• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2015 Accommodation and Walking Schedule Update

High Endeavours

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 13
VdlP 14
LePuy 15
Invierno DosFaros CP 16
88 Templ Japan 17
Sicily Arles-Santiago 18
Norte 19
Hi all.

Most folks walking the Plata this year will have finished or be pretty close to doing so (congratulations on your journey!). Jirit has asked me to take on the 2015 update for this excellent 10 page resource. If you have any comments about albergues and other accommodations on the VdlP please let me know either on this string or with a PM.

Comments about new albergues/accommodations (there were quite a few this year) and of course updates about existing accommodations would be helpful. If available, it would be great if you could include a few details about each accommodations, eg., location, address, phone number, # beds, price, features, etc. Comments about whether or not you liked the accommodation and why would also be helpful. Personally, I found some great places to stay this year. I recently read someone's comment that they just completed some 50+ days along the Plata, so you can imagine how much information they may have available to share on this subject!

If you wish to review the 2014 version of the document it is available in the Resources section close to the top of Most Downloaded.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone so that we can continue to update and improve this resource for those who will follow us next year. I will likely cut off additions in early December and have this available for download in early January before I depart at the end of that month on my next journey.

Thanks everyone.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi all.

Most folks walking the Plata this year will have finished or be pretty close to doing so (congratulations on your journey!). Jirit has asked me to take on the 2015 update for this excellent 10 page resource. If you have any comments about albergues and other accommodations on the VdlP please let me know either on this string or with a PM.

Comments about new albergues/accommodations (there were quite a few this year) and of course updates about existing accommodations would be helpful. If available, it would be great if you could include a few details about each accommodations, eg., location, address, phone number, # beds, price, features, etc. Comments about whether or not you liked the accommodation and why would also be helpful. Personally, I found some great places to stay this year. I recently read someone's comment that they just completed some 50+ days along the Plata, so you can imagine how much information they may have available to share on this subject!

If you wish to review the 2014 version of the document it is available in the Resources section close to the top of Most Downloaded.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone so that we can continue to update and improve this resource for those who will follow us next year. I will likely cut off additions in early December and have this available for download in early January before I depart at the end of that month on my next journey.

Thanks everyone.

Hello. Apologies for the delay in getting this to you. I hope it is of use. I am only more sorry that I didn't take more detailed notes to share.
All the best
Mel
PS happy to send this through in Word format if you give me an email address. It will only let me upload a PDF

Attachments

• Via de la Plata - Mel's accom list.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 168
Hi all.

Thanks everyone.

Hi, High Endeavours, Thanks for keeping this document up to date. I haven't been on the VDLP lately, but when I walked the Levante in 2013, we went from Zamora to Santiago on the Sanabrés, so I do have a couple of things to suggest from that part. I will try to dig up names and phones of some of the places I´ve mentioned. Buen camino, Laurie

Riego del Camino -- store will open at any reasonable hour. There is no sign on the door, because the owners had been robbed twice.

Granja de Moreruela -- short walk from albergue to monastery, well worth a visit if you have time. Maybe 4 km round trip.

Camanzara de la Tera -- one km off Camino about 8 kms after Santa Mata de Tera. Good one star hotel, very reasonable.

Lubian -- rooms also available in Bar Casa Javi, 980 624 068. AVE construction may mean that the rooms are filled with workers, but worth a call if the albergue is full.
In Lubian, a one km walk up from the bar takes you to a "wolf catcher" from several hundred years ago -- it´s a circular enclosure, and as the plaque describes, a lamb was put in the middle for bait. The wolf was able to jump over the wall to get in, but because of the angle of the wall, it couldn´t jump out. A great way to spend an hour or two.

Vilavella, Hotel Spa Vilavella is in town (hostal is further from Camino on the highway coming into town). Special rates for pilgrims if you want to enjoy a spa day. We had a very good breakfast there, and it looked like it would be a fun break to lounge around in water, get massages, etc. I don´t remember the exact rate for pilgrims but I remember thinking it wasn´t outrageous.

Xunqueira de Ambia -- The bar-restaurant on the right side of the road on the way from the albergue into the village center is by far the best place to eat in town. Run by two women who lost their factory jobs several years ago, they have a very welcoming place and good home cooked food. Will serve a meal at any time.

