• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2010 Holy Year

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
On the DVD ‘Welcome” the authorities estimate that there will be 5 million pilgrims walking the camino in 2010.

If pilgrims are spread out over the 365.25 days in the year, there will be 13,698.6 pilgrims walking every day. But, we know that this won’t happen because the majority will walk between April and October with a high peak in July and August.

All of these pilgrims will need food, shelter, water and other services. The mind boggles!!

Consider this:

The population of Norway is 4.5 million
New York City and London each have about 7 million people
Greater Toronto Area – 5 million
Sydney – 3.9 million
Johannesburg – 3.2 million

Pshew!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having been a part of the planning staff for many large international events, I can tell you that the number of people walking the Camino, will only be exceeded by the number of people that will arrive in the region to take part, though not walk (Like the “watching” of the Bulls) but rather to benefit from the increase in custom.

On the Spanish hospitality side, major hotels are already setting aside large blocks of rooms for “tour groups” and special package deals. As some forum members have already said, the “walkers first” rule…may not be a rule at all in some of the albergues located heretofore “out of the main population centers”.

The Spanish Government, fully recognizing that existing bed space/local public facilities can’t cope, will erect “tent cities” at appropriate locations along all Camino routes. These mini-cities will include all the expected public services: sleeping, bathrooms, food, medical, communications, souvenirs, “authentic” scallop shells/walking sticks” Made in China.

And, what the local economy can’t provide, regions/countries in Spain and outside (other EU) will flood the area with cheap wine and cheaper women. For example: enterprising EU nations (business folks, not the Govt) routinely fly multiple 757/Airbus flights carrying only prostitutes to any locations where a euro can be made, this includes: the Olympics, World Cup and major troop ship stops in unsettled foreign ports.

All in all, a great time to take a route other than the Camino Frances.

Here’s a good Jan 3,’08 NYT interview with the Mayor of Santiago.
http://www.nytimes.com/global/spainregi ... nchez.html

In the article, the Mayor speaks of the many “Open green” areas in and around the city. I can see the tents sprouting up right now!

Buen Camino

Arn

Arn, you are an inspiration! I have had a vision.
A bizarre and startling vision.
First there were peregrinos. Then there were tourogrinos. Now there'll be whorogrinos!
Picture the scene - it is 2010 and for 12 months there will be raggle-taggle painted ladies plying their trade along the 20-odd camino paths in France and Spain. Wearing fishnet stockings and high heels, brandishing their official credentials, trippling their way up the route Napoleon, or on the river boulder path down from the Alto del Perdon, or perhaps skidding down the shale paths to Molinaseca, trying to seduce trail weary peregrinos! Schucks - another expense to add to the budget.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sil,

A funny thing happened on the way to the cathedral...in actuality, the painted ladies aren't there for the peregrinos (unless they go looking for each other), they are there for the large number of folks that will be supporting the entire event, government officials, shop folks, the military and, the "tour" folks who are on the Camino as the proverbial "cheap vacationistas" who probably have saved enough for a good time. Many, many uniformed services/security folks will be assigned and they will be getting "deployment" pay...something to spend on the "necessities" when away from home. You get my drift!

On the serious side, I can see where the "problems" we've discussed on many a thread "no room, early walkers, da trots, etc., could well be exacerbated 1,000 fold. Add to one's Camino the tenacity to complete it and you truly have experienced the hazards met by fellow pilgrims over these many centuries.

You know...all of a sudden...2010 is looking mighty good!

Arn

....and here I was thinking about a "pilgrimage" in the holy year....

Sounds more like the Purgatory the Plenary Indulgence is supposed to alleviate!

Buen Camino?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
http://www.csj.org.uk

Welcome; Bienvenido
A documentary DVD made by José Alvarez (El camino de Santiago: no un camino de Rosas) about the traditions of hospitality on the Way of St James, including interviews with hospitaleros in Burgos, San Bol, Rabanal del Camino, Manjarin, Villafranco del Bierzo, Monte del Gozo.
110 mins, English subtitles, some commentary in English. Suitable for World Zone 2.
Price: £15.00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMOIAbUDQNA

Arn said:
the painted ladies aren't there for the peregrinos

Geez, I hope the Camino won't look like one big Olongapo/Subic Bay (if your USMC travels ever took you to them parts, you'll know what I mean)...yikes! :arrow:

Vinotinto wrote:you'll know what I mean

Well, YES...but only because as XO of a Marine Detachment, I had to often go into those areas in search of my troops. A man, or in this case an Officer of Marines, has got to do what he's got to do!

