• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2010 or later? [Should I walk in Holy Year?]

Pablo_Rodriguez

My 13 year old daughter and I would really like to go on the Camino this July. However everywhere I read I am discouraged from going as it is a Holy year. What I read is that the hostels will be full - only able room will be on the floor and restaurants will be completely packed.

We have only about 2 1/2 weeks so regardless we would only be able to do about half of the Spanish leg. I have 3 options: (A) Go another year - this would make us sad :< (B) Go from the French border to around Burgos and do the remainder another time or (C) Endure the crowds and do Burgos to Santiago.

Any insights into the best option would be very much appriceated.
Thank you.

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
Re: 2010 or later?

Whether or not this would be good advice depends on you and your daughter's personalities, but I would suggest either b) from the French border to Burgos, as this is a beautiful part of the Camino and will not (relatively speaking) be as crowded as the Galician portion in the Holy Year, and then finish it off another time; or d) walk from Vezelay or Le Puy in France to the Spanish frontier, and complete the Camino another time.

In 2002, on my first Camin, I hiked for a few days with a German doctor and his 14-year old daughter, reunited after a 12-year separation, and I saw how a walk together with a father and a daughter in her early teens could be an important time for both. I am sure that you will have a great time and she will always remember those days.

alipilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Listed in my signature

Perhaps try a different route other than the Camino Frances? They are all 'caminos', and other ones are very likely not to be as busy as the Frances.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:

Why be discouraged?? It is going to be a very special, celebratory camino this year and you could both be a part of it!
Take a chance on the camino Frances. Besides having more pilgrims it will also have more support, extra accommodation is being laid on, celebrations are being planned - much more so than the other routes.
Imagine walking into Santiago in a Holy Year and experiencing the special pilgrims' mass in the cathedral and being a part of the Jubilee celebrations!
Your daughter will be 24 years old when the next Holy Year comes around and she could be married with children by then!

Advertisement

Booking.com