Castro Dozon -- the albergue isn´t small, it has two big rooms with probably 40 or 50 beds. I agree that it is slightly dirty.

And here are a few more places I´ve added to the Invierno guide, which merges with the Sanabrés in Laxe (sorry, I´ve just cut and pasted, you already have info on a lot of these places, but there are a few new things, like the new albergue in Bandeira:

A Laxe 6 km
Albergue de Peregrinos
Hostal Ramos; San Isidro, 24. Tel: 986 580 217
Hotel Spa Oca Katiuska; Outeiro, 52 (this is a four star hotel)
Hostal O Porto; Camilo JosCela, 12.
At the albergue in Laxe, the Camiño de Inverno joins the Via de la Plata. From here the Camino is well marked and well trodden to Santiago! The following towns and distances will give you all you need to plan your remaining days. The most obvious stages are from A Laxe to the albergue in Outeiro (33 km) and from there to Santiago (16 km, allowing for plenty of time to get to the pilgrims’ mass).
Silleda (9.5 km)
Albergues and private accommodation. All services.
On the main street of Silleda, the Bar Toxa offers an occasional pulpo and Ribeira Sacra wine special when you see the pulpo-boiler set up outside the front door. Inexpensive rooms are available upstairs. The farmacia here is known to double its prices for foreign pilgrims.
7km Bandeira
In-town albergue opened in 2013. Pictures and descriptions on the web: http://www.santiagoturismo.com/aloxamentos-santiagoturismo/albergue-de-a-bandeira
Hostal Conde Rey, 986 585 333
Hostal Victorino, 986 585 330
Good food and warm company at Bar Arume. Sandwich vegetal recommended.
13km Ponte Ulla
Día grocery store on the way out of town; stock up if you are going up to the albergue in Outeiro, because there aren’t many options. Excellent panadería and bakery in town right on the Camino, in the block or two after you cross the river.
Bar Ríos. Immediately across the bridge on your right. Tel.: 981 512 305. Restaurant and rooms available. Room prices seem to vary by season, from 10-15-20 €, based on what other pilgrims have reported. Food reported to be quite good. Menú del día 12€, with additional charge for wine after the first glass.
Pensión O Cruceiro da Ulla; 981 512 665; info@ocruceiro.es. Located across the street from the Día grocery store. Newly constructed, pretty charmless, but good service and good prices.
Hostal Churrasco de Juanito; 981 512 619. Located on the Camino, soon after crossing the river. (30€ room, 14€ menú overpriced and not great) (Pilgrim walking in October 2014 reported getting a room for 15€ and a meal for 8€, so walking off-season appears to have its financial benefits).
4.2km Outeiro
Albergue de Vedra, municipal. Very well maintained. Hospitalera provides meals onsite, pretty expensive in terms of price/quality.
Beautiful pilgrim fountain.
About a ten minute walk downhill from the albergue is the beautifully restored rural hotel, Pazo dos Galegos. http://www.pazodegalegos.com/en/index.html Family estate still producing wine, comfortable and cozy with lots of creature comforts. Contact for special pilgrim prices. This would be a very nice splurge!
6km Lestedo
Fine casa rural: Casa de Casal; Tel: 981 503 227; http://www.casadecasal.com/
Good lunch specials at Restaurante Via de la Plata along the carretera.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your contributions Stripe Socks...I sent you a PM with my email address. Laurie, as usual many thanks for all your information. I will begin to update the schedule fairly soon. It would be nice to keep this living document current as I know that it has been widely used the past year or two.

Best,
Geoff

Hi, Geoff,
A few more comments now that I have my notes in front of me.

Camarzana de Tera is 2 km off the Camino at a junction after Santa Marta de Tera. Hotel Juan Manuel, tel. 980-649-019. 30 euros for private room with bath, dinner, and breakfast.

