• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

20 miles to Santiago from the east and 20 miles from the west

Martha Moreno

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2017
Hello everyone - My husband and I would like to walk 15 or 20 miles going from the east and then 15 or 20 miles from the west. We were alotting two days. Can anyone tell me a good starting point for each situation?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The sizable town of Negreira is about 21 km / 13 miles to the west of Santiago on the way to Finisterre and Muxia. Walking the caminos in reverse can present problems as the yellow arrows point in the wrong direction and can be hard to find because they are on the wrong side of poles and such. I suggest walking from Santiago to Negreira. Besides the camino being easier to find, when you get to Negreira you know how much sightseeing time you have before catching the bus back.

This shows hourly buses:
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Negreira/Santiago-de-Compostela

Thanks so much, Rick and Peg for the information! So from the east to Santiago what would be a 15 to 20 mile mark? Thanks again and "buen camino".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks so much, Rick and Peg for the information! So from the east to Santiago what would be a 15 to 20 mile mark? Thanks again and "buen camino".
I am so sorry - I'm getting mixed up - never was good with directions! so Negreira is coming from the Finisterre direction? so what I was asking was coming from the Pyrenees direction, what would be the 15 to 20 mile mark from Santiago?

Thanks in advance!

I am so sorry - I'm getting mixed up - never was good with directions! so Negreira is coming from the Finisterre direction? so what I was asking was coming from the Pyrenees direction, what would be the 15 to 20 mile mark from Santiago?

Thanks in advance!
one more thing - I misread your reply - Negreira is coming from the Finisterre direction. So coming from the Pyrenees direction, what would the 15 to 20 mile mark be - to Santiago? thanks

Hola - do you really mean miles - ie 24 - 32 kms?

I'm also not clear on the east and west thing! There are natural starting points on all of the routes as they approach Santiago - you could start in Sigueiro or Dexiebre on the Camino Inglés or Puente Ulla on the Via de la Plata Padrón on the Camino Portugués. All of these places are accessible on public transport from Santiago
On the Camino Frances you could get a bus out to Arca/Pedruso or get the bus to the airport, get off at Lavacolla and walk into the city with the tide of arriving pilgrims.

I hope that this helps.

John

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Martha Moreno this popular site may answer all your questions as it provides route descriptions, distances and accommodation information for virtually every current camino route http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago

Searching 'Santiago de Compostella' on google.maps might also help with your orientation.

Are you planning to base yourselves in Santiago, travel out and walk back? If so, unless you are intending to use taxis you may find your potential origins and destinations are constrained by the availability and timings of public transport. The 'Travelling to / from the Camino" pages on this site may help with that planning.

And I must admit that my curiosity is piqued by your question. Why walk 15-20 miles into Santiago twice, from two different directions? Why not walk 40 miles in one direction?

one more thing - I misread your reply - Negreira is coming from the Finisterre direction. So coming from the Pyrenees direction, what would the 15 to 20 mile mark be - to Santiago? thanks
Well, 15 miles is about 25 km (closer to 24 but 25 is easier to work with) and 20 miles is about 32 km.

The web page http://trekopedia.com/?page_id=3225 breaks the Camino Frances into small sections going from place to place. See stages 32 and 33.

I would suggest O Pedrouzo as the starting point with about 20 km. Santa Irene to Santiago is about 23 km. Arzúa to Santiago is about 40 km.

However that is on the Camino Frances. Perhaps someone who has done both the Portugese camino and the Frances might suggest entering Sanitiago via the CP instead (from the south?).

This interactive map may help you out:
https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=42.861355,-8.554458&z=11&t=m

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone - My husband and I would like to walk 15 or 20 miles going from the east and then 15 or 20 miles from the west. We were alotting two days. Can anyone tell me a good starting point for each situation?
I don't like to ask somebody "why" they are asking a question, but here it would definitely help us make suggestions. What is your purpose in this unusual plan? You said you have allocated 2 days. Does that include travel time from Santiago to the east and west starting points? It does seem like an odd wait to experience the Camino.

