• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2012 online guides and state of the trail?

pedronasty

Hi All,

I am already walking the camino and am currently in Bilbao. The books I had sent over from England never arrived in Biarritz so I have had to buy a French guide and also find some spanish instructions online and translate them using google(the results aren't great). My French guide also takes the Primitivo route down to the Frances and I would rather continue along the Nothern route the whole way.

My question is does anyone know the state of the signage later on in the walk? So far it has all been pretty good but I hear it gets pretty dodgy further on.

And secondly does anyone know of any guides or online instructions anywhere in English?

I'm walking alone so don't really like the idea of wandering about the countryside aimlessly not knowing where I am going, or indeed of extending every stage by constantly going the wrong way.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you look at this thread (el-camino-del-norte/topic12904.html), many of the posts (note Evanlow's March 5 post) will give you some good local guides, most of which should be available from the local turismo.

As far as signing goes, I can only tell you about the Bilbao-San Vicente de la Barquera stretch (as I turned south from there) but I found it quite good. I can't specifically think of a problem stretch although keeping your wits about you as you go through cities is always a good idea. I found the locals to be very helpful, and most of the turismos had English-speaking staff who cheerfully drew me route maps out of towns and cities and called ahead to make sure that accommodation was available.

Just for information I have been following Evan Low's blog, he has lust completed his Camino and happily enjoying himself in his Singapore home.

Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back