Under Calzadilla de Tera, the list shows the Juan Manuel, but it's in Camarzana. As is Pension Amanecer. I also don't know what that line referring to hogar de jubilados is, there must be some confusion of the Juan Manuel with some public albergue. This site shows that Calzadilla has an albergue in the Hogar de Jubilado. http://www.alatoz.com/santi_AlbergSE-2.htm

Olleros -- the La Trucha albergue is connected to a bar that serves meals, and it's donativo

Villar de Farfon -- (a very short walk from Olleros, mmaybe about 6 or so before Mombuey) -- Craig Wallace and Family, www.pilgrimmission.org, email craigdotw@yahoo.co.uk, tel. (34) 647 29 73 90. Donativo albergue, donativo coffee, drinks, and cookies for anyone passing by.

For Hotel Spa Vilavella: Tel. 988 59 42 42, reservas@hotelspavilavella.es; www.hotelspavilavella.es
The pilgrim price for a double room, all spa treatments, and bkfst is 75 euros.

Name of restaurant in Xunqueira de Ambia -- Bocateria Beje. Calle Asdrubal Ferreiro, 13 (main street from albergue into town). wifi

Thanks again Laurie...great to receive more information.
Best,
Geoff

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just to confirm that the albergue in Calzadilla de Tera is on the first floor, above the hogar de jubilados, 6 single beds, loo and shower with hot water.

There are a couple of albergues on the Sanabrés that don't seem to be included. At Cernedilla, 8km west of Mombuey, a municipal albergue with 4 places, loo, hot water and shower, tel 980 664424. 2km further on, at San Salvador de Palazuelo is another of the same, tel 980 644424. Neither village has a bar or shop (that I saw) so anybody staying in either should stock up in Mombuey.

Might also be worth mentioning that the Casa Luz (private) albergue on the entrance to Puebla de Sanabria has a notice on its door saying it's closed until 1 March, probably since the beginning of the month. Quite agree about avoiding La Trucha across the road, I made the mistake of staying there 2 years ago and it was dire. So I carried on into town and am now in the very comfortable Hostal Carlos V in the centre of town, €35 bed and breakfast (about the same as the Trucha) and my en suite has a full length bath, o joy!

Last edited:
What's wrong with La Trucha? Stayed there in 2013 and it was good but if I went again I would like to stay up the hill in the old town.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are a couple of albergues on the Sanabrés that don't seem to be included. At Cernedilla, 8km west of Mombuey, a municipal albergue with 4 places, loo, hot water and shower, tel 980 664424. 2km further on, at San Salvador de Palazuelo is another of the same, tel 980 644424. Neither village has a bar or shop (that I saw) so anybody staying in either should stock up in Mombuey.

That's good information to have because the albergue in Mombuey is small. One group of cyclists and it can fill up. I don't have a specific memory of either of the two towns Alan mentions, but there are a few little gems after Mombuey, so if you're looking for quiet and nothing to do, push on after Mombuey!

Hi all. I wanted to pass along that unfortunately after numerous attempts I was unable to open and update the document that Jirit previously completed and forwarded to me. We have exchanged numerous emails about the issues and it appears that Jirit is the only person who can open the document. However as he is away he doesn't have access to the original schedule. And as I'm about to leave home for a 3 month travel and with Jirit still absent, the promised update will likely not happen this year.

The best I can suggest to others planning to walk this year is to print out the original schedule and make the changes suggested by the contributors who kindly participated in this string. I used Jirit's schedule from time to time in 2014 and it worked out nicely. Yes, there are new albergues on the Plata since the schedule was written, but you will have no problem finding these as often there are brochures in many of the albergues several days walk ahead of the new facilities. There are generally plenty of beds and reservations are typically not required. I usually had a bunk to myself most nights...walked in May and June. The other option is to purchase a German or French guide even if you don't have the language skills as they are well laid out and each albergue is rated with a shell (star) system where more shells indicate better accommodations. There are also many perigrinos from these two countries who are usually more than happy to share their guide information with you and discuss various options. You might have to reward their generosity with a glass of vino tinto, but this simply make for a better discussion! No need to be concerned, there are lots of beds and many good albergues on this route.

Those walking this year, have an amazing experience. I think you will find it to be an outstanding and very rewarding journey. I may find it hard to beat this year.

Very best wishes and safe journeys,
Geoff

Real de la Jara

Avoid Lacasadelreal

He will only accept a two night stay

Is the 2015 update available now?

