• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

20 days of Camino Frances

MatijaMataja

Time of past OR future Camino
/
Hi Pelegrinos,

I have a question for all of you who completed Camino Frances. I will be walking it in 10 days. I'm aware I don't have enough time to complete it fully, since I have just 20 days. Would you suggest me to skip some part of it to finish my Camino in Santiago or would you suggest me to walk it as far as I make and continue from there next time?

Many thanks for your opinion.

Bon Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Holas @MatijaMataja
Welcome to the Forum. This is a difficult question to accurately answer as by skipping any of the Camino between St Jean and Santiago you may miss a special place.
I am unaware of your home country and how easy it is for you to return, so please bare this in mind:
My suggestion : start walking from your starting point and walk until your 20 days are up. This town/city/village will now become your recommencement point when you return. I have completed (by my estimates) two caminos - I cycled from Pamplona (in 2015) and walked from St Jean in May/June 2017 and I would not recommend missing one single kilometre.
I can understand that this is not the answer you wanted. If you can provide more info, such as your starting point then maybe other pilgrims will provide the answer you want. Buen Camino!

I would estimate how far I can walk each day and choose a place that would allow me to get to Santiago. There is just something very special about ending your Camino there. You can use https://godesalco.com/plan/frances to plan. Sahagun would be a good place to start. And definitely underestimate how many kms you can walk each day. If you have extra time you can spend it walking to Finisterre and/or Muxia, or just hanging around Santiago.

Or you could choose a shorter route, like the Primitivo and do a "complete" Camino.

My other choice would be as @Saint Mike II suggests, and start in SJPdP and walk as far as you can. I don't like the idea of skipping sections.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@MatijaMataja, it depends on either you plan to return and how important the Compostella is for you.
I have only 13 days and after millions back and forth decided to start from SJPP and finish where I finish. If everything goes well and I realize that it really was what I needed, I plan to return in a few years, perhaps taking family members. Furthermore, SDC is not so crucial for me, if ever I can I would like to finish in Fisterra.
Some people under similar circumstances as yours decide to skip parts, most often the Meseta (Burgos to Leon), plus I would start in Pamplona to save a few more days and exhaustion of the first days.

My suggestion is to walk from your desired start point and ask questions of the veteran walkers you meet, specifically whether you should walk, skip or bike the meseta (or part of it.) Some people really dislike the meseta and others love walking it.

The meseta is roughly Burgos to Leon or Astorga and there are businesses that rent bikes for this stretch. The biking might be enough to get you to Santiago in the time you have available. By the time you reach Burgos you should have a good idea of what would be best for you.

Hi Pelegrinos,

I have a question for all of you who completed Camino Frances. I will be walking it in 10 days. I'm aware I don't have enough time to complete it fully, since I have just 20 days. Would you suggest me to skip some part of it to finish my Camino in Santiago or would you suggest me to walk it as far as I make and continue from there next time?

Bon Camino
I wouldn't skip sections but would either start further on so as to be able to walk continuously to Santiago or, preferably, walk as far as you get and return later to finish it. Many Europeans walk it in the latter fashion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Pelegrinos,

Bon Camino
Hola,

If you know that at some time in future you'll return to Camino Frances then by all means walk whatever distance you can in the time available to you. From SJPdP of course.
But if it is one-time-event for you then I would suggest walking from Leon and continue to Fisterra/Muxia. This is very doable in 20 days.

Buen Camino

PS (Slovenian or Croatian perhaps?)

Please do not skip anything, it is all is a well tuned meal, you will meet a lot of stretches that do have their challenges and their merits.
If you already know you only have limited time, you could plan to take the whole CF in instalments:

- for instance from Leon to wherever you will end in 10 days, then retreat to base and then come back another time. (ps I got this wrong in the OP, read 20 days, still good for reacing SdC)
If you do start with the Pyrenees, you will have had all the hardship of crossing, and the aftermath with sore muscles the rest of the 10 days, (now read 20 days ) - and then you have to go home - without the benefilts of the nicer stretches.
You might think it is just a hard, hard excertion..
To reach Burgos will take you a full 12 days....
Leaving out the Meseta btw Burgos and Leon for me is a mistake.....
- taking Leon to whereever in ten ( 20 days) days would be a good taster of things both interesting and beautiful, you will gather info on what it is all about, and get a good idea for the Caminos to come...

Buen Camino....

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Pelegrinos,

Bon Camino

Start in Burgos and walk to Santiago.

I had 22 days my first Camino. We started in Pamplona and skipped the Meseta. We walked the rest. It absolutely gave us a "complete Camino feel". I've been back twice since and have walked from SJPP and leaving in 2 weeks for the 4th time and will finally get to the Meseta. So....what I am trying to say is, you will/might be back for more so don;t stress too much about it. Just do what somehow seems to appeal the most to you right now. As many have said: The Camino will be there for years to come. :) Have fun !

Have I missed the point,
was it not 20 days in total stated in OP and only 10 days for walking proper, or am I mistaken..?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mea Culpa,
I see what you mean.
That is another kettle of fish, then...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back