• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2014 US cell phone: New plan offers free unlimited cellular data, texting in Spain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne Edminster

Time of past OR future Camino
Paloma-Santiago June-July 2014
Hi all-- just an update. T-mobile offers free roaming and data (via phone, not wifi), as well as free texts, all over Europe, including France and Spain. Phone calls either in Spain or internationally are 20cents a minute, not bad if you use a direct dial only occasionally in emergencies. The unlimited (if a bit slower) data would let you Skype or go online anywhere, without wifi. This is the only American company to offer these freebies, as far as I know. This means I don't have to change a SIM if I only want to make the occasional direct dial call and stick with Facetime, Skype and email.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm on T-Mobile, even though they have free roaming, the data is painfully slow and I'm not paying $50 for 500mb of high speed data. I still find it cheaper to buy a local SIM card with data and voice for €20, incoming calls are free, it's better to have a local number for others to contact you if you book ahead for accommodations.

Thanks, Bajaracer! I have been hearing lately that the data times are getting faster in Europe. The data is unlimited in Europe on their plans, no matter how much you pay for normally in the USA. Just wanted to share this, and will report after I get back. The speed in Europe is 2-3 MB and rising. You raise good points.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I had no problem in June-July 2014 with my Tmobile phone.... data was fine. It just picks up on whatever local cell company is around: Moviestar or Orange. It was amazing actually. No new sim card and no extra charges. It worked well enough for my blog with pictures, right from my phone. Amazing. If you can find a company that just offers free dATA and roaming, I recommend it. Phone calls cost, but unlimited text and roaming data. Fab. http://www.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-international-plans.html and the blog I did with this free data: http://saltworkstudio.com/camino-de-santiago/

Thanks for that first person update, Suzanne.
There has been a lot of talk but first person confirmation of no extra charges was needed.

There has been a lot of talk but first person confirmation of no extra charges was needed.
I want to point out that I got my phone in the USA. If you have Tmobile from another nation it might be different. My husband and I talked every day with Face time (for iphones) between California and Spain and there just were no extra charges for the whole holy trip!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Suzanne, I have T-Mobile and will be doing the Camino this summer. Your post was very helpful. Just to confirm though: Could your husband or anyone else for that matter simply call your normal US number with country code and reach you in Spain if you weren't using Skype or Face time? Did T-Mobile charge .20 a minute to receive calls (as the US cell phone companies do) or only to place them (as the European networks usually do).

Hi Suzanne, I have T-Mobile and will be doing the Camino this summer. Your post was very helpful. Just to confirm though: Could your husband or anyone else for that matter simply call your normal US number with country code and reach you in Spain if you weren't using Skype or Face time? Did T-Mobile charge .20 a minute to receive calls (as the US cell phone companies do) or only to place them (as the European networks usually do).
I will start from Pamplona May 16th -hoping to use my iphone5 and T-Mobile. Debating whether to get a prepaid sim card or not. Wi-Fi calling does not work with the iphone5 and I hear data is slow with T-Mobile. Appreciate any more input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back