Rajy, as per my January comment above, there won't be an update this year. Just use the existing schedule and you will be fine. Have a great Camino, the VdlP is special.

Hello fellow Plata/Sanabrés lovers.
I have decided to take this on.
PLEASE post any new information here so that I can update with the most current information.
With your help we can keep the list up to date.
Cheers
LT

@jirit The latest version of the guide is available. Information is per August 2015. I included as best I could the information provided by members of the forum as well as information from a Spanish FB page which also has an up to date guide of all the municipals. I will e-mail the file to you so that you can upload it to the resourses section.

There are quite a few additions and corrections so unfortunately it is longer than the original.
I have also added accommodations up to Astorga as that is the original route (at Granja is the fork).
As far as known I also added information as to whether the albergue is open all year round and if not when closed.

Hope that it will be put to good use!

Cheers,
LT

@jirit The latest version of the guide is available. Information is per August 2015. I included as best I could the information provided by members of the forum as well as information from a Spanish FB page which also has an up to date guide of all the municipals. I will e-mail the file to you so that you can upload it to the resourses section.

There are quite a few additions and corrections so unfortunately it is longer than the original.
I have also added accommodations up to Astorga as that is the original route (at Granja is the fork).
As far as known I also added information as to whether the albergue is open all year round and if not when closed.

Hope that it will be put to good use!

Cheers,
LT
You are da bomb, LT. Can't wait to use this resource! And now, my dear, we need to write something about our Camino Catalán. I am going to start a thread, and I will go day by day. Your input would be great! Stay tuned. Abrazos.

Hi, Geoff,

Camarzana de Tera is 2 km off the Camino at a junction after Santa Marta de Tera. Hotel Juan Manuel, tel. 980-649-019. 30 euros for private room with bath, dinner, and breakfast.

Under Calzadilla de Tera, the list shows the Juan Manuel, but it's in Camarzana. As is Pension Amanecer. I also don't know what that line referring to hogar de jubilados is, there must be some confusion of the Juan Manuel with some public albergue. This site shows that Calzadilla has an albergue in the Hogar de Jubilado. http://www.alatoz.com/santi_AlbergSE-2.htm

Olleros -- the La Trucha albergue is connected to a bar that serves meals, and it's donativo

Villar de Farfon -- (a very short walk from Olleros, mmaybe about 6 or so before Mombuey) -- Craig Wallace and Family, www.pilgrimmission.org, email craigdotw@yahoo.co.uk, tel. (34) 647 29 73 90. Donativo albergue, donativo coffee, drinks, and cookies for anyone passing by.

For Hotel Spa Vilavella: Tel. 988 59 42 42, reservas@hotelspavilavella.es; www.hotelspavilavella.es

Name of restaurant in Xunqueira de Ambia -- Bocateria Beje. Calle Asdrubal Ferreiro, 13 (main street from albergue into town). wifi
This restaurant in Xunqueira de Ambia has closed, apparently definitively. I agree that their cooking and the views were by far the best in the village.
Sad...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This restaurant in Xunqueira de Ambia has closed, apparently definitively. I agree that their cooking and the views were by far the best in the village.
Sad...
I am so sorry to hear that. This was a restaurant opened by two close friends who had lost their jobs at a factory (textile, I think). One of the women lives right next door, I just can't figure out why it would have closed. So sad. Thanks for the info. Laurie

Hi, Geoff,

Ad do not sleep at the Mombuey Albergue, it is infected by bugs that will bite your legs all night. This is told by experience...

Just a heads-up:

1) I did not include info on restaurants! IMHO that is an entirely other topic (not for me as I am definitely not a foodie although I will never refuse a good glass of wine). This is a guide on accommodations only.

2) Comments about bedbugs in albergues also do not belong in this thread. Once a bedbug does not mean always a bedbug.

Do welcome corrections / additions once the list is uploaded (probably today or tomorrow). I used an Excel file and want to upload it in PDF.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A new PDF version of Jirit's Vía de la Plata Waking & Accommodation Guide is now available in the Resource section:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-accommodation-guide-version-august-2015.408/
It includes information from Sevilla to Astorga and through Ourense on the Sanabrés.
Jirit has asked me to take over the project and will remove the previous version.

All future comments and additions or corrections please direct to me.

Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back