• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

20 things to do and see in Santiago de Compostela

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for the info John. I plan to stay a day or 2 when I reach Santiago.
Does the Cathedral have a schedule of when they will swing the botafumeiro during the pilgrims mass and can we access the schedule online?

Indyrem

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Usually, the Pilgrim Office can tell you.
But I think I saw on this forum in the past week or so a posting that said they'd be swinging it every day during the summer? Was I dreaming?

Hola

The Chamber of Commerce in Santiago have arranged for the Botafumeiro to be used at the 7.30pm service every Friday evening. Apart from that it is pot luck. It isn't possible to tell in advance if it is going to be used. The rule of thumb is that if it is hanging it will be used at some point during the day.

John

JohnnieWalker said:
The Chamber of Commerce in Santiago have arranged for the Botafumeiro to be used at the 7.30pm service every Friday evening. Apart from that it is pot luck. It isn't possible to tell in advance if it is going to be used.
John

Thanks for that info, having completed 3 caminos, and visited the cathedral daily during my several day stays in Santiago and I have never seen the Botafumeiro. On this years Camino I'll need to time my arrival/ stay to include Friday. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for the info, John! I'll definitely be checking a few of these out next time!

Guess I'll have to time my arrival/stay in Santiago to include a Friday as I would love to see the Botafumiero also.

Remy from Indy

One of my favourite places in Santiago was the Museo do Pobo Galego - No 11 on your list as the Museum of Galicia. A young pilgrim from New York who had just finished her degree in architecture told me about this place. It has a magnificent triple staircase that spirals around. It's hard to depict how it works in a photo: three separate staircases start at the bottom and you step off them onto separate floors. Quite confusing!

I was really glad I had a few days to explore Santiago at the end of all my walking in June last year, as I found so many interesting places to visit. It helped of course that the weather was kind, as there was a lot of hugely vibrant street life to observe as well.
Margaret

Attachments

• triple staircase.jpg
    triple staircase.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,516
ffp13 said:
JohnnieWalker said:
The Chamber of Commerce in Santiago have arranged for the Botafumeiro to be used at the 7.30pm service every Friday evening. Apart from that it is pot luck. It isn't possible to tell in advance if it is going to be used.
John

Are we safe in assuming that the Botafumeiro will be used on the Feastday of St. James, July 25th? Where would we find the posted Mass times for that day?

Gracias!
Farmer John

Farmer John said:
ffp13 said:
Are we safe in assuming that the Botafumeiro will be used on the Feastday of St. James, July 25th? Where would we find the posted Mass times for that day?

Gracias!
Farmer John

Definitely it is used on the Feast of the Saint. Mass times are posted in the cathedral. On the eve of the Feast there are Sung Vespers in the cathedral with the Archbishop and Cathedral Choir. Thereafter 10,000 people or so gather in the square for a magnificent sound and light show about 11.30 culminating in a fabulous fireworks display.

In the morning the main mass begins with the arrival of the King or his representative in the main square. As the troops are inspected military bands play. As this is going on the Archbishop's procession leaves by the side door of the church and church and state meet in the middle of the square and mount the steps to the cathedral.

Here is an account of a previous feast day:

http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... chive.html

Dear John and other members,

Does anybody know about the progress of restoration of the Portico of Glory in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela? When I visited the Cathedral last time in May/June 2012 that Portico was covered by the scaffolds because of restoration and it was impossible to see the statues of Jesus, Apostles and Prophets. That restoration is going to be finished in Septeber this year. I would like to know has that restoration any progress by now and shall I be able to take some pictures of those fabulous statues?

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Oleg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am sure that John will fill in any gaps but it is my undstanding that restoration has not even yet begun. The scaffolding has been in place for some years now and has been used to access and analyse the state of decay mostly from water damage. I don´t believe that to date any decisions have been made about just what exactly will have to be done, when, or who will pay for it.
Right JW?
Under the main steps there is an excellent exhibition on a "Virtual Portico" which will explain and illustrate the extent of the damage and the work needed to be done. I believe it is sponsored by "Granell Foundation" or something like it. I don´t have the little booklet they gave me close by.
Free and well worth the visit.
In the meantime, if you are in London, go to the Victoria and Albert Museum and see the Portico there!
And if you want to bump heads with Master Mateo go to the restaurant of the same name on Rua Nova in Compostela.
Where there's a will there's a way...

Roger Ma’am,

Thank you for your information. You are as always very useful help provider. So, no problem one day they will finish that restoration.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Priscillian said:
I am sure that John will fill in any gaps but it is my understanding that restoration has not even yet begun. The scaffolding has been in place for some years now and has been used to access and analyse the state of decay mostly from water damage. I don´t believe that to date any decisions have been made about just what exactly will have to be done, when, or who will pay for it.
Right JW?

The Victoria and Albert seem to think that the 'restoration' is ongoing? :-
http://www.vam.ac.uk/whatson/event/1664 ... noon-2810/
Sadly the tickets would be beyond my means even if I could have got hold of one (or two!!) Plus the return fare to the Big Smoke etc . . . . .!
It would be good to know exactly what is happening to the real thing before we plan a return to Santiago. :)

Blessings
Tio Tel

"It would be good to know exactly what is happening to the real thing before we plan a return to Santiago."

Not a heck of a lot I am afraid...at least nothing visible. But you CAN go on the roof and down in the excavations, and both are great fun!

Find yourself.
Find your new friends.
Find a cafe and drink Cuarenta y Tres (43). My new friends put me onto it.
Buy new clothes (couldn't put my old ones on one more day)\
Eat at a restaurant - no pilgrim's menu
Buy yourself something special
Write postcards

Hi Dear Members,
Let me repeat my old question. The question is "does anybody know about the progress of restoration of the Portico of Glory in the cathedral of Santiago de Compostela and portal of Platerios (South Portal)? Is it possible to get in through southern gate and get out from the west one?
Thank you in advance?
Sincerely,
Oleg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I requested a Mass to be offered with the botafumerio from the Cathederal for May 27th. Here is the update from the Cathederal: “We are contacting you to inform you that unfortunately the...
Does Ivan's place close for siesta or dinner? Trying to sort how to get my stored luggage and I know places close in Spain even when their doors say the hours they are open. Are we supposed to...
Anyone from the forum working in the Pilgrim’s Office May 1-14? We’ll be walking two Caminos and will say hi if you are!
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back