compared to the last couple of days - It is exciting -- plus - My wife will be waiting to take me home -- not sure if I told my wife that I do not have my International Driver's License with me -- so navigator status only : )

Buen Camino
You daily report is better that a reading a book. I'm enjoying your daily reports very much.35 more nights for my adventure to start. God Bless you, and Thank you:) you are so funny!

Buen Camino
Oh, Grogan, you've passed it now, but did you manage to find the crepe lady in Fonfría? Or, rather, did she find you? :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
By the time you reach Sarria your "unwashed" persona will qualify you as a "real pilgrim" as you join up with the ranks of the washed and perfumed hordes:rolleyes:!

Most EU countries don't require a international drivers license. If you have your home state drivers license you should be ok. Glad to hear your still alive and well. Long dry spell on your posts.

Happy Trails

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back