• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2008 Brierley Guide

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes - you can easily walk with the CSJ guide and Ben Cole's maps.
Camino De Santiago Maps: From St-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago and on to Finisterre
Ben Cole Price: £8.00 Release Date: 1 March 2008

Synopsis
The first detailed map of the Camino de Santiago, Europe's most popular Pilgrimage, is now available. The Camino de Santiago (the Way of St James) is a glorious 500 mile walk across the north of Spain, following an ancient pilgrimage route west to the magnificent cathedral at Santiago de Compostela.
40 full-colour trail maps at 1:100,000 scale and 6 city maps guide pilgrims across this ever-popular route, walked by more than 100,000 pilgrims each year.
This 'mapbook' strips the Camino de Santiago down to its bare essentials. Each map page includes picture icons for accommodation, cafes, restaurants, shops, tourist information, banks and cashpoints.
7 detailed accommodation pages list every albergue (pilgrim hostel) along the way, along with hotels and other places to stay for every budget."The Camino de Santiago Map" is lightweight, compact, fits on bookshelves or map racks, and slides into pockets or backpacks.
In book format with an easy-to-use covered spiral-bound spine, the 'mapbook' lies flat and stays open even during the strongest gales: no wrestling or origami skills required.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Is there an online source for the Ben Cole maps mentioned in the previous post? Ta.

If there is, maybe the link should be posted in a new thread with a different title.

- Derek

The Ben Cole book is here at amazon.co.uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Camino-Santiago ... 858&sr=1-2

A search in books with camino and map will also bring up the Brierley book - and I think his maps are still better than those in the exisitng Ben Cole book

What is interesting is that both have stripped their existing books in order to make them more portable - so bye, bye to the thoughts on spirituality and bird drawings and just concentrating on the practical

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I just received the updated Brierley Guide and already had the CJS guide. I'm surprised though, I thought the Brierley guide would be more the maps with key info...not a rehash of the history, things to take, etc, which add to the weight. I've got plenty of "explanations" about things, I just wanted solid info in map form. Don't get me wrong, the guide is great...just not what I expected.

Well VT, looks like it's either the guide...minus the trivia..or the chair. That chair is looking more like a liability all the time. See, I am trainable!

Buen Camino,
Arn

hmmm, I'm not sure I get all of this...the routes are generally really well waymarked - follow the arrows, use a simple guidebook like the CSJ for details of accomodation and do the background reading in advance - or log on en route. Weight weight weight !

Arn said:
I thought the Brierley guide would be more the maps with key info

He has an upcoming book that seems to be more map-oriented that's listed on Amazon: Camino de Santiago Maps / Mapas / Cartes: St. Jean Pied de Port/Roncesvalles - Finisterre via Santiago de Compostela (Paperback). However, it looks like it hasn't been released yet - and it may not be out in time for your Camino.

Even so, I found his regular book to be invaluable, text and all - so much so that I gave away my CSJ guide in Roncesvalles. But, everyone has their own thing. Heck, you can always take the pages you really want out of the guide, staple/bind them together, and toss the rest.

Arn said:
That chair is looking more like a liability all the time. See, I am trainable!

Every pound counts, and if you can get away without using one, you're that much better off. But if you need one due to your back, that's the way it is. Check out the PackSeat at http://www.magellans.com - maybe it will work for you... :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Vinotinto wrote:and it may not be out in time for your Camino.

Once again, "Better a good plan today..then the perfect plan never"

I've got a few weeks left before I leave and my plans have gone through a few changes (most changes based on the fantastic info gleaned from this Forum) this is a fast moving train and I'm so glad I'm on it,

Thanks all...so much!

