• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

200km of the Camino Del Norte/Frances

Calkrizz

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello all,

I'd love to complete the full camino Frances or camino del norte but unfortunately I have a young family and a business to run which pains me. I have managed to free up 8 days where I will be traveling over and covering 200km in an ideal world in May.

Can anyone give me any advice, tips or hints on where to start the walk, which camino will have the most scenery and which will have the best opportunity to sink a few lagers down on the way.

Appreciate your help and comments in advance. Please be as critical as you can as I don't get many of these trips away and it's something I hope will be perfect

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome @Calkrizz

A couple of questions to help us to help you- Do you want to get a compostela? What kind of scenery do you like?

Flying from Manchester is a bit of a pain as there are no direct flights to Santiago de Compostela or anywhere near the popular start point for the Frances of St Jean Pied De Port. You could however fly into Bilbao and walk the Norte from there, though you would still have to work out a return flight. Might be worth joining the Facebook group "Ultreia Mancunia" to get some advice on what sections of Camino are easiest to get to and from.

In terms of being sociable and enjoying a cerveza or two the Frances is your best bet. I'd either start from somewhere like Astorga and walk to Santiago or start somewhere a little closer to Santiago like Samos (or if you stretch your walk a little O Cebreiro) walk through Santiago and on to the coast at Finisterre.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
8 days would be PERFECT for Camino de Invierno, stunning landscape, a bit lonely at times, but unique landscapes too. You can fly to Madrid, then train to Ponferrada, and then fly back to England from Santiago.
Else, you can to Ribadeo-Santiago in Norte, or Ponferrada-Santiago in Francés. You shall not be short of beer chances, even wine chances!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back