Thanks very much, everyone for all of the useful information! I truly am looking forward to this pilgrimage, even though our method is a little unorthodox!

if I were them (well, if I were a 'we'), we'd be starting each from the east and west and meeting at the cathedral. some sort of romantic thing that is not really me (or "we" if I were a "we"):)
so that's what I'm going to imagine since she is playing her cards close to her vest.

If I were a "we" I ---er, "we"--would instead each of us walk to Muxia to meet (with the stronger walker taking the longer route, with perhaps a head start)

edit: and as long as I am imagining, we'd stay again at the de lolo, and eat pulpo and padron peppers and watch the sun set...and be young again:)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for the information. At the risk of sounding disloyal to my husband, and that is not my intention, I would rather just set off from a point 40 miles from Santiago and do it in two days that way. He has his reasons - mostly relating to accommodation. - We have a hotel in Santiago as our base. I don't know.....

if I were them (well, if I were a 'we'), we'd be starting each from the east and west and meeting at the cathedral. some sort of romantic thing that is not really me (or "we" if I were a "we"):)
so that's what I'm going to imagine since she is playing her cards close to her vest.

If I were a "we" I ---er, "we"--would instead each of us walk to Muxia to meet (with the stronger walker taking the longer route, with perhaps a head start)

edit: and as long as I am imagining, we'd stay again at the de lolo, and eat pulpo and padron peppers and watch the sun set...and be young again:)
If you read the reply to JohnnyWalker, you will get some insight into the motivating factor here. I pulled " my cards a little from my vest."

We either go in late March or late May. Which is preferable? If I had my druthers we would be taking a month or so off and walk the entire camino. But a month off is not an option. Eventually, we can walk the whole thing.

If you read the reply to JohnnyWalker, you will get some insight into the motivating factor here. I pulled " my cards a little from my vest."
in that case, I do get wanting a hotel "base station" ...an alternative could be using bus or taxi out and back
to make this clear with an example, on the Norte many of the few albergues weren't open yet and I found a great hotel on the beach, balcony over the water, excellent food. I was hooked. I stayed that night. The next day I walked the step then took the train back to my piece of heaven. The following morning I took the train to where I last stopped, walked the next step, and returned.
At any rate, good luck. March vs May depends in part when Easter falls, and how you feel about cold vs crowds I think

Hola Martha - I think that Santiago is a fantastic place to visit and to use as a base for day walks perhaps to try out what walking a Camino is like. Because of this I have devised walking notes for the last stages of each of the routes as they approach Santiago. The starting points are all readily accessible by public transport. Also for the same reason I devised the Route of Routes which is a day walk around the city touching on each of the Camino routes as well as leading up to Monte Pedruso with fabulous panoramic views.

If you want more information on any of this just email me. I'm currently walking the Camino Mozárabe but I'll be back home on the 25th.

John

Hola Martha - I think that Santiago is a fantastic place to visit and to use as a base for day walks perhaps to try out what walking a Camino is like. Because of this I have devised walking notes for the last stages of each of the routes as they approach Santiago. The starting points are all readily accessible by public transport. Also for the same reason I devised the Route of Routes which is a day walk around the city touching on each of the Camino routes as well as leading up to Monte Pedruso with fabulous panoramic views.

If you want more information on any of this just email me. I'm currently walking the Camino Mozárabe but I'll be back home on the 25th.

John
Thanks so much, John. I am sure that the information will prove really useful. I will be in touch after your return. What is the Camino Moz`arabe?

Martha

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

John
Hi - again - I viewed your video about via de la plata, and noticed, if you were indeed the one speaking, that you had a Scottish accent? My daughter is a graduate student at the University of Glasgow. I myself have travelled to Saint Andrews as a teenager. On prior trips, we have been to the highlands and the isle of skye. We will go to our daughter's master's graduation in Linguistics at the end of this month. Of course, if you are instead, Irish, I made a total fool of myself!

Martha

We either go in late March or late May. Which is preferable? If I had my druthers we would be taking a month or so off and walk the entire camino. But a month off is not an option. Eventually, we can walk the whole thing.
Martha I wish you well on your quest. Thanks for introducing me to the phrase, 'If I had my druthers'!!!! :):D

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back