Arn

Arn said:
I've got a few weeks left before I leave

Short timer! Man, yer so short you could free-fall off of a dime for a week! Cool, bro - don't forget to post some stuff on the "Live from the Camino" thread when you start walking... :) :arrow:

I've been visiting Brierley's site for the past month or so (which links you to the bookseller), and the St. PP-to-Santiago guide is completely sold out. Anyone have any idea when it's going to be replenished? I'm not walking for a few months yet but there's no indication as to when the Guide's going to become available. There is a copy available through the Confraternity to St. James but at a SIGNIFICANT markup.
Would it be better to just get the maps-only version from Amazon that's been talked about here?
What think?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
baron said:
There is a copy available through the Confraternity to St. James but at a SIGNIFICANT markup.
Would it be better to just get the maps-only version from Amazon that's been talked about here?
What think?

If you are worried about costs no guide or map is necessary. If you are worried about the CSJ profiteering remember it is a charity and the extra you pay goes to further the CSJ's work on the Camino and elsewhere including the refuguios at Rabanal and Miraz.

Buen Camino
William

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You know your departure is 'imminent' when it is too late to make such purchases as they would arrive, but remain unopened, until your return home.
Greetings to all those here who are in a similar position, and I know there are a few of us!!
Margaret

Anyone who is either UK based or passing through London en route to Spain might like to know you can buy the Brierley book off the shelf at the Stanfords book and map shop near Covent Garden in London.
There are also branches of Stanfords in Manchester and Bristol but I don't know how big they are compared to the London shop.
Stanfords are one of the biggest map and travel book stores in the world and have an amazing variety of books for travellers. They have a website http://www.stanfords.co.uk but not all their stock is listed so it is worth giving them a call if you dont find what you want.
I bought the Bethan Davies and Ben Cole guide there too. I also bought a map of El Camino Santiago (scale 1:500.000) published by Centro Nacional De Informacion Geographica which shows all the different camino routes across Northern Spain. This is not a map you would use for walking with but it is very useful for finding start and departuture points and the routes from these to the camino. It is also useful if you are planning to go 'off-camino' at any point as the guide book maps show very little of the geography of anywhere that is not directly on the path.
Of course its main uses are for pouring over and planning and then impressing your friends and family by tracing for them the distance you have walked!
Laura

I got this recently from Findhorn Press:

News

John Brierley’s seminal guide for pilgrims journeying the sacred road to Camino de Santiago is published in a revised lightweight edition and with a companion pocket size ‘maps only’ guide. I feel sure that John’s guides have helped change lives, in ways big and small. And made the pilgrimage easier.

Michael

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I received my copy of the 2008 lightweight edition of the Brierly guide from Findhorn Press today. I ordered it directly from their website. Although I may not walk the Frances this year (perhaps another Camino) I wanted a definitive English version - mine was in Spanish. I haven't had a chance to peruse it yet, but in leafing through, I'm already pleased!
The most important news, it is now available!
Buen Camino

I ordered the maps over a month ago, but still have not received them. :( I sent an email to the company yesterday, so hopefully will hear something soon. I really enjoy his guides & would love to have the maps.

Kelly

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I ordered my Brierley Map-only guide back in early March thru Amazon.com. They let me know it would be 4-5 weeks in delivery, and true enough it was. I have ordered the regular Brierley guide thru Amazon as well (2x) without any trouble at all. I think it just went thru a new printing which is why the backlog in delivery.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
WolverineDG said:
Yes, I did. I'll go back & check it out. Maybe it hadn't been released yet & I ordered it beforehand? Oy.

Kelly
I did write to them as well to see if they had delivery problems. I guess they will reply once they are back in the offices on Monday.

Update: Apparently UPS delivered the book a while back, so Findhorn Press did their job. UPS just forgot to tell me they left it under a doormat. :roll: Even though we've had some rain, the book is in good condition. :)

Kelly

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got mine shipped to our flat in the UK on 13th of May. It took only two days from online payment to delivery.
I read more-less half of it already and I have to say, that it is the best guidebook I have bought in my life. I only hope, that information in it will be actual on this year's camino.
I would highly recomment that book if anyone is looking for a good camino guide.
Kuba.

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.