In fact, I was the acclaimed dart champ in a little pizza place in town. As long as I keep winning, the Sammy kept coming!

As Bob Hope said, "Thanks for the memories!" :mrgreen:

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One of the Notices on the http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/noticias/ website states that:
Galicia se prepara para acoger nueve millones de turistas durante el año Xacobeo de 2010

Galicia prepares to host nine million tourists during the Xacobeo year in 2010 - a 50% increase in the number of visitors in 2004

Hi Folks,
Re numbers of pilgrims for 2010. In 2003 there were planning meetings to anticipate the million pigrims estimated for 2004 - it just didn't happen. It seems that many pilgrims deferred their journey to 2005 - it was certainly busy at times that year.
Brendan

Don´t worry. I´m putting some bunkbeds in my Salon that year, so the PTS users making the hike that year will have a place to stay when they pass through. (Fishnet stockings optional.)

Reb.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting that you should coin the phrase "whorigrinos," sil. Way back when I read that first magazine article, the writer mentioned that the term "peregrina" became a euphemism for that particular trade. Apparently, many women either ran out of money & needed to raise some quickly OR many women already engaged in that profession were attracted to the Camino since they could easily get out of town by disguising themselves as pilgrims.

(not sure how correct this is, but that's what I recall reading)

Kelly

Not that I'd have any first hand knowledge about the possible use of the term "peregina" with street walker(s) you must admit there is a somewhat tenuous connection there.

Now, here's something to consider: it's accepted that peregrino(a)s are "pilgrims" who, by virtue of the name are considered "on pilgrimage". We also know that the Way wasn't always safe for the pilgrim, though the "credential" was supposed to grant safe passage. Would it not be possible, that folks traveling the different routes of pilgrimage, would seek out groups of people because there's "safety in numbers" even if they themselves weren't on a mission for God.

Jump ahead a thousand and some years. There has always been, and will continue to be, migrant workers that leave a poor economic opportunity for a better one. And, while the trade they are trained in may be rug making, governess, maid...during their migration along the Way...they do run out of money, etc. It's recognized, by many European nations, that this is in fact a 'real" problem and, that "sex-workers" whether professional or not...continue to be a problem.i.e. un regulated they spread disease (STD/AID/HIV), burden the social systems and, have been known to break up families.

So, back to peregrinas a term held by folks of this forum with high regard. Enter the UN and other "rights" groups. The term whore, prostitute and even "sex worker" has negative connotations, SO
SHAZZZZZZZZAAAAAMMMMMMMM!!!! They soften, even add grace to the situation by anointing these ladies (of the night) peregrinas!

There you have it! IMHO!

Buen "just minding my own business" Camino,
Arn

I was told during my Camino that it is also common knowledge in Spain that many young Spanish señoritas undertake the Way for the sole purpose of finding a husband! Just another kind of "pilgrimage". I guess the gentlemen should look out for those pretty señoritas - careful, Arn! Although you might encounter your translator! :)

Buen Camino,

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Deirdre said:
Spain that many young Spanish señoritas undertake the Way for the sole purpose of finding a husband!

I can dig that - I walked with two older Spanish women (late 40s, early 50s), and the older one kept trying to fix me up with the younger one (and other gals as well). She was quite funny - very full of personality. I hung out with her and her group for a couple of days (she had 5 kids - none were walking with her, though - and sort of took me under her wing). Other pilgrims she talked to would either start laughing or begin to walk faster. And the four Spanish gals I partied with as part of the 2nd Spanish group I hooked up with were fun as well.

That said, I wouldn't mind marrying into Spanish culture. When I was stationed in Japan many moons ago as a young Marine, a couple of guys who had married foreign gals formed a drinking group called the AAAW (Alcoholics Against American Women). I didn't imbibe at the time, so I became an honorary member (hehe). Of course, there are plenty of great American women. But there's something about the foreign ladies that goes the extra kilometer with me - no wonder my closest brush with matrimony was with a South African woman in Hong Kong...ah, youth. :wink: :arrow:

Some of us ´peregrinas´ are really hardcore.
I am an American, married to an Englishman, living on the camino! (I still can´t speak Spanish to save my life...) Sometimes I think I´ve gone beyond the last kilometer right into Surreal. But I´ve never been happier!

Vinotinto wrote"my closest brush with matrimony was with a South African

VT...SA women are unique in that there's still a bit of the wild in them. When they commit, it's for life, not just for fun.

I've tried for several years to find someone as fantastic as my boer meisie. We (my kids and their spouses / kids) will be going back to ZA for a family reunion in 2010...there's no doubt they will be trying to "fix" me up. YYISSSSSSSSIIIEE!

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back